Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 mental block on wahine 'ilikea
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  5:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha,

i have a really simple question that i'm hoping some of you can answer.

i've worked out most of wahine 'ilikea - that is, the version by david kamakahi (he plays it in taro patch tuned down to F). it's pretty simple (a lot of its beauty comes from that simplicity).
the part that stumps me, though, is when he goes into the verse from the chorus.

so, he's singing "wahine 'ilikea i ka poli o molokai, no ka heke" alternating between G and C (actually, F and Bb) with the open fingerings of both. he then runs up to the C (actually Bb) barred at the fifth fret when he starts singing "nani wale noe na wailele uka...".

i can't figure out that run up to C. it sounds like it is down on the low string - strings four and five - perhaps using parallel sixths?

can anyone tell me what's he's doing?

mahalo nui loa,
keith

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  10:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Keith,

You got me started on this song with your post at AMH a while back. This is how I hear the transition to the C chord. I pick the 2nd, 3rd, & 5th strings. Hope this works graphically.

G fret-open
D G D G B D
X O X O O X
===========
| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

X O X O O X
===========
| | | | X |

| X | | | |

| | | | | |

X O X O O X
===========
| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| | | | X |

| X | | | |

| | | | | |

X O O O O X
===========
| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| X | | X |
(5th fret)

My question is that once you get to the C chord, do you barre the C chord at the 5th fret? When I listen to Dennis's recording I hear the 4th string D ringing in the bass pattern (5-4-4, 5-4-4). So as you can see above, I have left the 4th string open. When I play it, sometimes I barre the C chord, sometimes I play it as indicated above.

My problem is trying to memorize lyrics. I only know about 1/4 of these lyrics.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Aloha,
Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2002 :  2:00:45 PM  Show Profile
Eh wasssssup Keith!

slackkey here, did you ever figure out the missing chord to take you back to C after singing the chorus of "Wahine 'Ilikea"? Andy's print-out is really effective! That's a mark of a Professional....."Andy! Wow!"

Anyway Keith, try this....if you haven't already done so....Now....this.....this is coming from a "Backyard-Style, dunno how to read Tabs or know chords. I "JUS PRESS....and "Kanikajammapila" kine of guy....

Okay....you're singing the chorus....then you come to 'wahine 'Ilikea I ka poli o Moloka'i no ka heke....by this time you should be open.....now take your (if you're right handed) take your index finger (2nd fret)...press the G-string....now with your ring-finger (on the 3rd fret)...press the D-string, and from there, go right into C. Did you get it? Or did I confuse you?

Let me know okay! A Hui Hou!

slackkey

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2002 :  09:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey, andy and slackkey, thank you!

andy, yes, that's right, we started an alternative tuning thread awhile back. after bashing around, i settled on leonard's C as my second tuning to play with. i learned "ke'ala's mele" from mark's book and worked out "isa lei" (my default first song to try because it's easy and pretty). i'm findinging it easier to improvise in leonard's C than in taro patch.

anyway, yup, that's the chord sequence! i hadn't thought about using such a wide interval. and, you're right, that's a mid-D that he plays as part of his bass pattern (C E G - C E G - C E C - E G D - E G D - E D E maybe? it's hard to hear around his singing). i didn't hear it until you pointed it out. it works, too, which surprises me. i got a lot to learn.

slackkey, that's a nice transition, and your explanation is just fine. i like the idea of just pressin', and am getting that way with the uke. i guess i have to since there's not a lot of good music written down for picking the ukulele and there's a lot of great players you can listen to. i worked out a version of "wahine 'ilikea" by listening to david's recording and trying to do something similar on the ukulele. it's taking me a lot longer to be able to do this with guitar, but maybe i'm slowing getting there...

andy, on learning the words, the only way i can do it is to sit down with a Hawaiian language grammar and dictionary and work through the lyrics learning what they mean. it takes longer initially but i don't forget them if i do this.

aloha from encinitas,
keith

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000