Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 12 Fret guitars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  4:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
Just curious, do Taro Patchers have any opinion (silly question) on 12 fret to the body guitars? Say for example the 12 fret Martin slot head steel string model.

I have a friend that is looking to buy one for beginning Slack Key.

Bing

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2003 :  6:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi Bing -

Personally, I love 12 fret guitars. I think they are ideal slack key instruments -- the bridge is in just the right part of the body for a rich fullness.

I had one built for me a few years back by Jerry Nolte, Evergreen Mountain Instruments. 12 fret nect, slot head, and a cutaway. It's a beaut -- koa w/ cedar top & koa pickguard. Great voice, lot's of fun to play. The cutaway may affect the tone slightly but it sure helps you reach those higher frets! And slot heads are so light and cool looking. There's a picture on my website: http://www.mark-o.com

I played one of the new 12 fret, slot head Martins just the other day. Holy cow, great guitar!

Hope to see you again sometime!

Cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  12:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Probably not what you're looking for, but my Larrivee Parlor (which also happens to be a 12 fret guitar) is the guitar I play most. (Partly because I can lay on the couch while playing, but that's beside the point.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  12:49:45 AM  Show Profile
For those who take the nylon course usually there is no choice; it's 12 frets every time unless you get one of those aberrations from steel string makers.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  2:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
For those who take the nylon course usually there is no choice; it's 12 frets every time unless you get one of those aberrations from steel string makers.

Yow, that's sharp!

Well, speaking of aberrations, I have one for sale. And a dandy little aberation it is, too. I'll be posting info on the appropriate forum later today.

For the record, if you are going to play nylon string guitar with a full-bore fusion band on stage in front of a couple thousand people (been there, done that... probably won't ever again. sigh), I'd suggest a thin-line electric. No feed back to blow out everybody's eardrums...

Later,

M.

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  7:28:55 PM  Show Profile
Pauline,
Getting a cutaway makes it easy to get at those higher frets on a classical. I don't play up there too often, cause the tone gets too thin for me. I try to keep things right in the middle.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  9:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Bing,
I have a Martin D-15S, which is the all mahogany 12 fret, and if you tune it to taropatch(dgdgbd low to high)it sounds a little loose. Not bad, just not real focused. The all mahogany dreadnought body has a warm, dark, boomy sound. If you are playing alone, it probably won't matter. But to be heard with others, a smaller body guitar, with a tight, focused bass and good treble might be a better choice. This is usually a shallower body guitar than a dreadnought.
This is just an educated(guitar ear) guess. I'm new to Slack Key, all I can play so far is my own version of Lei Ka'aha Point, and I'm the only one who knows what it is when I'm playing it!
Also, on the 12 fret, the fretboard is a little wider, along with it being harder to access the upper notes toward the body. If your fingers aren't long enough, it can be difficult. This is similar to the nylon string situation-wider fretboard, 12 frets. But oh, what a sound the classical guitar has for slack key! I'll put up with the shortcomings to get that sound!
Others prefer the steel string-again, if you want to be heard in a group(or hear yourself) the steel string probably is better in that regard. And that would point to the regular 14 fret, smaller, shallower body, focused sound.
I hope that helps.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Edited by - bluespiderweb on 10/13/2003 10:55:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  10:40:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Yow, that's sharp!

I've never tried a Turner Rennaisance nylon string or a Godin Multiac in nylon. Now that would be interesting.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  10:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Nylon strings ... classical guitars .... I'll take that sound anyday over a steel string. To me, it just has more soul in it.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2003 :  11:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
Good lord, what have done!!!

Bing
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  11:46:41 AM  Show Profile
there i go again:

i just want to second the martin 00015 S recomendation.
this is really a good instrument: cool looking, great sound easy to play; and as far as i'm concerened, no problem with the bass...you just have to learn how to use it! and best of all ther're very affordable(even if they weren't i'd get one); check one out, really.

allan

b3d
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  3:48:42 PM  Show Profile
Bing,
After a while you get to know the regular contributors - like for me - I almost always jump on an opportunity to encourage people to develop their own styles and not just "play like ...x...", I also love to champion the cause of nylon/classical guitars - just love that sound, have since I was a kid.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2003 :  6:20:02 PM  Show Profile
Bing,

Raymond is totally right of course, but I do admit buying a Martin 12-fretter, a 000-16sgt, in an aberrant moment. I'll even admit it's a very nice guitar for slack key and other music, almost as nice as my classicals.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  11:52:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Bing

You really are getting them to come out of the woodwork. My main instruments are all 12 fret, including a custom built 12 string. The luthier I chose ( www.johnfmello.com is his site ) was trained as a classical luthier, but has a special touch with steel strings. He also reconditioned a ladies parlour guitar from 1897 (Washburn)and converted it to steel string. It is a cannon with a neck as small as an electric. Personal taste, I know, but I feel that the harmonics sound better on 12 fret instruments, especially in Taro Patch or G Wahine tuning. Also, it provides some psychological comfort, using a guitar that looks like something people might have played over a century ago.

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000