Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Guitar for Geeks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  11:37:04 AM  Show Profile
An interesting technical discussion of guitar sound production is at the following URL:
http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/music/guitar/

They have some really good and not very difficult to understand explanations for the way guitars sound (like, why does a guitar sound different when you are not facing it), why they are built the way they are, and lots of good pictures and diagrams.

Some of the site is under construction and the internal links don't always work - use the side menu links. But, all in all, very informative and fun.

...Reid

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  1:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hi Reid, very interesting guitar info. I am looking at my instruments a little differently now. Also thinking about different ways to pick and strum. Mahalos for the enlightenment...
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  9:08:13 PM  Show Profile
Reid,
This looks like a great website, thanks! But it will have to wait until I am not so tired, and have more brainpower!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  10:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Anyone who does a pictorial study of how black sand responds to a vibrating guitar soundboard MUST have a background in slack key!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  11:37:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow, excellent site -- thanks Reid,
I'm going to try to print out the text and diagrams and keep it for both future reference and for passing out to folks who take lessons from me.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  2:36:38 PM  Show Profile
Also, for people who are interested in this kinda stuff, do a search on Al Carruth's posts on the 13th Fret and on rmmga. He is a luthier (Fran Guidry plays one of his on our TP CD) and teacher of luthiery (build your own) and he really knows all this stuff and does some homestyle experiments.

As for the blacksand-ki ho`alu connection, these guys are from OZ, so they are probably all over Hawai`i all the time. No doubt, because most people use plastic glitter chaff.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  04:26:28 AM  Show Profile
Reid, you RawK!!
Nice site. I'll be spending a little time there I'm sure.

Solar flares are making my computer iffy at best, therefor, since I got on...I'm gonna use this to kill a couple of birds...

Andy, got your message on yahoo, but now thats down, so I can't write or check mail.

My laptop mocks
me always

Anyway just wanted to say...try not being to log on to this site for a week or so...I feel so ...so..uninformed!

Aloha to you all, I may be outta touch for a bit yet

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  02:46:44 AM  Show Profile

Ummm, Reid? Plastic glitter chaff? I've never heard such a precise definition of the stuff, if it's what I'm thinking of. . . . .
What might you suggest they use it for?

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  10:26:06 AM  Show Profile
Cathe,
Glitter is like colored aluminized mylar chips, about 1/64" on a side. When they excite the wood of the top or back by putting it on top of a speaker connected to a signal generator, they pour the glitter on the horizontal wood, and the glitter collects in the nodes of the vibration mode, forming a pattern like those on the site. The pattern tells you how the wood is vibrating at specific frequencies. We saw Kawika Hurd do it in his shop in Hilo, and one of our guitars (a Blanchard) has "Baby Pictures",made during its construction,that include a "Chladni Pattern" of the top.

If I didn't explain it well, look at the pix on the site.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 10/31/2003 10:27:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  9:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
wow - i go away for awhile, and all this great stuff comes out! (okay, when i'm around great stuff comes out too).

thanks, reid!!

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  10:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Hey Keith -
not burned out, huh?
Good
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  12:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi raymond!

thanks! i'm not burned out on guitar, but too much travel. it's nice to be home...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  02:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Reid, that site is fascinating. Mahalo, and for explaining it to me before I even hit the opening page <G> Would love to see the pattern on my beautiful new koa Po Mahaina baritone 'ukulele.

cathe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000