Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Live Recording Equipment? HELP!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  6:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,
I am looking for something to digitally record live music. I used to have a good portable casette recorder that worked ok, but I would like to find something that works somewhat better-not pro sound, but good for taking to festivals, guitar repair sessions(I am learning), practicing slack key, etc.
I would like it to interface with my PC, to store the music and information. Does anyone know of such beasts? I am thinking of keeping the cost below $200, and hopefully not that high. I have seen some online, but I am not sure of their capabilities. Someone must have some experience with these, yes?
Mahalo for your help!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  9:25:31 PM  Show Profile

I recommend a MiniDisc Recorder. The new ones actually record at quite a good quality level. I have used three different models made by Sony but the Sharp units also get good ratings from field users. Go to www.minidisc.org for more opinions and reviews. There are Audio CD recorders that will almost fit your budget (at $350 or so) but these are home-style plug-in units (not true field recorders). There are some CDR field recorders but be prepared to spend $1500.

You can search this site with the keyword "recorder" and get lots of info.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  12:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Minidisc would also be my recommendation, but that under-$200 budget makes it a bit of a challenge, especially since Sony has started leaving mike input (and therefore mike pre-amps) off their least expensive models. If you go to just under $300, there's the Sony MZ-B10, which has a built-in mono mike and stereo speakers, and for another $50-75 or so, the MZ-B100 has stereo mikes and a mono speaker. (Go figure.)

These are both very compact field recorders aimed at journalists and such, but I've made very decent concert recordings with my B-100. Add an external mike and it does an even better job.

My source for these would be B&H Photo in NYC--very reliable on-line/mail-order folks. E-Bay makes me nervous--too much refurbished, abused-used, stolen, and plain misrepresented stuff for my nervous constitution.

I always have an eye out for field-recording gear, but so far MD is the only technology that does what I need to do. (Actually DAT works, too, but it's pricey and on the delicate side. Mine's semi-retired.)
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  8:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Lawrence & Russell,
Looks like I'll get a cheaper IC recorder for the guitar repair sessions, and save up for a music recorder for later, probably minidisc.
I wanted to solve both at once, and sometimes, that isn't possible.
Does anyone still use the old fashioned cassette recorder for jam sessions or lessons? Something like the Marantz 2 Speed recorders PMD101 or 201? How are they for quality?-again, I'm not looking for pro quality, just good quality that's usable. It would be nice to be able to interface with the computer, but, it doesn't have to be.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  9:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
I have a Sony mini disc recorder Model MZ-N707 which does everything you would need to do. This model sells for $200. at Best Buy. I got mine new on Ebay for $137. brand new and I am very happy with it. I did purchase a mocrophone separately for $50. but prices vary a lot on microphones and they are available much cheaper. JlSulle
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  10:07:04 PM  Show Profile
Jerry,
Thanks alot, I will check this one out-the price sounds much better!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000