Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Asturias ukuleles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  8:48:58 PM  Show Profile
I brought home an Asturias ukulele this weekend. I haven't heard anything about them, other than seeing them in Eric Schoenberg's store at www.om28.com .

The ukulele I bought is a very classic design - based off the Martin Style 0. The top, back and sides are koa, and the neck is mahogany. There is no body or neck binding. The finish is a satin laquer.

Pics are here, if anyone's interested:

http://home.att.net/~john.b.on.the.web/asturias.htm

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  10:22:19 PM  Show Profile
Very nice John. Any your pictures are far better then those on Schoenberg's site.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  10:32:19 AM  Show Profile
It looks great, John. How's it sound? Is the intonation true?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  02:06:14 AM  Show Profile
The intonation is pretty true, although at the 12th fret the G string harmonic doesn't match the fretted note. So, a little off. Each fret seems to be true, though.

It's very loud - louder than I would have thought from such a small little instrument. And quite a lot of sound comes out of the soundhole itself - I can get a "wah-wah" effect very easily by moving my right hand over the soundhole. Unfortunately, my only other similar uke is my Islander - I don't seem to get the same wah effect with it, and I haven't noticed it with other ukes I've picked up to play.

My wife says the sound is very "bell-like" and sweet, like a music box.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000