Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 guitar question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  1:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know anything about this guitar

http://www.sell.com/2G39W

Steve

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  2:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't know...seems a little suspect. That URL is the only place that shows up on Google for "jaslee guitars" despite the fact that the seller claims they're selling in the UK for $1200. Also bear in mind that the seller has no rating for sell.com, meaning that you would be doing an $800 transaction with a complete unknown (seller and guitar). I personally wouldn't go anywhere near it unless I could talk with someone else who had bought that guitar from that seller and had a good experience with both.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/06/2004 2:28:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  2:44:15 PM  Show Profile
Craig,

I agree 100% looks a little funny to me.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

danimal
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  3:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Does this guitar have a round ("shell") back, like an Ovation but made out of wood??

Never seen that before...not that that means anything. What does mean something, though, is that it seems that nobody's ever heard of this outfit. Plus, since it's located overseas, returning it could be a nightmare.

Dan
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  4:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Novel!

I'd be concerned with the stability of the back. That is a large chunk of carved wood, and if the left and right sides warped, how would you repair them? I'll also bet it's heavy. There is a line of ukuleles called Akulele or Akalele with a one piece carved back, not rounded BTW, that are very nice but heavier than usual. I think I'm saying the concept works on a small scale.

The ad is currently disabled.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  6:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Unless I had no expectations and lots of cash, I'd never buy a guitar I hadn't seen and played.
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  9:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Here is the ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2571757641

interesting but not for me.thanks

Steve

Steve
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:20:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Yikes...notice that it went for $300 on eBay with only 1 bidder. And the guy has no sales feedback on eBay either.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:27:35 AM  Show Profile
I asked on the AG forum and got some responses. Cebu, where they are made, is noted in the Philippines for both their players and their guitars, but I think I'd want to try one first or have a good trial period getting it mail order. The ebay offer included a 15 day trial period. That's generous.

Steve, the AG thread is http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/015905.html

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  1:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Interesting thread.
I have a cousin going to Philippines on business later this year - he said he'll be near Cebu and see what he can find. (He's a very experienced classical guitar player) -- if he brings back anything interesting I'll post a note about it, and, hopefully, an address or number for contact.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  8:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Cebu has really good mangoes too and the best dried mangoes you've ever tasted! (They show up in Costco every now and then as "Philippine Brand.")

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 01/07/2004 11:35:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:41:24 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, they rival the best of what I've gotten from farmer's markets in HI. (I tried one that somehow "cleared" customs.) Will check out the dried ones - if anyone else doesn't know, mangoes contain a substance which, when mixed with human digestive juices, becomes the enzyme responsible for the neurological basis of alternate thumb picking.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  12:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it typical that with any discussion between local people either in or out of Hawai'i, that the topic will eventually turn to food? I love that about us.

So here's my 2 cents on Costco. I think TaroPatch members should petition Costco to have a Hawaiian week at one location in each of their major city's. Bring in all the Ono Grinds we can only get while we are home in the islands. Portugese sausage, kamaboko, crack seed, laulau etc. I know I can get some of that locally in Portland, but not in 3 packs! And not at Costco prices either. Bring in all the local literature too like cookbooks, reference materials, etc.

Heck, might as well set up the tailgate parties in the parking lot too!!

Doug
Perpetuate the Music of Your Culture, for in the Music, the Story is told.

Edited by - Douglas23d on 01/10/2004 12:10:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  10:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
That's a very interesting guitar. I've lived in the Philippines and bought a couple guitars there years ago. Two things to remember are that taking that guitar from the Philippines to the states means a big change of humidity and the wood may move a little. Secondly, that guitar probably sells for pennies on the dollar on the street in Cebu, so you should shop around if you can. Unique but inexpensive merchandise from Asia can show up on websites like sell.com with the hope that an American with too much money will buy it.
Mabuhay! Aloha!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Jaslee Guitars
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  10:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jaslee Guitars's Homepage
Greetings, I am the owner of Jaslee Guitars and am flattered an interest has surfaced over these instruments. Here is the story. We are based in Red Hook, New York 12571 and work with a luthier in Cebu for this production line as of the Spring 2003. The first guitar posting/model found on Sell.com can now be considered a prototype and we have move onwards and upwards. That guitar was known as the '8000 Series.' It was shown to many musicians and the feedback was greatly appreciated. The new instrument inventory has been upgraded with a fully adjustable truss rod, 4 band eq, all mahogany body and sealed gear machines. The issue of the body 'warping' isnt going to happen. Its just too solid and there are no seems other than the top and middle. Its hand carved from two solid blocks -a design idea not found here in North America. And yes, it is a bit heavier (not by much) however the sustain and resonance are great. There could be shrinkage if the instrument is left out in the NY cold -like all wooden guitars. Our back stock is kept at constant temp and humidity and are not sliding. Is Jaslee well known at this point?? No. Are we honest?? Yes. I believe in these instruments and have great compassion for the craftsmen. Its a true cottage industry. Over thirty people are involved in the creation. It takes months to make one guitar primarily because they are not rushed. These instruments are also not cheap. Many guitars in Cebu are indeed cheap but I pay a higher price myself because I have requested a higher-end export quality product from the luthier, pay additional costs to supply electronics and higher end tuners and a whopping air cargo bill. Are the customers happy? Very. These instuments are downright exquisite. I offered them on Ebay as an introduction -basically as an advertising forum and open demo market. I sell most of them directly here in Upstate NY and for a higher price. I guess seeing is believing. Ebay is fun...but only for bargain hunters and honest dealers like myself. 2004 should bring new energy to these instruments. Jaslee.com will be opening with five new models including acoustic basses, double cut design 6 strings, a 12 string and a new hand made fiberglass body adorned in a brown shell. It will take months for these to be completed. Philip Russo (Jaslee Guitars) prusso(at)netstep.net

Exotic Tonewoods, Exceptional Performance
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  11:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Well, there you have it. Andy, how close are you to Red Hook?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000