Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ho! A New Language Resource!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  12:24:36 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou,

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou e na hoa ki ho'alu!

Although my brain has been stuffed with French for the past coupla weeks, I am back to my love of ka 'olelo ..... and I just discovered that our delightful Kaliko Beamer-Trapp, hanai braddah of Keola and a Hawaiian language expert and teacher, is part of a team that developed a new "immersion course" on CD: "Total Immersion Hawaiian."

So for all you who have been asking about how to learn some Hawaiian, check it out at www.mele.com. It's only $22.95 for 8 lessons (8 CDs). And no, I don't work for Auntie Maria :-) I'm just going to order it, myself.

Designed to replicate everyday situations you'll experience in Hawai`i, the Instant Immersion™ Hawaiian course fully prepares you for interaction among native Hawaiian speakers. Developed by university professors and linguistic experts (including Kaliko Beamer-Trapp), this thorough curriculum moves you from beginning speaking level to intermediate level, fast: simply hear the words in Hawaiian, their English translation, and then repeat. Starting with a complete phonetic introduction to the alphabet (in which vocabulary is used to demonstrate each sound), this 8-CD set focuses on building a strong base of fundamental vocabulary. Each subsequent CD reinforces concepts from previous lessons, ensuring retention and progress. As you advance, you'll easily apply verbs and vocabulary to dialogue both formal and informal, while the cultural notes introduce you to individual Hawaiian islands, traditions, and etiquette. From greetings and questions to colors and common expressions, Instant Immersion™ Hawaiian is the easiest, fastest way to speak the Hawaiian language with confidence.

E ku`ai mai ana au i keia mea hou, 'oiai 'ano ma'alahi paha na'u, no ka mea, 'o ko'u makemake ka 'ohi 'ana i na kumuwaiwai 'olelo! Eia na'e, ko'iko'i loa ka lohe 'ana i ka 'olelo, 'a'ole ka heluhelu wale no.

me ke aloha,
Sarah

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  1:19:56 PM  Show Profile
The 8-CD course progresses fairly quickly, but is not over-whelming. I'm about to start the 3rd CD. In 2 CDs (about 2 hours) you progress from practicing the alphabet and vowel combinations to translating things like "You and I will become very famous!" vs "We are all very famous" (sounds trival in English, but more interesting in Hawaiian).

The course was written by Kaliko and a woman named Kiele, and they both take turns with the lessons. After the first (intro) CD, each CD represents an island, and begins with a slack-key piece and a story (all in Hawaiian) representing the island. Then, they dive in with the lessons, which help translate the story.

Again, content and vocals are Kaliko and Kiele. Cover photography is by Arna. There is slack key sprinkled through-out the CDs, but no credit is listed anywhere.

Sarah, it is most likely too simple for you, but I think you will still enjoy it. I like hearing Kaliko's voice...and even though he is being very professional, you can still hear his intonations and humor coming through.

$22.95 seems an amazing bargin for 8 hours of instruction. Auntie Maria's first shipment sold out, but she scrambled for more and I got mine in the mail Christmas Eve (mahalo nui, Auntie!). Plus, for those of you who are visual learners (like myself), Kaliko has posted transcripts on his website.

A hui ho!

Puna
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  2:12:27 PM  Show Profile
I bought it from Auntie Maria and it's pretty good. I wish there was a translation for the stories that are in Hawaiian. I can eventually get most of the intent, but the stories use phrases that are not discussed in the lesson. You'll need your Pukui! It helps, but single word translations miss a lot of intent. Go to the web site and print the lessons; they also help a lot.

Still a steal for $20.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  2:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Where is the Web site?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  4:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the mini reviews, Eric and Terry. You're right, I imagine a lot of the material will be already familiar to me, but there is always a benefit to listening to the spoken word and getting practice understanding aurally. And hearing the accents done properly is always helpful. I can find lots of reading material, but the spoken word is harder to come by.

The stories in Hawaiian have no translations? ...or are they on Kaliko's website (how do I find that?) ? I'm actually intrigued, because I find it an interesting challenge to try to understand stories without the "crutch" of a translation...

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  5:38:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow - even knowing that the lessons were on Kaliko's website, it took a bit of looking about to finally find them. Go to www.drmacnut.com and click on Pan-Polynesia and you will see the cover graphic for the CD set, or you can also use www.panpolynesia.net.
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  7:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Sarah!

Nope...no translations for the stories. That's up to the haumana to figure out. On the CD, he says not to expect to understand the stories completely. He'd really like you to listen to them to get the flavor and cadence of the 'olelo, to get the ear used to hearing Hawaiian - which was a spoken language, originally.

Use the panpolynesia site, but without the extra period in Islandboo's post:

www.panpolynesia.net

then goto 'Tropics Hawaiian'

Puna
Go to Top of Page

AuntyD
Aloha

24 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  01:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit AuntyD's Homepage
Aloha ka~kou,

I'd e-mailed my friend this morning about this set, only to find this ongoing lively discussion tonight. Here the two cents that I shared with her this morning:

"I received those Instant Immersion Hawaiian language CDs about two months ago. They are VERY well done. A friend turned me on to them and asked what I thought of them. I am no language expert, just a student. I listened to all eight discs, and I was pleased to report back that this is a most efficient and effective mode to get introduced to Hawaiian. I wrote my thoughts about them then:

quote:
It is SUPERB!
Kaliko Tripp Beamer (the narrator) did a fabulous job. What a fantastic way to get introduced to learning Hawaiian. Well-organized, quickly paced (not for the slouch), and fun, too!

Kaliko is English, and yes, there is a bit of his English inflection. Just as islanders have a pidgin inflection when they speak "good English." It is, however, not a distraction once I got used to it. The benefits of the program far exceed this, that can't be helped.

I RECOMMEND it with pu`uwai piha (full heart), as I know it will further the language immeasurably. I am so pleased and proud of Kaliko's wonderful effort

The price is right! What an unbelievable deal for so much content and quality.

Years ago, my then-Northern California 'ohana knew Kaliko (Simon Trapp, now Kaliko Beamer Trapp) up there before he met Nona Beamer through their hula halau. Once he met Aunty Nona his passion for all things Polynesian was ignited, much as Keali'i Reichel ignited my own for my Hawaiian heritage and culture.

Not only did Kaliko embrace the Hawaiian culture with wide open arms, years later, he is now sharing it with countless others through these language CDs. I believe it is a true giving back to the culture. Our music and language brought joy and meaning to a haole boy from New Zealand. He became a Hawaiian at heart in the most literal way, as the heart --or should I say, na'au -- the guts -- of the Hawaiian culture lies in its words and the mana they hold."

Me ke Aloha,
AD

"Aloha is...":
http://www.geocities.com/moekeale2020/alohalesson.htm

Edited by - AuntyD on 01/09/2004 02:09:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  1:35:14 PM  Show Profile
"Use the panpolynesia site, but without the extra period in Islandboo's post"

Oops - that extra period was there for grammatical purposes only. Sorry for any confusion.

Debbie B
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  2:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by islandboo

"Use the panpolynesia site, but without the extra period in Islandboo's post"

Oops - that extra period was there for grammatical purposes only. Sorry for any confusion.

Debbie B

Oops, I forgot to notate that I fixed that problem.

Thanks for everyone's reviews. I only learned about this CD set a couple weeks ago and just received a copy from the publisher today. I'm glad you guys posted the weblink. The set comes with the 8 CDs only, no book. How'd you know about the link? I don't think I saw it anywhere. Maybe Kaliko told you guys?

Anyway, I look forward to learning some Hawaiian.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  3:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

To add to Aunty D's post, when Reid and I were at the first Beamer Aloha Camp and attended the language sessions given by Kaliko, we were riveted! Kaliko is a gifted and dynamic, enthusiastic teacher. He embodies the concept of making learning fun!

He is also, by the way, in a very responsible position being on the official Hawaiian language committee in charge of developing new vocabulary for the modern Hawaiian world (the old culture never had computers or basketball, for instance). He and the rest of the committee compiled the new dictionary Mamaka Kaiao, which finally came out in a big hardback last fall...the culmination of about 6 years of work, and a serious supplement to the essential Puku'i and Elbert.

As I recall, Andy and Lynette almost put Kaliko into a suitcase and brought him home with them from camp that year.... :-)

aloha,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 01/09/2004 3:14:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  3:19:36 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Eric,

Mahalo for the website info!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  10:48:53 PM  Show Profile
Andy:

"Did Kaliko tell you about the website"

Yep. CD #1, about 2-3 minutes in!

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  02:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by erksome

Yep. CD #1, about 2-3 minutes in!

Oops, that's embarrassing. I have to go listen to the CDs!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  3:06:23 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Sarah,

After you've had a chance to listen to some of the CDs, I'd like to hear what you think.

Mahalo,

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  11:55:10 PM  Show Profile
I just received an ad for these CD/DVD's from a newsletter. For anyone in the Seattle area, they are on sale for $24.95 at Aloha Island Treasures, the retail store part of

Hale Halawai O Hawai'i Learning Center
17034 Aurora Ave N,
Shoreline, WA

until Feb 3rd.

That means they may be available locally to you folks, too, if you have local Hawaiian shops and don't care for mail/web-order.

Also for anyone in the Seattle area who is NOT on Boycf's mailing list for all local Hawaiian related events, an email to BOYCF @ aol.com will get you on his list. People send him announcements and he forwards them. By hand. I've never seen outside spam forwarded by him.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000