Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ho! A New Language Resource!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  4:52:41 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Eric,

I’ve now spent some time sampling through the 8 cds and listening to all the stories. Here's my various mana'o....

This set really has a special place among the current language resources. It is the only audio set with no written accompaniment. The point of this becomes really evident when you sit down to work with the…um…sounds. With nothing else to go on but the sounds, one learns in a different way. This is why this set is unique.

There are a number of language instruction books out there, but they assume a classroom situation with a live teacher, and as far as I know, there are only two other book sets that even have accomanying audio. By contrast, this cd set provides just what is hardest to find if you aren’t on the islands, and is even pretty hard when you’re there: the fluent spoken word.

A major goal of this cd set is for the student to be able to listen to a sentence (or a story) and recognize words and phrases among the sounds, to the point of understanding the whole thing. The cds are constructed to facilitate the process of getting to that goal, a process in which, as aural familiarity is increased over time, more and more familiar sounds “pop out” from among the foreign sounds, and more and more is understood. (From my sampling, it appeared that all the vocabulary in the stories was eventually presented in the vocabulary sections, it’s just up to you to learn it and then recognize it in the story section).

I felt the hearing/speaking/understanding triad never outpaced the material. Kaliko brings you along in all three simultaneously, in a balanced way. Words and phrases are introduced, drilled as much as you wish, and then built upon, to create meaningful sentences. So with the pretty well balanced presentation, the student hopefully learns to speak the material covered, too.

The pronunciation section is very good, in my opinion. The ‘okina vs. elisions, and vowel pairs, two aspects of pronunciation that give English-speakers a difficult time, are explained and covered very well. The speakers speak very clearly, the consonants are clear, and there is plenty of time allowed for repetition. One of the interesting benefits of having the stories read twice, as they are, once each by two different people, is that you can hear minor variations in pronuciation; also, if you can’t quite get what one person said, you can listen to the other.

Kaliko builds vocabulary and phrases into sentences, demonstrating some sentence construction techniques. He shows how phrases—chunks—make up a sentence, and then how one can move chunks around, and also substitute words/chunks, to expand one’s ability to communicate.

Not much grammar is addressed, compared to what is in books, but that’s okay: you can go get any number of books and find out more if you are interested. By the way, the grammar terminology used on the cds is the same as in the UH-Hilo language books, “Nä Kai ‘Ewalu,” which are a bargain at $5 each or the set of 3 for $15. (Available at http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/eng/store/) This grammar approach is notable for its perspective. It comes from the Hawaiian point of view, and thus has no trouble trying to “equate” parts of speech to some classical European model, which was certainly a problem in the missionary days.

This set won’t make you fluent, but it’s a great way to get off to a good start, and it really fills a gap in the “literature” by focusing directly on auditory learning.

me ke aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  9:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Great review - tells me exactly what to expect, and what not to expect.
Thanks, Sarah,
Raymond
San JOse
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  11:08:37 PM  Show Profile
Good review Sarah...

I have the set and I think it is going to very good for me as I have been looking for something to use on my 1/2 hour solo car commute. The previous recorded Hawaiian language (tapes) that I had used required written materials (flash cards, etc). I tried explaining to the California Highway Patrol (CHIPS) that the flash cards I was holding in front of my face did not interfere with my driving any more than the cell phones stuck in everybody else's ears, but they would NOT LISTEN !

This new lesson set from Kaliko & Company can perhaps save me from further embarassment and maybe even death !

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/03/2004 01:00:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  12:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Or at least a ticket.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  10:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I listened to about 15 minutes of CD #1 in the car last Sunday. It's really good stuff. In the 15 minutes, I found the program to work very well while driving. Lawrence is correct that others that have more visual focus do not work all that well in the car.

I do not think I am capable of writing anything better than Sarah just did. I'll continue to listen and will write if anything comes to mind.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  2:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Sarah!

I've covered the first three CDs fairly intensely...I listen to each one 3 or 4 times before going onto the next. I never seem to remember all the vocabulary, plus I like to carefully listen (with good earphones) to the intonations. My wife tells me that I should be repeating each word/phrase aloud...but since I listen on the ferry, I tend not to so as to avoid odd looks from other commuters.

Awue, too many things to do and learn! I can't seem to devote more than an hour a week to this, which is about the same amount of time I practice playing. This whole 'work' thing just eats up too much of my day!

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  4:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Eric,

That's great that you've been able to spend as much time as you have with the cds. Your wife is absolutely right about practicing out loud, but I can totally relate to your problem of not having a place to speak out loud without getting "odd looks." Maybe you can just do it under your breath while the ferry engines are running loud :-) ...or when the weather gets warmer, go out on the deck (if there is one). Also, if people realize you are actually studying, it might take off some of the pressure. I was once reading a Hawn textbook on the bus, and it incurred an interested query from another passenger as to what I was studying.

Just while we're on the topic, I think I have observed that at least with my own aural memory, if I reinforce it with hearing my own voice - and the memory thereof - it's helpful too. It's so easy to slightly tune out when listening to a recording - but saying the words yourself, requires a certain focus and hearing which I think reinforces the memory.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  7:21:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, I do notice that altho the words ring perfectly true in my head, my mouth won't always say them. But things I've practiced aloud (chants, pules, songs) take on a rhythm of their own and I just sort of listen, surprised how good it sounds.

I saw another guy on the ferry going thru flash cards with kanji script. i could tell that he was practicing Japanese, so I pulled out my Hawaiian flash cards and offered to trade. We had a good talk!

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  5:37:44 PM  Show Profile
The publisher tells me they will soon be releasing new Instant Immersion Hawaiian software, to accompany the language CD set. Not sure exactly what it entails, but... :-)

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  5:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The Blue Screen of Death might be a little more palatable if it was in Hawaiian.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000