Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Go Guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DaveG
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  9:35:36 PM  Show Profile
I just send in the payment for a Go-Guitar. Ordered one in koa with a spruce top..their large size aka, grande. I've wanted one for some time after reading all the great reviews they get..So, this summer I can cross off one of my life to-do list items..play guitar on the beach in Hawaii.

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  10:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Dave,
It's nice to finally get something that you have wanted for a long time, congratulations, but what is a "Go-Guitar?

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

DaveG
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  11:10:20 PM  Show Profile
It's a travel guitar made by Sam Radding down in California. A very unique body design. What's nice about it too is the fact that is available with a full 1 3/4" neck. www.go-guitars.com is there web address for more info.
Go to Top of Page

akahele
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:36:15 AM  Show Profile
Dave,
Its been a couple of months so I've got two questions:
1) did you receive your guitar and
2) if you did how do you like it?
I'm shopping around for something that I can travel with easily so I'm curious.

Mahalo,
Clif
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:23:09 PM  Show Profile
Clif,
I've been using a Miranda now for about a year, and I don't regret the purchase at all - it is pricey, though. I like it because when I plug it into my Cal Blonde I get a trully good quality sound - good enough to use as a second guitar on a gig. In addition, it has the dimensions and feel of a full sized guitar - It takes me about 60 - 90 seconds to assemble it from its very compact carrying case.
I realize the price tag will keep most people away, but, in my opinion, this is a quality instrument that fits in a really small case.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  12:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
While we're on the topic of travel guitars, Daniel Ho performed in San Diego recently with two Yamaha Silent Guitars (a nylon and a steel string). They're less expensive than the Miranda (about $550 vs. $1000) but they don't pack quite as small and I have no idea how sound quality compares. They sounded good when Daniel played them though!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  1:14:25 PM  Show Profile
The Yamahas are solid-body electrics. I think you can run a headphone, but they're basically silent. I used to own a Steinberger knockoff electric that I used for playing slide. I think it was a Hohner (sic?); solid body headless with dual humbuckers. It fit in a case about the size of a good billard cue. It had good sound when amplified and was great for traveling. I wish I still had it. In fact, I might look around for another one. I think I paid about $400 new. Craig, as the ebay guru, ever seen one there?
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  1:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Chunk,

I have a Hohner GT2 Steinberger copy that you can have for $175. Or a Tacoma Papoose for $150. Both have gig bags.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 03/11/2004 1:40:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  3:58:05 PM  Show Profile
I compared the Yamaha classical with the Miranda before I bought.
Played them both to an "audience" of 7 in my living room through a Cal. Blonde. Everyone thought the Miranda sounded lots better. I then played with my Para-Acoustic DI to see if I could "equalize" the sounds, and the Miranda still came out way ahead. The other thing which makes a big difference is that the design of the Miranda is such that the frame is the same dimensions as the bout of my classical guitar, while the Yamaha is structurally and feeling-wise different, and, to me, less solid feeling. At that point my choice was to spend $400 or so on a guitar I knew didn't sound as good and didn't feel as good , or pay a little more than double (I bargain well)on something I thought was significantly better. Since I travel a fair amount, I went with quality and don't regret it -- The smaller carrying case was a nice bonus.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  4:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Makes sense Raymond...sounds like you did your research well.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  10:35:49 AM  Show Profile
Fran, thanks. I'll think about it. I'll email you directly if I decide to do it.
Go to Top of Page

lat21north
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  2:08:05 PM  Show Profile
If you like to travel light, another way to get the guitar to the Hawaiian beach is to buy one in Hawai'i ala. Check the local stores or just go to Costco: $100 last I checked. At that price, you don't have to worry so much about sand and salt spray. And instead of packing it home at the end of your stay, you can offer the guitar to the parents of a family on the beach.

Aloha,
Bill
Healdsburg

E holo mua
Bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000