Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Classical Guitar suggestions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kapua
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  12:49:30 PM  Show Profile
I have been playing slack key on my steel string Larrivee OM10K but find most of the songs I play are more geared towards a nylon sound so I am looking for a classical guitar. I can spend about $1000 to $2000. Most classicals I have tried do not a good sound for slack key. The best one I played so far is a 1970's Jose Ramirez 1E. Any suggestions for a good slack key classical guitar?

Thanks - Joel

knute
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  2:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit knute's Homepage
You might want to try to find an old Guild Mark 1. the guild Mark 1 had a mahogany top. They were well made guitars. You should be able to find one on Ebay. they have a really dark sound. Lots of baritone.
Go to Top of Page

richard
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  3:33:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit richard's Homepage
Great question! While we're at it, can anybody tell us the difference between a "classical" and a "flamenco" guitar?

Thanks,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  7:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Very generally, flamenco guitars are made for a brighter, more percussive sound while classicals are built to give a warmer tone with more sustain. Traditionally flamencos are made with cypress back and sides, less body depth, lower saddle and action, and friction pegs. The traditional classical uses rosewood back and sides, deeper body, higher saddle and action, and geared pegs. Oh, and a flamenco would likely have a scratch plate (pick guard) for the percussive tapping that is common. Nowadays there is a fair amount of crossover from the classical to the flamenco.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  10:13:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Joel,
Others have suggested that a longer scale length classical, such as 660mm or greater(instead of standard 650mm) has a beneficial effect on the tone when the guitar is "slacked" into a taropatch tuning, because of the greater tension. I haven't tested this as yet, and I have a Takamine C-132S from probably the late 70's or 80's that sounds pretty nice even if it is not the longer scale length. It is very sweet, great overtones, and can be pretty powerful sounding depending on the picking pressure applied. It has a cedar top, and laminated rosewood back and sides. I would probably hesitate putting extra high tension strings on it with the cedar top, though.
Good luck in your quest, and most likely, finding the right one will be easy when you have it in your hands and it speaks to your heart-you will know it's the one. So much more reliable than statistics and suggestions.

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  11:02:41 PM  Show Profile
I love playing slack on my classicals. My suggestion is to go into one of the guitar shops that has guitars in your price range and try out a few. Sound and feel is such a personal thing. Don't rule out checking out the used guitars. Already broken in and most classical players don't abuse their instruments.
That said, I'm very impressed with Kenny Hill's guitars - Santa Cruz mountains. He's got some production line stuff based upon German and Spanish prototypes that sound superb. In the 1500 - 2000 range.
Also, there's a guy in Berkely who has instruments made for him in Mexico - I've seen and played 2 of them - I'm very impressed. Can't remember the name, but I originally found him through the links that Acoustic Guitar has on its site. About a year ago they were in the 750 - 1000 range, but sounded far better.
Finally, don't know where you live, but if you're No CA: Guitar Solo in SF is excellent, and Fine Fretted Instruments in SJ is also great. (Some people like Gryphon in PA) -
Have fun
Go to Top of Page

smiley
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  12:20:42 AM  Show Profile
Flamenco guitars generally have a narrower nut width, lower action, thinner soundboard (with fewer struts) and is much more light in weight than a classical. The sound they produce is described as "buzzy" "snappy" or "barks like a flamenco." There are generally "tap plates" (like pickguards) over and above the soundhole. For a really nahenahe sound, I would choose a classical. (But I love my flamenco for ease of play!)

janis
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  4:40:33 PM  Show Profile
How about a Larrivee?

http://www.12fret.com/used/index.html#CLASSICAL%20&
http://www.12fret.com/used/larrivee1977vella.jpg
http://www.12fret.com/used/larriveeClass75rl.jpg
Go to Top of Page

richard
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  7:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit richard's Homepage
Thanks for the distinction between flamenco and classical. I haven't tried a nylon-strung instrument in years partly out of concern that they would be so much kinder to my fingers than steel that I'd never be able to go back :)

Richard
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  5:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
If you are still considering a classical guitar you might look at the La Patrie line. They are part of the LaSiDo group which includes Godin (the founder), Seagull, Norman, and a couple of others. They are made in Quebec province and done very nicely. With the Canadian dollar strengthening the cost in U.S. dollars is somewhat higher but I paid under $500 for a Collection, the top of the line, and a good hardshell case plus pre-NAFTA costs and shipping.
No, I don't work for them but I like the guitars they make and which I have played.

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000