Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Mika'ele McClellan's Big S.K. Workbook
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  09:53:03 AM  Show Profile
15? Anyway, I'm in.
G
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  10:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I got an email from Mika'ele today. He'd post himself except that he forgot his password. To paraphrase, I think he was impressed with how quickly Mark (eisensta) rounded up 10-20 people's interest. So here is his reply to the making of a recording:
quote:
Mika'ele wrote:
I'll start it when pau the summer--I quit some music gigs so I would have more time with my 7 & 9 year olds. So tell your audience I'll do it. Gonna include at least one verse, because the words and hula are actually more important to the Gods of Hawaiian Language (forgot their names...) than the instrumental part.
Also check the post in the Kanikapila forum if your interested in jamming in the West San Fernando Valley.

While you're at it, put me down for one also. #16?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

donley
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2004 :  11:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit donley's Homepage  Send donley a Yahoo! Message
I also spoke with Mika'ele and tolk him I was also interested in a cd. So, I guess that's 18.

donley
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  11:13:09 AM  Show Profile
wow,
this sounds pretty good, count me in as well!
b3d (allan)

b3d
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  10:28:30 PM  Show Profile

Please add me to the list as well - so that makes 20

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2004 :  11:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
So I'll be 21 (I wish) and take one too. I be in. Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2004 :  7:46:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All,
Hey, thanks a lot for bringing this book to my attention! See- it really does pay to check in from time to time if you've been away for a while!
I'll be 22(In my dreams), but count me in on the cd. Now I have to go get the book! I read the Taropatch review, and it looks very good!
Thanks again,

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

richard
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  6:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit richard's Homepage
I'd like to make it 23. Mika'ele's book is a wonderful resource for the intermediate player, and I think a CD would push the level into the beginner class.

Andy -- Perhaps this is the message that broke your database (sigh).

Aloha,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  6:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The book is great in that it contains a wealth of music that ranges from musical themes to more fleshed out pieces. It's horrible in that much of the tab is close to unreadable and, of course, you have no idea what it's supposed to sound like. A CD would obviously take care of the latter problem and I know Mika`ele is looking into redoing the tab.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  01:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Boy, I agree with Craig on the difficulty of just reading that thing. I sure hope he redoes it, 'cause it could be an extremely useful resource.
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2004 :  9:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Aloha All,

I got email from Mika'ele today and he wanted me to tell all of you that he is working on recorded examples and I am working on redoing the tab from his boot I will keep you all posted on how it is going

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  03:30:33 AM  Show Profile
Geez, where do I start?
I'm having some SERIOUS concerns about this thread...
I just received my workbook, and I think it's from a Deep Kind Heart and Soul.
The historical, cultural, tuning, and functional presentation of info; AND SO MANY Great Songs--both traditional, original and recent--is a work of DEEPEST ALOHA.
Yea, Yea, it's not perfect, but it's friggin' GREAT...a thing of beauty.
I am THRILLED!

But I'm concerned that our request could be modified...
If I get kicked out of the patch for messin' where I shouldn't have been a messin'--well I got boots (actually Birkenstocks!), and me and my therapist (oh geez, I'm between therapists right now) will deal with it.

Mika'ele has said he'll try to get it goin' in the next few months. Now he may be a Hawaiian Suppa Man, but he's also a dad, husband AND EMPLOYED person! (WOW...lessons everywhere!)

Perhaps we could make this chore a little easier for Mika...

I submit that we go for a First Portion of Most Essential S.L. songs. The top 10 or so, depending on Mika's take on this.
I a relative newcomer--perhaps for some songs we could be referred to the various and more definitive recordings that already exist.
Since, as with our other tunes, our goal is not necessarily to clone Mika'ele's exact performance, jus' to learn!

Mika could do the most essential "requests", and THEN do a 2nd or 3rd set over time, as his life allows.
If Mika's originals are already recorded we could buy from the artist!
I for one can live without this "Full Unabridged Box Set" for awhile, (but will enjoy what's made available!)

One of the reasons I was attracted to slack key and Hawaiian music is the sense of calmness, peace, and simple beauty that seems to be shared, and an art we can ALL attempt at various levels of proficiency!
Even when some of us do art BADLY--well, it's still Spirit in Action...

I don't want this to be a stress creating request in Mika'ele and his family's life...just an act of Joy--AT HIS CONVENIENCE.

We ALL jumped on this with GREAT enthusiasm, but let's make sure EVERYONE ENJOYS THE RIDE!

If I've gone off the deep end, forgive me Patchers.
As any good co-dependent will tell you--well, it's sorta like the new Auto Insurance we have in Boulder especially for co-dependents
..."It's My Fault".
With Aloha,
G
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  7:25:34 PM  Show Profile
I would be happier with just a "scratch" recording of one verse of each piece, or a verse and chorus, when applicable. This could be simply done into a tape recorder and one of us could transfer it for MM onto CD. That way we have greater choices and it shouldn't take too much time for MM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  12:26:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks RJS,
Several tunes are already on Mika'ele's tapes from 1988 and 93.
Indeed, lets encourage him to keep it very basic, and perhaps with a little help from his friends, the tracks will lay down easy.

If there's a sane, fun, and easier way to produce this let's encourage that...
Was/Is there a general consensus on this already?

Didn't mean to throw wrenches in our machinery, this has been a good hearted and well received request--
I was just wonderin' how things were on the "producer" side of the tracks.
G
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  12:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Dear Gordonrburt -

Ancient Hawaiian saying: "Oy Vey!!"

If you are wondering how it is from the producer side, why don't you ask him? I don't see this as a Win/Lose situation at all - where we win and Mika'ele loses. Actually, quite the contrary.

In a recent note that he sent with a copy of his workbook, Mika'ele described the other time commitments he has and then says: "Nevertheless, my biggest legacy other than my kids will be my slack key, so I gotta leave that somehow." So I see this project as an opportunity for the Workbook to get a new life what with being spruced up and getting an accompanying recording to go with it. There are lots of ways to support Mika'ele in this other than working out details of his doing a watered-down or partial version recording to go with the book. For instance, we could spread this legacy as well as make him some money and benefit slack key by getting the word of this to others. Possibly via eBay and other websites and local music stores and telling others we know who are into slack key. I recently picked up a copy of the Northwest Hawaiian Times - a perfect place for an announcement once the recording and refurbished workbook are ready to go. Etc., etc.

I find it really exciting to think of what a contribution to the continuation of slack key this project will be. The workbook has so many standard pieces and this will make them available to people who just want to hear them, not just those who sit down to work some of them out from the written music.

I'm seeing this as a bunch of us letting Mika'ele know that there is this much serious interest and support for the project right from the start and it won't be picked up by only one or two people. I don't at all share your projection that he feels like his arm is being twisted to do this. After all, it was Mika'ele's idea to see if there were 10 or 20 people who wanted the recording. But if you do, check it out. Please don't just assume you know how he feels and start watering down the project to deal with an imagined win/lose scenario that we don't even know exists.

Ancient Hawaiian proverb: "God so loved the world that He didn't send a committee."

Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000