Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Mika'ele McClellan's Big S.K. Workbook
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  02:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I have to agree with Mark (although I appreciate Gordon's concerns)...Mika`ele's a big boy and I seriously doubt that the selfish desires of two dozen people are going to cause him to abandon all his other priorities and throw his life into a downward spiral. (OK, so I'm exaggerating.) For all we know he could sit down and knock out every song in the book in a couple of hours. Or it could be something he devotes a few spare hours a week for a couple of months to. And yes, what a great way to bring the workbook into the present, make it more accessible to a new generation of players, and turn it into a true living legacy.

I've also offered my help to Steve in redoing the tabs.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

mikaele
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  1:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Re the big slack key instruction book:

Aloha kakou.

Hello you all. I appreciate all the response my book has recieved. Don't worry, I'm not going to let the slack key book mess up my life as a daddy, husband, wage earner, plumber, car repairman, and patient! ('Ae, pololei no! I bin have some minah surgeries dis week.)
Various folks have seen various parts of my concerns and personality. I really want to redo the booklet with a simple CD. That is important.
The songs in the book were mostly chosen by students in Hawai'i or by mail. Some of them are probably no longer on the Hawaiian hit parade, but some of them were used for 2 generations. Each student will have his own priorities....
Go to Top of Page

mikaele
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  1:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Re: McClellan's Big S. K. Workbook--sent part of this without meaning to--this is the complete version!

Aloha Kakou! Mahalo for all the pros/cons/etc.
1) I'm not going to let the work on the book mess up my life as a wage-earner, daddy, husband, yard-worker, plumber, car-repair, and patient. (Yep, some minor surgery this week....) All of that is number one.
2) Number two is to get the book readable and have a simple CD example. Some of this is complicated...
A) In the book many of the "traditional" Hawaiian songs requested by students are "owned" by somebody. I am liable if I make money and don't pay the owner. Maybe these tabs we should give away? I don't know where we stand on selling a CD example of the copyright songs....
B) Some of the songs in the book I wrote. If one of them starts making money, I can quit my day job! Maybe my kids can go college? I can copyright these and charge money for 'em in a booklet without fear of losing it to lawyers.
C) I have some new material already recorded on a good cassette machine with good field recording mikes. It includes original traditional-style stuff, as well as Bach's "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring"(taro patch tuning, Hawaiian words) and H Carmichael's "Stardust" (C G C G C E, with Hawaiian words again), and some outright old traditional stuff. This reflects me better than my book--I push the limits, but respect the tradition. It may be good only as a teaching example, for I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and some trigger finger problems.
You guys are not asking me to do something I don't want to do! I seem to be healthy for my age, so we can expect more outa me. Only got a few more weeks of summer vacation, so I expect to start working on it when school starts. Just don't hold your breath!

Mahalo nui loa 'ia 'oukou apau, Mike'ele McClellan
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  09:24:31 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Mika'ele,

Welina mai i ka lo'i kalo! 'O wau ka wahine i ku'ai mai i kope o kau puke ('elua paha makahi aku nei), a ua kakau au ma ka 'olelo Hawai'i, a ua ninau ihola 'oe ia'u, pehea au i a'o mai ai i ka 'olelo 'A'ole au i komo i ka papa ma ke kulanui aka na'e mai na puke he nui me na lipini kekahi au i a'o mai. Nui ko'u makemake, he pa sede o kau puke - nui kau 'ike i na mele like 'ole. No laila, paipai no ho'i makou ia 'oe!

aloha,
na Sarah
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  4:08:21 PM  Show Profile
Sarah,

what does this mean in english someday I want to learn to read Hawaiian.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

mikaele
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  6:53:22 PM  Show Profile
2nd part of Mika'ele letter. I hope I send the first part. It was about what you guys want, what Andy wants, etc. This thing got too many buttons!
Do you all want variations on themes? Keola, I, and other guys never play 'em the same way twice! I've got some really beautiful variations on several traditional tunes, including harmonics. Do you want me to take the time and space to write 'em out.
The suggestion that we have a top ten is pretty good. Tell me your favorite songs!
Often I find mistakes in the tab that aren't in the music, and vice versa. Using both makes it twice as long, though. Are most of you guys happy with tab only?
I've gotten better over the years. I've got a version of Stars and Stripes Forever that I can't play up to speed, but I'd like to offer. It is written in pencil now, and it includes the piccolo part! It'll be many pages. It is hard! Do you want stuff like that?

A ke aloha maoli no,
Mika'ele McClellan
Go to Top of Page

mikaele
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2004 :  7:09:52 PM  Show Profile
Aloha a ko'u mau hoaloha,

Auwe! I erased the first part & I don't even know how I did that! We all got to ho'oponopono. We can't put Andy/Taropatch.net at risk, so we better not give away the whole farm over this site. However, with his permission and my wife Kelly's (already given) we can give away the obviously traditional Public Domain songs, as well as some of mine. I own those copyrights, and I'd given written permission to Taropatch to give 'em manuahi.
I can publish and take the risk of copyright infringement. If I don't make much money from the book (which is true), and I don't even look like I'm making money, folks in the industry think it'll be all right. Chris Strachwits of Arhoolie (etc) has been doing this for years!
Summer vacation is almost over. I got to put my money where my mouth stay.
E Sarah, mahalo. Maopopo i kou leka, aka, nui ka hana! E hele ana au i Kaleponi me ka poina 'olelo Hawai'i.
Speaking of this, should we take the time to make a Hawaiian version of the book? There is so much kokua out there we probably could do it over time!
This is only the first part, even though it arrives 2nd. Go figah.
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  7:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Aloha Mika'ele :

Some responses to your latest message (parts 2 and 1):

1. The more songs from the workbook you can record, by far the better for me. This is because my skill level is such that I have to do a lot of work to learn a piece. So I don't undertake to learn a piece on speculation to see if I like how it sounds when I get through. Instead, I want to know that the piece is something I want to be able to play before making the effort. Bottom line - if I don't know how something sounds to begin with, it will remain forever an unknown piece of music for me.

2. This brings us to the copyright problem. If you will let us know which songs need copyright permissions, I (and I'm sure others) will be happy to write to the copyright holders to ask for these.

3. I have become a slack key junky. So, as far as I'm concerned, I don't really need you to do much with pieces from other genres unless they are in slack key. Funny you should mention Stars and Stripes Forever. In the 70's, I took lessons with Guy Van Duser who was pretty well known for his version of this (also including piccolo part). Indeed, Chet Atkins learned it from him. (No - I am nowhere near this skill level. ) His version is published and so I would just comment that I don't think it is worth your while to write this one out. I will mail you a recording of him. (A slack key Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring is something else, however.)

So there are my 2 cents worth of preferences. Nonetheless, whatever you are able to record will open new vistas for me for which I send -

Many mahalos ,

Mark (Eisenstadt)
Go to Top of Page

mikaele
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2004 :  11:57:01 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Mark!

Recieved the cassette of Stars & Stripes Forever, etc. I've only had time to listen to Stars & Stripes, but wow! He has all the fire of a Texas marching band on that guitar! (That is a compliment!) I'm quite impressed.
My version, in slack key, has the relaxation, ka nahenahe, of ki ho'alu. The two are different! Besides, every 'ukulele player back home could play the trio part, & Souza was a Portagee, & Portagees are locals, so we think of the tune as part-Hawaiian. I end it with harmonics. I'll include it when I get time.
When I get time? I got 2 gigs this weekend. How does this happen to a mea maukule with a day job? Thanks a whole bunch for the cassette!

Mahalo nui a'e,
Mika'ele
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  11:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Hi, Mika'ele -

I didn't realize your Stars and Stripes were in slack key. I'd love to hear it.

More Mahalo,

Mark E.
Go to Top of Page

Curtis Takahashi
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  6:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Mark,

count me in too!

Curtis Takahashi
Usually lurking on the page somewhere
Go to Top of Page

Lopaka
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  9:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Lopaka a Yahoo! Message
With Christmas coming up, count me in too... I know a few people who are still trying to figure out what to get me for Christmas!

H a w a i i a n ..at heart!
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  7:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Mark,
Please include me for both the recording and the book.
Thanks

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  7:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Me too! Me too! Me too!

Mahalo

Dave