Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hukilau Lyrics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  5:02:24 PM  Show Profile
On the subject of lyrics--I've been searching for lyrics to Hukilau. Not the usual one you hear: The Hukilau Song: Oh we're going to a hukilau. A huki huki huki huki hukilau. Everybody loves the hukilau. Where the laulau is the kaukau at the lû`au. We throw our nets out into the sea...

This Hukilau song is in Hawaiian except for one phrase: "Baby, you and me". It starts out something like:

A Hukilau, a huki-huki-hukilau
Ho'i .... (says "come to my island", second verse after chorus)
The second verse also talks about paddling.
The song ends singing: hoe, hoe, hoe, Ho!
Search engines have not found it.

Nahenahe

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  12:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Is the melody the same? Is it AMY HANAIALI`I GILLIOM & WILLIE K. on their "Nostalgia" CD? The Hukilau Song

I searched but couldn't find anything else. If not, it's a good track so I'm glad I found it. Maybe they'll play it this Friday? I'm off to see Willie and Amy this Friday in NYC!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  12:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
BTW, the liner notes for the "Nostalgia" CD contain the lyrics in Hawaiian.

It's an interesting concept for a Hawaiian album. They took bunch of hapa-haole songs (which by their nature are Hawaiian inspired but with English lyrics) and "reclaimed" them by translating the lyrics to Hawaiian. It's a fun album with some nice playing and singing.

Gary
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000