Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Maui Lodging Recommendations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  2:39:58 PM  Show Profile
I'll be on Maui later this fall and I'm getting dizzy looking at hotels, etc. Too many choices! Anyone have any recommendations? Also any recommendations as for slack key venues? Mahalo!

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  8:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
We went in June and I was bleary-eyed from hours on the computer making reservations. We found that in our price range and preference (cheap, condo for 4-6), most of the choices were very similar. Since the most choices are Lahaina area or Kihei, we chose first which area we wanted to stay in, and then chose by price. Although we looked at many websites, we found that renting from an outfit that handled A LOT of different units seemed to have good deals, perhaps because of competition. We went through www.kapalua.com and stayed at the Papakea Resort, but there are many out there. Everything worked out great.
Although there isn't a lot of slack key to be found on Maui outside of festivals, make time for George Kahumoku's concert series on Tuesday nights at the Ritz Carlton. It's a very intimate setting and there's always time to chat with the artists. Watch the newspaper entertainment pages for who's where on a regular basis, but most of the locals said you have to look for benefit concerts to find the traditional island artists.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  9:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jesse!

I too am dizzy from reading guide books and web sites. I'll check out the site you noted, too. Thanks for your time and input.
Go to Top of Page

tahitijack
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  10:19:56 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear George found a great gig at the Ritz Carlton. He played the Mauna Kea for a couple of decades as I recall. My suggestions for hotels (I want full service when I'm vacationing) are Sheraton @ Black Rock and the Marriott on Kanapali Beach

Happy Sunsets
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  11:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Tahitijack!
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  2:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
... one more worth considering: http://www.honokeana-cove.com/

some friends of ours stayed here, and it's hard to beat the location. you feel tucked away in your own private part of maui. honokeana is small bay, very well protected, with lots of fish, coral, and turtles. it's close to kapalua.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2004 :  10:01:54 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Keith. I'll check it out.
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  01:20:36 AM  Show Profile
also... check with a friend of mine, Linda Little and her company "Affordable Maui." www.affordablemaui.com

duke
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  01:50:50 AM  Show Profile
If you're interested in upcountry, we like to stay at the Banyan Tree Inn just outside of Makawao. I have rented the 3 bed/3 bath main house several times. It is an old plantation manager's house, tall ceilings, huge kitchen, large lanai, great view, spa and pool. They also have little cottages on site, they are not as expensive. It is much cooler than arid Kihei.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2004 :  5:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Again, thanks all for your helpful suggestions!

--Mark
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000