Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Pua Hone Guitar Tabs?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kawine
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2004 :  4:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Does anybody know where I can find the guitar tabs to Pua Hone (preferably the Sons of Hawaii version). Mahalo!!!

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2004 :  4:39:17 PM  Show Profile
I can give you the chord progressions if that is helpful. If you have a good ear, perhaps you can pick out the melody from the chords.

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Kawine
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2004 :  5:15:46 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm yes that would be very cool! Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  7:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Pua Hone chords are passed around very freely where I live. I hope it is ok to post this; if not, I'll delete this immediately.

I was told Rev. Kamakahi wrote this in key of D.

D-D-D-C-D

___D
O'oe ka wahine
_____G__D
A ke aloha,
___D
I laila i ka uluwehi
____D__________C___D
Ku'u Pua Hone i ka la'i

And the other verses follow. If you want all the lyrics, they are posted at http://www.huapala.org/Pua/Pua_Hone.html

Hope you can work from this.

Nahenahe

Edited by - jmk on 12/27/2004 7:04:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  7:20:58 PM  Show Profile
Actually the original (I think) sheet music for this (1977) has it in Eb.

Also the last line should be (if in key of D):

Ku'u [D]pua hone i ka [A7]la[D]'i

-dean

Edited by - BreezePlease on 12/27/2004 9:49:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kawine
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  8:44:00 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! Thanks guys
Go to Top of Page

Kawine
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2004 :  8:45:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm a little new to playing guitar thoug. Do you think it would still sound OK if I kept my guitar in standard tuning?
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  05:02:23 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Kawine,
I'm new to ki ho'alu too. You can play all the songs with standard tuning, but then you don't learn the slack methods. But when you're learing and have chords instead of tab, it's hard to translate - I'm hoping it becomes second nature at some point.
How are you learning? from kumu? from book? from friend?
Good luck!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  7:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the correction on the '7th' in the last line. The chords posted were from my George Kahumoku 2004 Slackkey Workshop Book. Looking at the 'Pua Hone' given to me by my ukulele Kumu, Aunty Margie Spencer, there is a '7th' in the last line. Aunty Margie gave me Pua Hone in C, with G7 in the last line. (Of course, even this didn't help my voice, I still can't sing a note!) Now that you jog my memory, Rev. Dennis Kamakahi said on some days his voice doesn't reach the range it used to, so the Eb is no doubt correct.

Aloha and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  9:45:54 PM  Show Profile
As to playing the songs in standard tuning --
one of the central features of slack key is the rich resonance from open strings continuing to vibrate, as well as various sympathetic vibrations going off all over the place. It's practically impossible for a beginning - intermediate player to duplicate that in open tuning. (Somebody figure that out, let me know how.) So, you won't get the sound which is the reason most of us like slack key. Sorry no short cuts -- pick a slack tuning and learn it. I personally like G -- very versatle and fairly easy to learn. That's the reason why it's the "bread and butter" tuning for slack key. If you want to try those chords out in Taro Patch - Open G, try this: D chord becomes a G chord; G chord becomes a C chord, A7 chord becomes a D7 chord, C chord would become an F chord. (I think I got the correct -- writing it out is harder than playing it.)

How to get from chords to melody -- Play your chords and hum, whistle or sing the melody. Find where the first note is, typically on 1st string. (In Taro Patch, I usually try first string, open, 5th fret, 7 fret as possible starting points. Once you have the first note, hum/whistle/sing out the rest and find the notes. You will then find that you can typically harmonize either with the chord or with the parrallel 6 th (open/close positions on 1st and 3 rd strings) along with appropriate alternating bass. One hint -- you sometimes have melody that you know belongs on 5th or 7th fret, but the harmony doesn't sound right -- try using a "C" chord -- barr the 5th frets on strings 1 - 5. Another hint -- you may have to play around with the starting place because of the combination of 1/2 steps and full steps that make up a scale, which is reflected in the scale notes played on the open first string -- 0,2,4,5,7,9,10,12 -- note these are all whole steps except 4-5 and 10-11. You might have to experiment with where you place the melody to make the half steps fall in the "right" places -- It's not at all as hard as it sounds for a whole lot of Hawaiian songs, once you practice it a bit. If Pua Hone is too difficult, start practicing with "Happy Birthday" or "Home on the Range" -- After some praxtice, you can sometimes simplify the hand positions by moving between 1 st and 2nd and 3rd strings -- but that gets more advanced, at least in my opinion.

Basic stuff is not as difficult as it may seem if you let go of perfectionism, give yourself a huge break and keep your sense of humor -- not to mention 4 or 5 thousand hours of practice (just kidding)
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  11:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow Raymond!
Mahalo nui loa!! So many good, practical suggestions! You filled in some of the blanks.
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  05:48:30 AM  Show Profile
The original sheet music I have directly from Dennis has the song in E-flat, too. (Copyright 1977). The chords are correspondingly noted as Eb (I), Ab (IV), and Bb7 (V7).

-Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000