Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taro Pach Book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  1:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
Hi . some one out there know of any instructional book in Tato Pach tunning only
I really dont want to change tunes until I learn the basics. Thanks.

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  4:12:07 PM  Show Profile
Sergio,
I believe this is an excellent strategy, certainly one which was taught by Sonny Chillingworth. I've followed it in my own learning and it has paid off richly for me.

I think the best place to strat is Ozzie Kotani's book -- I'm a bit fuzzy on details now, but I beliebe you get 5 or 6 Taro Patch songs, then 2 others. Ozzie's book is extremely well done for a beginner, with each song building on the other and all the arrangements interesting and very playable.

I have a set of VHS tapes available that build on where Ozzie left off -- some people have commented on them in other threads -- you can use them to build repetoire and skills.

Some people like Ron Loo's tapes -- I haven't used them because by the time I "found" them I was more advanced in technique and didsn't want to spend the money.

Finally, I like Keoki Kahumoku's DVD which focuses on Taro Patch -- I think that is also an excellent resource after going through Ozzie's book --

That said -- nothing beats sitting down with someone whoose playing you like -- not only can that help you learn technique and repwetoire, but more importantly, it helps you "get the feel" and learn how to make than happen in your playing. If no one is around you -- well there's always vacation time -- and you can usually line up a lesson or two ahead of time to prevent disqappointment.

Welcome to the world of slack key --
Hard work at first, great payoff very soon after
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  4:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Keoki's and Patrick's DVDs are in Taropatch. Mark's and Keola's book as well as Ozzie's book have a lot in Taropatch. The Hanson book and Ron Loo's book/tapes also have a lot in Taropatch. Bruce Lamb has a new George Kahumoku DVD in Taropatch and Taropatch F.

oops, Raymond slipped in while I was typing.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 12/19/2004 4:14:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
Thanks to bouth of you. Raymond and Dusty very helpfull info, I'll buy Ozzie's book for now and see what happens. Thanks again
Sergio
Go to Top of Page

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  4:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
Aloha all, specially Ray and Dusty mahalo again for tell me about Ozzie's book, I just got it ! Wow ! Is simple and easy to follow all the songs with the CD ,really is a book for all beginners like myself, it recharge my intusiasm to play and learn the songs ,I FELL GREAT !
Sergio
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000