Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Gardena, CA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  1:36:54 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Everyone!

I'll try to keep this short but no promises

I'm part owner of Island Legends, a Hawai'ian store in Gardena, CA.....no guitars here but probably one of the largest selection of ukulele on the west coast. We also have heirloom jewelry, aloha shirts, t-shirts, artwork, etc..... We're located in the same strip mall as Teri Hawai'i....local food and shave ice.

I'm not sure where to place myself as far as playing ability.... somewhere between beginner and advanced should cover it. I play a Yamaha G250S classical and a Goodall AKCJ.

3 Major Influences:

1. Daniel Ho - Met him about 5 years ago and he gets credit for getting me started on guitar. Try teaching yourself classical music in standard tuning without any prior instruction. I quickly got nowhere. I've been experimenting with his G-Kilauea for a few years and playing in taropatch since february.

2. Ozzie Kotani - Eventhough I enjoy all different kinds of music, Ozzie's style of playing best suits me. He made me realize that there is more to playing than just playing the obvious chords .... experiment. I'll attempt to play any song in taropatch ... not just Hawai'ian.

3. Jay Yonekawa - I know, everyone's asking - Jay who? He gets credit for getting me to my current level of playing as quickly as I did. For the longest time the only people that I knew who played ki ho'alu were Jay and all of the 'masters'. I practiced almost everyday just so I would be able to play with him. He's still better than I am.

So, as far as length of time that I've been playing .... I'm still a beginner. According to Daniel, Ozzie, Slkho, Auntie N and others .... I'm not a beginner. Thanks for the compliments!

Doug

Island Legends, LLC
1451 W. Artesia Blvd., #12
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  7:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Welcome, Doug!
This is a wonderful place to celebrate Hawaiian music and meet great people who love the music for the same reason you do.
E komo mai!
Jesse Tinsley
(I grew up in Torrance, just down the street)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  05:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Doug. I think I'll believe the likes of Daniel, Ozzie, Slkho, Auntie N and others. You sound like you know what you're doing! Thanks for introducing yourself.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  07:07:14 AM  Show Profile
Welcome finally brudda Doug to the TP!!!
Its about time boy. ha. By the way... Jay who? ha ha.

If I may add just a little tiny bit more about Doug. I first met him in November/04 at his store, and posted a thread on him for anyone looking for another slack key connection in the Los Angeles area. He was also at Ozzie's workshop in Little Tokyo, but I didn't know him at the time.
We struck up a conversation and it eventually turned to music and slack key. He said he had been playing slack key for a short time, and if I wanted to hear some. Naturally I did, and so we go to the back and he pulls out a Goodall and plays a couple of songs. (I thought, no one just pulls out a Goodall as a beginner). Long story short, Doug is a very good student of music, and slack key music. Doug may be a humble, and modest "beginner" but he can sure play!!! Hope I didn't put you on the spot Doug.
Doug gave me the tab for Hula Medly, and I've been playing it quite a bit.
See you at the workshop.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  10:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the warm welcome

Yes, I may be humble but in my mind I'll always be a beginner. There's always something new to learn.

slkho - No problem, you didn't put me on the spot. If you're in the area again we can walk over to Teri Hawai'i and I'll introduce you to Jay.

andy - It may seem like I know what I'm doing but don't ask me any technical questions. I'll just give you a deer-in-headlights-look. On the other hand, if anyone out there in TP-land has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to help.

jesse - Just drop on in if you're in the area..... bring guitar.

As far as the Goodall, I went about it kinda backwards. I bought the equiptment even before I knew how to use it. Same thing with my playing. Start with something really difficult and everything else seems easy.

By the way, everyone is welcomed to drop in. I'll try to set up something here at the shop.

Doug

Island Legends, LLC
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  2:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Doug and All -
Oh, that's Jay at Teri Hawai'i? He said he'd kani ka pila if we pulled it together. He ordered Ikaika's CD for me.
Thanks to slkho for "introducing" us. Good thing about meeting at the shop: close to good kaukau!!
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  08:41:42 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm... missed this post the first time through.
Welcome, Doug. I was at the L.A. workshop too. Don't remember if we met though. It doesn't look like there will be another this year.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Island Legends
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  09:47:28 AM  Show Profile
No problem Dusty,

I dont remember everyones names from the workshop either. I might remember if I see a face. Trying to remember everything that we learned during the workshops was enough?

Haven't heard anything yet but, I am trying to work out something, someplace, sometime, with someone. All I can say is, it's probably going to be in the LA/South Bay area and it's probably going to cover ki ho`alu and/or ukulele. No other details for now but I promise I will keep everyone posted.

'til then, I'll keep everyone in suspense.

Doug

Island Legends, LLC
Gardena, CA 90248
(310)352-6333
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  10:06:20 AM  Show Profile
aloha e doug!
Check w/ John Dietz. He has space and interest.
You and Ianui are two of a kind w/ the SuSPence!!
n

nancy cook

Edited by - Auntie Nancy on 02/02/2005 10:11:34 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000