Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from the Frozen North!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  08:25:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi all!

I was born in 1940 and raised in California. My dad had been stationed in the islands before the war, and we finally got a chance to move to Hilo back in '55. I had already learned to play the uke. When I took up the guitar, I learned slack key first, from my new friends and from records. Mostly just simple stuff in open G.

I graduated from Hilo high in '58 and after a brief stint in the USN, I returned to the islands- my family had moved to the windward side of Oahu, and I lived there between 61 and 63, then down in Waikiki till 64.

I had become a folky, and was playing guitar and 5 string banjo. My first wife and I and a friend formed a trio called "We Three" and we played regularly at a pizza joint named Humbums, and at Lucky Luck's night club.

The best thing that happened to during those years was that I hung out at Honey's in Kaneohe, when Sonny and Gabby were playing in Don Ho's band. I not only got to sit in the audience and watch the masters at work, I got to know them and learned a few tricks first hand.

So the question (on another thread): can a "coast haole" like me learn to play with authentic feeling? I certainly hope so. I can play a lot of Leonard Kwan's stuff, some of Sonny (except Whee ha!) and even know Gabby's Hiilawe tuning. I also took Sonny's advice and have tried to come up with some original stuff too.

I can also play the 12-string Kottke style, and can play a little bottleneck ala Cooder. Learning to do finger-picking in open tunings has served me well. I just got a Weissenborn type guitar, and am now attacking the steel guitar as well.

I love the music, I miss the islands, and when I play Akaka Falls, or Hawaiian Cowboy or Silver Threads Among the Gold, I naturally and instinctively bring a good deep feeling to it.
The trend toward treating Hawaiian music as authentic folk music, which really began about the time Gabby joined the Sons of Hawaii (saw them play!) has guided me through the years.

I left the islands in 64 and have been moving steadily Northeast over the past 40 years and now find myself settled in Cambridge MA. I have worked mostly as a radio announcer and DJ, and have been teaching radio stuff, college level, for the past 25 years.

For several years, the Somerville theater here would put on a show of Hawaiian slack key guitar players, and that re-ignited my interest in the music. (They haven't been back lately- I guess the winter weather was too much for them!)

I'm collecting cds, mostly from Dancing Cat, and playing a lot more. I have a little home studio, so I can record a guitar part, and then play with myself. (uh, let me rephrase that!)

Anybody in the Boston area want to get together and pick some?

Mahalo!

Larry Miller

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  12:08:52 PM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard Larry...

(from another Larry)

Nice musical bio - you were lucky to be in those places at those times!

When I can play like Kottke used to, I will probably quit!
(I keep dragging out his version of Fahey's "Last Steam Engine
Train", then learning about 24 barres in the space of a few weeks,
then putting it aside again for awhile... someday though!)
Just heard him play again on P.H.C. from Deluth last nite.

Lotsa good folks here...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/09/2005 12:12:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  6:37:10 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Larry,

Get out of Cambridge!! Did my time in Swampscott/Marblehead. Love it, but there is no comparison to the islands!! Yet, you do have the opportunity to spread the art...carion!!

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  7:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Larry. So did we ever attend the same events at the Somerville theater? I saw Keola Beamer, George Kahumoku, Raymond Kane, Makaha Sons, Sistah Robi... when I lived and worked in Boston '94-'99.

If you haven't already done so, try contacting Al Wong at http://bostonhawaiianclub.org

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  8:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh no! Are you saying that Ray Kane (et al) played in B. Town when I was there? Please come to Nashville!.....

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  09:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Larry, welcome to the TP.
Cambridge aye?, I'm from Clinton, just outside of Worcester. You'll really enjoy the TP, great bunch of people.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  09:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by slackkeymike

Oh no! Are you saying that Ray Kane (et al) played in B. Town when I was there? Please come to Nashville!.....
Shoot, I was going to say check out the NAMM show because I think Ledward Kaapana, Cyril Pahinui and others have attended before. Unfortunately, looks like the show is now going to other cities: Indianapolis, IN in 2005 and Austin, TX in 2006.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  7:07:27 PM  Show Profile
Trying to remember: several Pahanui brothers, Rev. Dennis, George Kahumoku, several others. Saw the show at the Somerville theater every winter for about 4 years, but they stopped coming. Too cold, I guess.
Yes, I have been thinking about joining the Boston hawaiian club- see if they want to play some music.

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2005 :  6:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Larry. Come visit the So. Cal taropatchers sometime.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Bill Neubauer
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  4:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Neubauer's Homepage
Aloha, Larry! I've lived in the frozen North most of my life (near Buffalo, NY) and have had about as much of it as I can stand. Especially now that I've discovered Slack Key (probably one of those same tours that came through Somerville - Keola Beamer (with his wife Moanalani and her sister dancing) Ray and Elodia Kane, George Kahumoku, Jr, and George Kuo, back in Nov/96) and I'm trying to slip it into the local music scene, with out much luck. Maybe if I described it as "sorta like classical guitar - but with an 'edge' ". Oh, well, I'm sure you know how it is - once it's in your heart, it's gotta come out through your fingers! Stay warm!

Kika Pila (Guitar Bill)

Kika Pila
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000