Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 IZ sightings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  06:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

Andy

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  4:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
These Iz sightings are a neat idea. Makes me gotta tell the story of my personal first sighting of him:

About 5 years ago, I was near Kukui Grove, driving to the Borders store on Kauai and listening to the local radio station when "Over The Rainbow" came on. I just had to hear who that was so I pulled over, stopped and turned up the volume, hoping to catch what the announcer was going to say. She listed all the songs she had played in that set plus the artists. When she came to that one, she said: "That was Bruddah Iz singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." It makes me cry everytime I hear it."

Huh? I had little experience of pidgin - Brud a Is? Brother Is? Bruda'is? I got to Borders and grabbed a salesperson at the CD section: "Do you have a singer called something like Brutha Is?" She turned and showed me the Iz section. (What restraint! I later looked up and saw that some 12 feet of the wall was covered by a huge poster showing his photo and name! ) I was also amazed when she knew right where to send me for both his recordings of "Over The Rainbow."

And that's where it all started. A couple of years ago, I bought the Iz CD's I didn't already have and gave them all to my father while he was dying. He wasn't real with it but mother told me he seemed to like to hear them. And I now have a Golden Retriever named "Iz" - which calls for all sorts of good explanations when I am walking him and people ask his name. It was also neat when one of the nurses at work, who doesn't speak a word of Hawaiian, cried when she heard Iz' "Kaulana Kawaihae."

So that's my Intro. to Iz story. It would be fun to hear other peoples'.

Mark (E)
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  6:21:50 PM  Show Profile
I first "heard" of Iz while in Kaua'i...second trip. Heard he came off the forbidden isle. Anyways, bought (at Borders) his 'N Dis Life' cd and have been a fan ever since.

BTW, Just watched "My first 50 Dates" and his music is i there too!!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  10:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Iz shows up here from time to time, this place still visited by some of Bruddah's cyber ohana .. people fortunate enough to chat with the big man before he moved on. Sometimes he would go online and just chat with himself if nobody around. So, no ack and be respectful.

http://walaau.hotspotshawaii.com/interaction$/chat/izchat
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2005 :  7:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Incidentally, there are several of Iz' CD's in Raro Records on Rarotonga. I didn't see much else from Hawaii there but they sure knew him!

Mark (E)
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  04:06:03 AM  Show Profile
I am not sure how I feel about all this. On the one hand, remembering and honoring his art and memory is good. And, it boosts Hawaiian music in general. But, I am truly sad that he never got the recognition he deserved on the mainland and in the world media when he was alive. Yes, he was a legend locally, but his reach *was* mostly local then - only a few of us on Moku Honua ever knew about him or listened to his recordings. In addition, all this current activity seems to speak of some kinds of marketing efforts that don't benefit the proper people - Hallmark, MTV, Apple/iPod, etc. etc.

So, I am really conflicted, because it seems that he is being used, in that bad sense.

And, yes, Iz did post on a.m.h (or was it s.c.h? - it was so long ago the my memory is failing), even from his hospital room, and those of us who hung there were blown away by chatting with him - even so remotely, and even under such worrying circumstances.

Nonetheless, we always listen to his recordings, including the older ones when he was with the Makaha Sons (of Ni`ihau) and marvel.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 02/08/2005 04:06:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  08:56:25 AM  Show Profile
I unfortunately was a late bloomer to Iz's music, just begining to hear and know him as a performer in his last few years. I thought his legacy was huge. As with with most Hawaiian performers, the mainland exposure is always minimal. I don't think this made his impact any less. He diffently got recognition. I never felt he was being "used".
The list is endless of performers, (rock, jazz, blues, etc...)who everyone's heard of, but are now "more famous" dead. As more people become familiar with Hawaiian performers, so too, will their appreciation for those they haven't heard. Its a natural course.
I'm not a Beatle's fan, but you can see how that following never seems to die, for example.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Tommy
Akahai

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  3:11:07 PM  Show Profile
It was in 1998 that I heard Iz. I was so taken with the music that I painted a portrait of him which hangs in my home. A day doesn't go by that I don't play a song he recorded or listen to one of his Cds. My alarm clock is programed to wake me to Panini Pua Kea.
Tommy Cheng
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  6:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, I can understand both sides of this issue. Yet, I get really excited when I hear one of his songs in a movie (his voice and sound are so IZ) and tell everyone, and occasionaly one of them goes out and buys his CD and his legend lives on another day. Most great artists are found this way...it just takes a long time to reach like-minded hearts. Be glad that it happens none the less?

Peace (how do you say peace in Hawaii?)

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2005 :  6:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
It really does not bother me much that his songs are used to sell something, more than likely used as a marketing tool by people and corporations far removed from the music and the message. Corporate sensibilities and goals are in ironic opposition to what's going on here. But, what this accomplishes is trickling people into the Hawaiian music scene. Some of them will take the time to learn more about the music, the culture, and the messages.

Also, Marlene (his lovely widow) and Wehi (his daughter) will be rewarded with more profits from Mountain Apple. She afforded a home after Iz moved on, partially by profits from the new-found mainland popularity. It is a great, lingering sadness that he did not live longer though. Iz was so many things. He continues to be a source of pride for Hawaiian people. He was also a window into a culture, which continues to remain semi-invisible to most people. His music is still stunning, after all these years. After he died, I was fortunate in getting the photograph from Jon de Mello, of Iz with Marlene stroking his hair, which hangs in my living room. This is the same photograph which hung over him when he was lying in state at the capital.

Certainly, every one here should own all of his cds and dvds.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  11:11:52 AM  Show Profile
Well said David.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  7:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Please,

Does anyone have some good biographical info on Iz? I have heard so much, I would like to separate fact from fiction.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  9:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Watch for Iz's music on TV this week. Also, slackkeymike, maybe checking out the link at the end of the press release with help you out?
quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 28, 2005

808-597-1888 or suzi @ mountainapplecompany.com

CBS chooses IZ's "Over the Rainbow" for hit TV series "Cold Case"

The beautiful voice of Hawai'i's own Israel Kamakawiwo'ole will once again be heard nationally when it's featured on CBS television series "Cold Case." The March 6, 2005 episode titled "Wishing" will present the Hawaiian hero's rendition of "Over The Rainbow" in the 1-hour show starting at 8pm (check local listings for time). "Cold Case," is produced by Jerry Bruckheimer whose unending list of stellar production credentials include films like Armageddon, Top Gun and Pearl Harbor, and popular TV series' Amazing Race. The weekly 1-hour drama, starring Kathryn Morris (Minority Report), follows a team of investigators who use new technology and research efforts to solve "cold cases" or old cases.

IZ's beautiful voice has attracted a growing fanbase worldwide. Most recently, his music has been used in such productions as New Line Cinema's "Son of the Mask" which opened in theatres worldwide earlier this month. It will also be heard in Hallmark Greeting Cards Easter television commercial "Bunny Tales" which is set to air in March.

Both featured songs are off of IZ's Gold Record album "Facing Future".

For more information on the wonderful music of IZ visit,
www.mountainapplecompany.com/artists/iz.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000