Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 HAPA version - Ka uluwehi o ke kai - last part ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Janelle
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  5:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Janelle's Homepage
Hi everyone, I am part of Arizona State University's Hawaii & Pacific Islander Club and we are learning hula to Hapa's version of Ka uluwehi o ke kai. I wanted to know the lyrics and translation to it which I found at http://www.huapala.org/Ka/Ka_Uluwehi_O_Ke_Kai.html however, this website does not include the lyrics/translation for the very verse of the song (the part with only the ipu, kinda chanting). I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide the lyrics and translation for this part? We would greatly appreciate it as we feel it is important to understand the song we are dancing too. If anyone can help, please respond. Thanks!

I'm sorry that this may not be the most appropriate forum to post this question at, but I'm not too famliar with the online Hawaiian music scene. Much thanks

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2005 :  5:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Janelle!
If you don't have success here, I would go directly to the HAPA website with the same message you have above. I believe they are very happy to share with us, especially with what you are doing. I very briefly spoke with Barry last weekend at the San Diego Concert and he said let him know what he could do to help us learn - that was a very brief encounter, but very sincere - go for it and have fun!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  3:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Janelle,

The chanted last part isn't really a verse, it is chant added by HAPA to the song.

E ho'i hou mai ana [Returning]
No ka 'aina iwituamo'o [To/for the family/ancestral land]
No ka lahui [To/for the People]

Hope that helps!
Aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  5:34:17 PM  Show Profile
Aunty Nancy,

Please post the website,

Mahalo,

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  5:44:26 PM  Show Profile
www.hapa.com comes to mind

Dave
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  7:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Slack Key Trivia....

The Legendary Hawaiian group "Waiehu Son's" originally recorded that version on their album in the '80's. What taropatcher belonged to this group?

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  05:12:59 AM  Show Profile
Kevin?

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  08:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Kevin!

(And his brother Sheldon and Arthur Betts were the other Sons )

Edited by - Sarah on 02/28/2005 3:13:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  10:08:17 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Patrick

Reading this post brought back some memories of this song. And yes! aunty, that was....."back in the days".

Aunty Edith Kanakaole wrote this song, she recorded it first and then the Brothers Cazimero. At around the same time the caz released there version, we just completed our first recording called, "Ho'olu" in 1980. ( on LP, Cds were not around yet.)

That arrangement was done by kumu hula.... Hokulani Holt Padilla , from halau, "Pa'u O Hiiaka". The halau entered a hula competition that was held every year at one of the malls. ( 79 or 80.) Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai was one of the songs we did for the men ( kane ) division. In a hula competition, before singing the "choice" song you need a, Ka'i ( entrance song.) and a, Ho'i ( exit song.)

Having knowledge of the culture, Hoku knew that the hawaiians favorite food came from the mountain and ocean, and ka uluwehi o ke kai was the choice song, talking about the different seaweeds that the people love to eat. Another favorite of the hawaiian people was the "Kalo"(taro ).

So hoku called us one day and we worked on the ka'i and the ho'i along with ka uluwehi o ke kai. Ka'i was... "O na kalo na ono o ka aina, iwituamo'o no ka lahui , Hiwahiwa ua i'au pele o ke ala uwahi oka nui mi'i", and then we sang ka uluwehi o ke kai, and when the men started to "Exit" the stage,( Ho'i ) thats when we came in with... "E ho'i hou mai, ina ono oka aina,iwituamo'o no ka lahui, hiwahiwa ua i'au pele o ke ala uwahi oka nui mi'i", and they were off the stage. ( by the way the men took 1st place.)

Around there necks they wore seaweeds that were entwine into a lei and they kept it in a bucket that had salt water from the ocean to keep it fresh before they got on stage.

Not long after the competition we were in the studio, aunty edith and the caz came out with there version of ka uluwehi o ke kai. So we asked hoku if we could use her arrangement, because it was a little different from the other recordings. after listening to ka uluwehi o ke kai over and over in the studio we felt something was'nt right, it was the feel of the song.

So we called hoku and asked her if we could use one of her hula dancers, the next day the dancer came in , he was placed behind a glass window where we could see him and he could hear the music that we were singing, and it was like we were back at the competition only thing it was in a studio... we needed the feel of the dancer as he came in...then dance to ka uluwehi o ke kai, and then went out. Back then that version of ka uluwehi o ke kai had a lot of air time on the radio, it also was nominated for the hokus. So whenever we hear that version we always picture that hula dancer that danced behind the glass window while it was being recorded. Hapa did a great job, they added a harmonica and that made it different, just like when we added the ka'i and ho'i that made it different from the others.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  10:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha kevin,

what a great story!!

are the masters for your album "ho`olu" still around?

you and sheldon sound awesome,
keith

Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  1:47:18 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Keith

Mahalo... Sarah, I forgot to mention the band members, upright bass, atta betts / slack uke sheldon brown / our music was based around the hawaiian slack key and falsetto singing, the group started in 1970. still going, kinda semi-active.

Keith the masters were lost, we think the producer took it back with her to canada and can't locate her. We have a few LPs of "Ho'olu" and a lot of our second recording, "Wailele Waiehu".

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin...hey keith we're all invited back to hana for the tarofest, anychance you'll be close by??? ( 4/ 1st and 2nd /05 )

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  3:30:51 PM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Kevin,
You know we have two copies of Wailele Waiehu ... just in case one copy goes bad! Wonderful album. What ever happened to Atta Betts? He just go his own way? We love his singing.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  3:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kevin!
I was hoping we would have another good story soon - you must be very busy these days!
And how does Sarah know EVERYTHING?! and mahalo for sharing it with us!! One of these days we're gonnna hafta take away Keith's buspass (air) so he'll stay home with us!
ahh - Back in the Days.... there was a man.... I think I have that memorized... it keeps running through my head.
aunty

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  3:58:18 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Sarah

After our second recording, about 6 months after the release, Attas oldest son got accepted to kamehameha school on oahu, Attas wife really missed there son, so the whole family decided to move to honolulu.

They moved away in 85, then we picked up another bass player that sang falsetto too.

And 15 years later, when ikaika graduated from high school and kaena from college, we threw a big party for the both of them in our back yard with the imu and the whole works. We had a reunion of the waiehu sons, after 15 years we got back together to play for there party.

After playing the first song, it was like we never parted, everything fell in place. The first song we did was?....yup....ka uluwehi o ke kai.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2005 :  8:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Aunty

We've known sarah and reid for a loooooong time. They've watch all of our children grow up, so that makes them ....Ohana!

Malama Pono!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2005 :  05:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Kevin,

Those stories are just wonderful - real history of the heart.

You know, over in the techie recording part of TP, we have been talking about recording to click/rythm tracks. NOBODY on the mainland would have *ever* thought to use a hula dancer as a visual rythm track to record to. It is a perfecly brilliant idea - you get the rythm, the emotion, the feeling and the memory.

Man, we wish you were coming closer than 2500 miles on your moku honua tour. We could have some kinda lu`au! Sarah and I just live in the wrong place.

Aloha,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000