Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Out of the closet...finally
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  1:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage

Karl
Frozen North

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  1:35:11 PM  Show Profile
clothes closet, gun closet, food closet, guitar closet, hall closet?
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  1:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Spring has sprung and you have light?

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  3:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Monetti, you dufus idiot...it's the tab button, not the return button!

This was supposed to be a little tooting of my own horn, but look where it got me....a mistake before i even got started!

So, I'm in thiis little group of Wednesday night mostly-beginner pickers/fiddlers/banjo-mando-bass players at the not-so-local school 30 miles away. They play mostly bluegrass stuff, but it allows me to sit in the back and play some slide stuff, learning how to adccompany others, do some fills, occassionally get to play a solo break. Once in w while they have folks do solos of their own, and when i get the call it is usually a slakc key number. THis usually brings some measure of applause and appreciation from the group. One of the newer members is a really good musician who says he has played in Hawaii with Gabby and Bla and others back in the eighties ( anyone know of Earl Hughes, steel player from that era?). He has been a friend for a long time and we played a bit the other night together and he said, you really ought to play out some, you've got some nice stuff there. Next day i had to go to town and remembered a coffee shop owned by a friend whi is a musician. He had often asked me in the past to come by over noon hour when he had an open mike set up, but i had never been in town at the right time. I decided to stop in. Just as i walked in the door, he was coming out from the counter with a guitar in a case. I asked if he was going to play, and he said, it was one of his employee's guitars and he was just going to check it out. I asked if he was still playing music at noon. "No, this was the first time in 2 years he had had any time to do so (day job is an electrician/engineer/surveyor). What are you doing here?" "well, I came by to see if you were playing" "Nope, YOU are playing!" Well, there it was again, a pressure situation that i had no time to think about, so, no pressure! There were about 8 people in there, more came and went over the next hour as i played whatever came into my head...mostly slack key stuff in open D and G. Even on an unfamiliar guitar (i think it was a Merlin,, or Matrin, or Martin, or some off-the-wall brand) the tunes just flowed. No singing, that would be a stretch, but I sure had fun, really, for the first time in front of any group. The music was well recieved and I now have a standing invitaiton to return any time, even though there is no longer an open mike; just come and play.
I am happy to report, I will do just that!
Thanks for all the support you guys give just by telling of your own excursions out into the public; it really helps build ones confidence to try it alone.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  12:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey Wow!!!
Congratulations!!! Hope you make it down to SoCal on your big trip to the west coast so we can hear you!!!
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  06:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Good on ya, Karl! I wish I was as brave. I guess it just takes doing it once to break the ice, yah? I need one of those spontaneous surprises to get off my duff and get out there. Congrats, brah! Wish we could've all heard you!

M
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Great job, Karl!
As they say on the street, you were representin'!
The more slack key fans, and Hawaiian music fans, we can make, the better.
Awesome.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  04:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Karl, nice to know you put those 'ol moose skeletons in the closet to rest. All this without mittens?!! Now that's impressive, when does your concert tour swing down to the lower 48?
We must have you down to jam. Don't forget to bring me a bear claw or something.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

IzAwGd
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  08:51:20 AM  Show Profile
Karl,
Sounds like the perfect venue. Folks coming and going without having enough time to put you under the microscope. A friend of mine did the same type of thing at an ice cream shop. He was actually glad there were other distraction going on, it helped ease the tension. I'm curious, can you remember your repertoire? or did it just go by in an instant with your head spinning?
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  09:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Way to go Karl! Thanks for sharing your success story.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  09:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
How about a moose nugget or two......those bears don't like lending out their claws
Thanks for all the nice comments. They may have been different had you actually heard me:)
The tour is still waiting for gigs to line up; first off is finding a workshop on the west coast this coming summer. Patrick Landeza says he will have one or two, but the times may not mesh with mine. Then, from the workshop I thought perhaps a viszit with SCSKS, but.....HEY, this just in!..... I am afraid Canrnegie Hall has me booked for the rest of the summer, so, you'll just have to await the CD or the PBS fundraiser week broadcast of the live, sold-out concert with me, Yanni, Pavarotti, Battle, Sting, the Lip-Synch Mambo trio and the Blind Boys of Alabama to show up on your local tv schedule. Sorry...

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000