Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Song Titles: Their Meaning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  3:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Wondering if many of you out there attempt to translate the titles (and lyrics, for that matter) of the Hawaiian songs we all play.

I enjoy doing this, as it gives more meaning to even the instrumental tunes. For example, when I play Molehu, I think of sunsets and that quiet time after dinner when the world seems to stop for a few minutes.

I think that Ray Kanes "Punahele" means "favorite child."

"E Ku'u morning dew" is tough to translate. I >>think<< it might mean "The departing of the morning dew" but I'm not sure.

My favorite website to try and figure this stuff out is :

http://wehewehe.org/cgi-bin/hdict?e=q-0hdict--00-0-0--010---4----den--0-000l--1haw-Zz-1---Zz-1-home---00031-0000escapewin-00&d=&l=en

Sorry I couldn't figure out to put an active link to the site, you'll have to cut and paste.

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  03:23:35 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Lance,

You might already know, www.huapala.org is a great lyrics site, as it has a great number of songs and translations. It is fun to do it yourself, though, as long as you double-check yourself. Don't want any faux pas ;-)

"E Ku'u Morning Dew" means "My Morning Dew", where ku'u is the affectionate possessive (see dictionary meaning no.3). The "E" in this location signifies that the speaker is addressing the subject. It has a kahakö over it when written properly with modern orthography.

As for myself, I always translate the title and lyrics - I feel that if I don't understand the meaning, I can't sing or play the song properly. And the words are so beautiful.

That dictionary site is great. I think of the monumental labor of love it was to enter all the words in the Pukui Elbert dictionary as well as the Mamaka Kaiao dictiontary. It sure is convenient to have it to refer to when online.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

ToeBone
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  11:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit ToeBone's Homepage
I'm the same way. Singing a song without understanding the lyrics just doesn't make sense.

E Ku`u Morning Dew was one of the songs that first hooked me on Hawaiian music. As done my Moe Keale who was the one who hooked me on `ukulele (hey, not everybody trolling this board is a slack key player :-)

And that Pukui/Elbert dictionary is great, it sits right by my monitor

Uke that 'tude!
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  3:28:04 PM  Show Profile
I can't imagine playing A Hawaiian song without at least once going through the words -- either in liner notes, Huapala, or asking some friends to help me translate. With my seive of a memory I don't always remembere all the verses, but at least I keep a sense of the song. Bottom line, one of the ways that traditional mele different from mainland songs is that the words are absolutely essential whereas melody is often just as or more important in mainland music.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  2:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I try to think about the lyrics as I sing them, trying to find the feeling in the words, though most of my audiences don't understand them. It's important to explain a song so that the listener can have a mental image of what the song is about. Otherwise, you're just plucking strings and babbling. It's also helpful to slow down the song and repeat the lyrics in English, if possible, or play an instrumental bridge where you can translate some of the words for the audience so they can understand the kaona or just the poetic imagery. Even translating the Hawaiian language can leave out a lot. If the entire two line stanza translates as "The small-leaf maile, from high on Wai'ale'ale", it's still short on meaning until you understand what those words meant to the Hawaiians of long ago. Even when there are conflicting stories behind the song, giving your audience one of them is better than none at all. Most performers give the endearing story behind "Meleana E", not the kolohe one, because it helps the audience get into the mood for hearing it.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2005 :  2:59:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Most performers give the endearing story behind "Meleana E", not the kolohe one, because it helps the audience get into the mood for hearing it.

What might that be? Or better yet, where could I look it up?

This is what Huapala.org says
quote:
Source: Jon Omi Keoni who acquired this information from Maryann's half sister, Francis Ka'a'a Na'ehu, an employee of the Federal Post Office in Honolulu. The song was written for the composer's daughter, Maryann Ka'a'a Dias, the mother of the former Farrington High School football coach Skippa Dias. Maryann, of Hawaiian-Scandinavian extraction, lived at the turn of the century and used to massage her father's shoulders when she was a young girl, growing up on O'ahu. Maryann would always cry when she heard the song performed at parties and on the radio. It reminded her of the great love she had for her father and for the song he wrote for her. Lomi lomi i'a means to massage the fish. Copyright 1963 Miller Music Corp.

I think if you read the English translation carefully you can get the two meanings. I would tell the endearing one.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  07:53:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Remember also the importance of the line that opens the final verse of so many Hawaiian songs: "Ha`ina `ia mai ka puana" - "Let the story be told."

Hawaiian was an oral language for generations, long before the written form was developed. You learned the stories, the songs, your family's entire history by listening to the kupuna, not by reading about it.

If any generation failed to learn their story and pass it on to the next, the stories (and the people, places and events described within them) ceased to exist - it was as if they had never happened. We'll never know the many songs, stories and families that have been lost to time.

So, in "letting the story be told," the events and people in the songs remain real - your responsibility as a singer is to learn the stories and to make sure they stay alive, by passing them on to others.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  7:38:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Mika'ele,
I brought up "Meleana E" because I've read the touching story about a daughter who massaged her father's shoulders, but some sources say "Meleana" may be a euphemism for a promiscuous person and the song may date back to the 1870s, well before the other story would have taken place.
There's also suggestive language such as "come and sleep here tonight" and "woman, come and massage me" that hints at a naughty story behind the song. Most singers sing it solemnly like a love song, but others sing it kolohe style, like Bla Pahinui. Perhaps the kolohe interpretation is bogus, or perhaps the credited author adapted a rowdy song to a more touching setting.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

donelle
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2005 :  10:11:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a slack key guitar player, but am very fond of the music. I'm actually looking for a little advice. I'm trying to pick a processional song for my wedding next Saturday and have been having a little bit of trouble. I want an instrumental song, that sounds very nice and mellow. My DJ gave me a CD of instrumental songs to listen to and a few of them are very nice, but I want to make sure that I am choosing one that is right for what I am using it for. If anyone could give me some advice, I would greatly appreciate it. The songs are:

E Ku'u Morning Dew - Keola Beamer
Kalena Kai - Keola Beamer & George Kuo
Pohakuloa - Moses Kahumoku

And ya...I'm pretty much stuck. Those are just a few of the slower paced songs that I could see my bridal party walking down to. But I don't want it to not be right for the occasion.
I've heard the Hawaiian Wedding Song and it's not exactly what I am looking for, it's more along the lines of the tempos of the songs I listed above.

My favorite out of the three above is E Ku'u Morning Dew, but I have been told that the song would not be right for the processional.

One other question, if it is the instrumental version and the words aren't being heard, does the meaning behind the song still hold?

Thoughts? PLEASE HELP!

Edited by - donelle on 08/03/2005 10:19:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  05:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
From what I understand of "Morning Dew" it would be a lovely processional. It's a heartfelt love song.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  05:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi donelle,

some other songs to consider - ke`ala's mele by Leonard Kwan, ko`kee by Led Ka`apana, the medley wai o ke aniani and `ahulili by george kuo, haniapoe by john keawe, sanoe by mark nelson (actually, there's a lot of songs to consider on his "water is wide" album).

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  05:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by donelle

My favorite out of the three above is E Ku'u Morning Dew, but I have been told that the song would not be right for the processional.

One other question, if it is the instrumental version and the words aren't being heard, does the meaning behind the song still hold?
In my opinion, you should choose the song that you like best. It's your wedding and the day should be a reflection of the couple getting married. If you like it, it's right.

By the way, here's a translation of E Ku'u Morning Dew.

And not to create even more choices, but you might also consider what some consider to be the "real" Hawaiian Wedding Song, Lei Aloha, Lei Makamae. Teresa Bright does a beautiful verson (with vocals) on her Painted Tradition album.

Congrats and have a wonderful wedding!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

donelle
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  08:34:49 AM  Show Profile
WOW! Thank you all so much for your help!! I'll definitely look into those songs listed above tonight when I get home from work. And thanks for the comments about using E Ku'u Morning Dew. I just might use it in that case, but I'll definitely listen to these other songs before I make my final decision! I'm very excited to listen to them.

I really appreciate your help with this and supportive input!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  10:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Not sure if you can get a copy of Patrick Landeza's Pu'unaue in time. And unfortuntely there is not a sound clip for the song Pilipuka. I do not truly know the meaning but it's pretty, has a good feel and cadence for the processional.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  2:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I wouldn't recommend "Wai O Ke Aniani" for a wedding - the song is about a man who "visits" the "flowers" of different "islands" - you should be able to get the kaona from that; not really good monogamous-relationship material.
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  8:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Donelle,

Congratulations on your marriage.

FYI Kalena Kai is a song about a famous bath house. This may not be appropriate for your wedding.

I cast another vote for E Ku'u Morning Dew. It's a beautiful love song that people never seem to get tired of hearing.

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000