Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taropatch CD set 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  5:47:52 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Jesse,

For offering to put this all together!

(and thanks for the help last year too!)

Count me in for one submission at least.

Cynthia will probably want to submit one for herself too.

I also am a member of a trio now - Na La'au Ki'eki'e.
(the tall trees)

Na La'au Ki'eki'e would also like to submit one as well.
(I think... A third individual is involved here)

Three Months would be barely enough time, but I think we
can just make it.

(I have two other multi-disc CD projects going on right now
AND I have also have a day job where they like you to work
10 hours an day and some weekends too!)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  7:04:04 PM  Show Profile
I'll check with Susy when she gets back in town next week, we may inflict something on you :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  8:07:38 PM  Show Profile
I, Kapila Kane, take the challenge...
to submit a tune to the project...
I will have to record after the July flurries...tune TBA.
Thanks for taking it on.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/10/2005 8:14:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  8:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks Lawrence, Cynthia, Jean and others.
I would encourage anyone who can play through a song to try and get it recorded to put down some tracks and send it to me via email or snail mail. You won't regret it.
Jesse Tinsley
849 Centennial Ct.
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  8:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Jesse, -
You sure you want to put your address in a public forum --
most people could get to you through your link.

My advice, having done the first compilation.
1) Keep it simple
2) Set your parameters and limits and keep to them. You are providing a great service. You will probably not be able to please everyone. This will take a lot of work, so decide what you're willing to do, and keep to it.
3) Are you sure $5.00 will cover your costs for materials and postage? Also - how many disks are you willing to duplicate yourself? Will you need other TP members to help duplicate or will you use a service -- factor in costs. --- (Figure out how much 2 or 3 disks will cost to mail, how much the mailer will cost - Using envelopes, you'll probably have to go with a CD box as opposed to padded envelope. -- cost of disks, labels, envelopes, etc. - ) I pretty much broke even 'cause a few people sent extra and a few people didn't include $$.

I don't want to discourage you, because it was well worth it for me to do. Just a note to be realistic.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  02:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Jesse,

I'm with Dave and Raymond: simplicity and,don't become a philanthropist.

Check with Craig and Raymond and others about the steps they had to go through (do a sketch list of tasks/flow chart, if necessary), and what it cost them to do each one. And, don't forget that labeling CDs (and other ancillary operations)is a tedious task.

Also, for the last CD set, we sent checks (or $$) with the submission , and return mail labels (IIRC).

Thanks, and good luck,

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  05:01:11 AM  Show Profile
Boy! Miss a couple of days and the world caves in. I'm in for two.
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  05:09:40 AM  Show Profile
Jesse
Thanks for putting this together.
I'm in for one.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  05:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
Really, really beginners??? Are you serious about this? I've been playing with Ozzie's book for all of five days now and I am working with Exercise 1 (Kane Ki Ho'alu). I *love* the second part how it bounces up the neck and I'm really enjoying it (chiming is still a big challenge--I can do it by itself but incorporating it into the song is fun work)! In past years I really wanted a copy of the CD to hear all you guys but had nothing to submit. If you're serious about "beginners" then I'll figure out how to make a recording...can I do a really simple ukulele pick/strum thing, too?

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  05:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I realize this project requires some work and coordination with others who may assist, but I enjoyed last year's project so much, I didn't want to see a year go by without getting us all together in a virtual song circle. Plus I get to hear them first!
I don't have the computer audio expertise that Cpatch had, but I can burn CDs, print labels and covers. I'm planning on 25 cents per blank CD or CD label, about a buck for a double CD case (probably less) and $2.50 for shipping. and 50 cents for printing costs. There probably won't be the thick booklet that Sarah put together last year, but there will definitely be a track listing and some details, like artist name and TP.net name, tuning, instrumentation and song background.
I'm not worried about putting my address online. I work as a news photographer and meet some rough people, but it's never been an issue. And for slack key players, my door's always open.
Thanks for all the response. Let's get recording!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  06:03:51 AM  Show Profile
Ok Jesse,

One thing I can think of that can help balance the workload over time is to send you the printed info during this "dead time" when Sarah is at work and we can't record. We know the pieces she will perform, I know the equipment we have and will use, the timing of each piece will be about to the nearest quarter or half-minute (but can be updated later). This way you can have a Word doc started and block out the order of the pieces on the CDs.

Expect a Word doc in a day or two.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  06:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'll have a couple of tracks to send.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  07:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Tonya...YES! Beginner means you! Last year's CD included a 12-year-old's version of "Kani Ki ho'alu" and it was great. You're welcome to try it, too. But you can also do an ukulele instrumental or vocal song. This isn't strictly slack key. Most of us are lovers of Hawaiian music of all genres.
A good idea from Reid:
If you have your song titles selected, perhaps contributors could be sending along song and personal information in the near future. These include:
Name of song
Original songwriter (if known)
Your name (and taropatch.net user id)
A photo of yourself (optional but nice)
Tuning(s) used for the song
What instrument(s) you played for the song
How the song was recorded, including pickup/mic/effects used
A little about yourself, including:
- How long you've played guitar
- How long you've played slack key
- Why you picked this song to submit

That seems like a lot of information, but don't perseverate over it. I'll be editing it down to a paragraph, so you don't have to write an essay. Reid also suggested that folks submit the estimated length of each song. If you can do that, it's great.
Although I didn't mention it earlier, if the number of contributors blossoms to unweildy proportions, the result might be an MP3 CD instead of a stack of audio CDs. For the non-techie, that means the disc would only play in a computer, DVD player or a very limited number of CD players. It would only be a last resort, but it would make it easier to package and send.
I'm glad to hear from Fran, Keith and others who are excellent players, but I'm also hoping to recruit some first-timers, so pass the word.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 07/11/2005 07:33:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  08:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jesse,
I will be in for one or two and thank you for your efforts. JlSulle'
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti