Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taropatch CD set 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  06:19:17 AM  Show Profile
I'd recommend that. One submission. Jesse, this could get real big real fast.

Craig....it's good to see you post. I was checking to see if maybe San Diego fell off of California or something.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  06:36:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I also think one each would be more practical for the number of participants. Put me down for one.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  06:45:33 AM  Show Profile
We should see how the track count adds up before limiting the
submissions. An 80 minute CD will hold 22 3.5 minute songs,
so 44 will fit on two CDs.

With 24 submitters, and an average of 1.5 songs each, there
are about 36 songs so far. There will be more submitters, but
there will also be some sign-ups that do not send submissions.

And keep in mind that a lot of slack key tunes are short.

If we indicate which cut is our #1 preferred submission, then
Hapakid can inform us if he runs out of room and cut us at that
point (some Months from now).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/13/2005 06:47:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  07:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by cmdrpiffle

Craig....it's good to see you post. I was checking to see if maybe San Diego fell off of California or something.

Thanks. I drove up to the Sacramento area recently to visit family and I can verify that San Diego is still attached to the rest of the state.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/13/2005 07:00:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  07:06:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Well, I say hapakid has all the power to make the ultimate decision regarding number of tracks since it will ultimately be his time and effort compiling this project.

And I also don't think that Craig should let lack of practice get in the way of submitting a track. Practice? We don't need no stinking practice!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  08:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'm thrilled with all the interest, so I'm not setting arbitrary limits yet. Most of the fun is sharing music, not the exclusivity of getting included. Two tracks per player allows contributors to show off multiple facets of their skill.
The downside might be a final product which is an mp3 CD instead of a set of audio CDs. But I'm game to go up to three CDs, albeit with simple packaging.
So I'll wait until October 1st and see how many tracks are submitted.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

rhnelson
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  4:49:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm in. One guitar and one ukulele. My teen age sons have a lot of audio recording equipment laying around, so I'm sure I can get a mp3 made.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  5:48:26 PM  Show Profile
An MP3 disc is not a bad idea. HIGH-RATE MP3 (256Kbit and higher) actually sounds pretty good. If you take MP3 submissions (as opposed to .wav files or CDA) you should ask for AT LEAST a 256K rate. The 128K rate popular on the web stinks (I.M.H.O.) even with the new AAC (used with the the IPOD) or MP4. You would have no trouble fitting 60 to 100 tunes on a single high rate CDR!

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  6:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Lawrence,
I don't have a way to rip CD audio at 192 kbps, but I will encourage everyone to rip mp3 files at as high a rate as possible or stick with WAV or other uncompressed format. Still, I think the quality will vary from cut to cut.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  6:55:49 PM  Show Profile
What do you do with a mp3 disk when you don't have an mp3 player?
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  7:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
That's a good question, Raymond.
Although I'm not sure we'll end up there, an mp3 disk will play in a computer (just about any multimedia program, such as Windows Media Player, iTunes, Winamp, Realplayer) or in almost all DVD players that are hooked to a stereo. Alternatively, you can listen to the disk, pick 20-24 favorites and burn them to an audio CD. Some CD players are mp3 capable, too. It's not an ideal situation, but then many home-burned CDs don't play in standard CD players in cars or boomboxes. I have a bedside clock radio/CD player that won't play any homemade CDs (depending on its mood) such as last year's TP.net compilation.
But I want everyone to have a chance to take part, no matter what the quality of their recording.
Jesse

Edited by - hapakid on 07/13/2005 7:40:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  9:28:19 PM  Show Profile
If you're gonna go to all the work...make it so it works for the most formats...within reason.
last year's project played fine in the car cd player...
sorry Lawrence...but Time is Time.
and Money is Ephemeral, and I listen in the Toyota...

Maybe we could sell time shares.
1,000 dollars a cut.
Nun-the-less...I will comply.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  06:40:36 AM  Show Profile
Yes -

that is the really idiotic thing. MP3 is THE IDEAL format for automobiles and it should have been put into cars TEN years ago, but the car companies would then not have been able to sell their silly 10 CD car changers (for $1000 a pop). It is obvious to me now why it took so long for seat belts!

On the other hand most all portable players sold in the last 5 or 6 years and all DVD players can play MP3.

quote:
I don't have a way to rip CD audio at 192 kbps, but I will encourage everyone to rip mp3 files at as high a rate as possible or stick with WAV or other uncompressed format.

(I think you mean BURN not rip, rip refers to the decoding process and not the encoding/burning process)

You mean you want folks to ENCODE or BURN at as high a rate as possible for submissions (right)?

The MP3 standard includes high-rate decoding. If your player/decoder/ripper does not rip or play up to at least 384kbps, then it is violating the standard (and cannot rightly be called an MP3 system). The MP3 disks I shipped last year (for George's Camp) were 384Kbps and I remember you were able to play OK. If fact, everyone I shipped to seemed to be able to play OK, except that one bad TDK CDR was reburned.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If folks are reading this post, then they have (or are using) a computer. Almost all Computers have CD or DVD players/recorders and can play MP3. Portable MP3 players start at $30, if they do not have one, and they also do not have a home DVD player (these will play MP3 too) and they also do not have a Computer (but they DO have a $3000 guitar), then something is very unusual about their universe.

I am fine with regular CDA discs too, of course, but really mostly because of the idiotic built-in car player issue (eh Gordon)!

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/14/2005 06:52:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  07:19:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
You're right on the money, Lawrence, but I was referring to my ability to take a contributor's audio CD and rip it down to an mp3 for use on my computer or in an mp3 player. I have a shareware utility that'll rip at 128kbps, but I think I'll have to spend some money to get something that'll rip at 192 kbps or 256 kbps or even higher, so that I can preserve quality for (possibly) an mp3 disk.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  07:27:29 AM  Show Profile
Jesse - are you Mac or PC? There are are a fair number of free (or very low cost) rippers/players for PC that will work up to 384K! (and I could send you some - for PC) I mostly use NERO, which is not free but is low cost.

But this is not really a reccomendation to go for MP3 as the final result (I actually prefer 96K/24bit playback when I can get it, such as DVDA or super audio CDs, but practicality is always an issue)

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000