Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Live performance with condenser mics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  09:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I sang at a luau using a cheap MXL large diaphragm condenser mic and it worked great. The hot response gave a comfortable working distance from the mic itself, but I had to be careful to sing straight at the diaphragm to keep the volume level. If I tilted my head to look sideways at my bandmates, the sound level dropped off significantly.
Anyone else us a condenser mic for live performance?
Jesse Tinsley

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  10:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't perform with a condenser, but I use one for voice work. If you're going to turn to one side (and I don't know that this is necessarily true just for a condenser) you need to move your head backwards and towards the mic at the same time so your mouth comes around at an angle to the mic and is still projecting towards it.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/09/2005 12:09:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  11:23:07 AM  Show Profile
Jesse,

You know that I am no expert, but isn't likely that your mic had a cardioid pattern? If so, its strongest pickup is within a 45 degree cone, with apex at the diaphragm. So, there is a more or less (depending on the mic) severe dropoff (like up to 25 dB, or so, again depending)depending :-) on the angle at which the sound hits it. So, what you describe is not too surprising.

Actually, I am surprised you didn't have major feedback - that was the problem when we tried an AKG 3000B during a gig of Sarah's (and we tried several mic/speaker configs). So, we went back to a dynamic mic.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  1:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Reid,
I was working right at the edge of feedback (volume was low) but we didn't need much amplification for a small luau in a backyard.
I'm not sure about the pickup pattern, but it seemed to work best singing straight into the side of the thing. These are really cheap mics and the technology is pretty simple. There is no switch to change the pattern, so I assume it is cardioid.
We used two speakers and a Mackie powered mixer and we placed the speakers about 20 feet apart and a little ahead of us. We put a single monitor in front of us about six feet away and we were able to avoid most feedback. The voice going through the condenser mic soared above the dynamic mics (we had four singers) because of the clarity and wide frequency response. If we ever had indoor gigs, feedback will probably be a problem.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  6:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
From reading a few pro audio forums I gather that there are some condensers aimed at live use, they're generally hypercardioid and ruggedized. They may have some frequency response tailoring as well. The Neumann KMS105 gets lots of favorable comments. Shure offers the Beta 87 mics, Audio Technica has the Artist Elite series, and AKG makes the C535. These are all priced a bit above a low end MXL, though. And in the groups that discuss live sound, these condensers are not universally preferred to dynamics.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Y'all I'm new to slack key, and haven't performed any live, but I have played acoustic folk/blues/rock. I usa an Audio- Technica PRO7a condenser mike. It clips on at the soundhole, so the problem of moving on stage is limited to the vocal mike.The only problem with the AT has been feedback from the monitors. Placement is criticle. Behind me works best, but on the "deaf side ' of the mike works ok too.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  03:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Closest thing I have is a Sennheiser pick-up in my buttonbox. Great sound and control. In the guitar, a Fishman Thinline. I try to trfrain from singing as a public service.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2005 :  1:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Of course all the small "button" mics that mount on or in a guitar these days are condenser mics, specifically electret condensor mics, such as the one in the "Baggs Dual Source" pickup. I think the question is about using a "full size" or mic stand mounted condensor mic.

One person I know who uses a mike stand condensor on the stage is Bob Brozman, who very much likes to use a Neumann KM85 Hyper-Cardiod with his Hawaiian Lap Steel type guitars. This mic has a distinct roll-off of the lows which allows him to use it near the sound hole and the narrow pattern allows him a great deal of control of expression with small (but precise) movements of the instrument around the microphone. (Those of you who have seen him know he moves a lot!)

Beware that this kind of mic needs Phantom Power and may not work at every gig you go to unless you bring your own phantom power source.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/18/2005 1:52:17 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000