Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 A simple(?) pan question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2005 :  1:03:34 PM  Show Profile
OK, I understand what a value of 0 or 100 is on a pan slider (AA 1.5),
(first is 50%L and 50%R and the latter is 100% and 0%)

But, what is a value of 50R or 50L when you are using Equal Power Sine (the alternative is l/r cut log). Or, even, any other arbitrary numerical setting, if you can hack that

Is it 75%L and 25%R (or vice versa)? Or something else I obviously don't understand. Please don't tell me to use my ears. They are paralyzed.

Only tweaks need respond, the rest of you can ignore me as usual. Please, no ellipses.

Reid

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile
Pans are not so simple as it may seem. It is very hard to get the tones correct in each segment, even if you try to limit the number of segments in each pan. Marimbas are much easier, since you are just cutting wood to the right shape as opposed to hammering the bottom of a steel barrel.

---- Oh... you mean mixer pan POTS (not steel pans)?... Nevermind!!.... (re: Gilda Radner)...

Without my manual I do not remember the "other" pan rule for Audition, but the Equal Power rule is easy to figure out. Since you will have equal power no matter where you pan then the amplitude of the two stereo signals must be .707 (3 db down or half power) at the center position (0%) of the pan vs at the extreems. [{Coherent signals sum linearly, incoherent signals... sum as the RSS (root sum of squares)}] (((or as unintelligible blathering !)))

So... assuming that a full extreem pan is amplitude of 1.0, at the 50%L and 50%R points (actually the 25% and 75% points relative to an extreme pan with 50%-50% being in the middle) the signals should also linearly sum to one (powerwise). Since amplitude is the root of power (or is evil the root of power?) the amplitude of the weaker channel would be root(.25) or 0.5 ... and the amplitude of the stronger channel would be root(.75) or 0.86. The main point is that the overall loudness (power) of the signal does not change with pan setting. So why don't all pan pots use equal-power??!

HOLD IT... but isn't equal power the essence of a tri-lateral government structure?...
We should call up the congressional hearing room and ask John Roberts right now!!...
(but of course he will not give a direct answer)

Now remind me what the other pan rule is called??

A hui hou...

(ellipses r us)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/30/2005 06:44:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  08:02:34 AM  Show Profile
and i thought those high school math teachers were just trying to get me to study when they were promising that math would be useful in my adult life
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  10:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Many thankfulnesses El Awrence, effendi. I actually understand the answer (I used to be able to use a slide rule).

May the sweet dates of the palm trees at the oases fall into your open mouth as gently as the lithe houris massage your aching brain.

Yours, in the spirit of Al Gebra,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  2:25:58 PM  Show Profile
Hola El Lorenzo de Onda Sonora,

Just HOW do you remember all this stuff? Tanks Gott that you do...Aue!

My tiny brain shrivels at the thought of how many numbers and equations you hold in yours and recall with ease...

Mahalo for your continual, and patient, support in these matters. Your kokua is far-reaching.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  06:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo nui e Sarah,

Wheen i wus lyttle,
i waunted to gro up ta be an enganeer,
naow i r wun.

But I sure wish I could play guitar and sing half as good as you do!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 09/30/2005 06:45:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000