Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Clueless in Monterey
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  05:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Howsit Kiwini, don't forget to make a list of songs and check your equipment. Extra batteries for onboard pickups, spare fuses for amps, a emergency set of strings is a must(I would put new ones on several days before the gig so no need to worry about breakage during performance), extra finger picks if you use them and a spare guitar cord if you plug in. Other than that good luck and have fun. Alohas
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  9:11:04 PM  Show Profile
I found two cents to contribute to this great discussion (which has been very helpful to me as I prepare to play in a local restaurant myself). Deep breathing is another great way to take the edge off. It really helps me.

For all of you with experience in restaurant gigging, question: do you talk between songs, or just play through? I play regulary in a hotel dining room hula show but I think that is different. People are aware they are going to be watching a show and so I do talk. But this new thing, the restaurant thing where I'll be providing background music has me wondering about how much to chat between song. Any advice?

Good luck to you Kiwini.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  04:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Duke,

Since you know me you won't find it hard to believe that I talk to the diners "Bag-O-Wind" that I am. I try to only do it if more than a few people are attentive to what I'm doing or if I got applause or more than normal applause for playing a particular song. You might even try rehearsing a couple 1 to 2 minute stories to see if they work and to fine tune them for a "concert" opportunity.

Yes, breathing is important: Close your eyes, set the tempo of the song in you heart, take a couple easy deep breaths, blow the audience away. BTW, kudos on the restaurant gig. I love your playing and you honest voice. So will the audience.

Aloha nui,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  05:25:50 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo Big Dog! I'm looking forward to the experience. I'll be playing as part of a duo so...safety in numbers.

Aloha to you and Bev!

a hui hou
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  11:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Aloha Duke,
Coming home to Maui in about...10 days! We will be in Hana for a couple days, so hopefully we will see you play. We probably will be staying at Seven Pools, though maybe a stay in one of the hotels this time might be better...

I'm a friend of Dave's, and so I look forward to meeting you even more now. From Kihei/Lahaina side. I will be bringing my travel guitar, so listen to the silent Hana night for me around Seven pools side! (Hopefully won't wake da night marchers or white lady!)

As far as "talking story" between songs... I am finding it very easy for me to do it when I use examples of how the song became meaningful to me. For instance: When I play (try) Ka Uluwehi O ke kai, I use the example of how one of our girls at my restaurant always blamed me when she had to go up and dance to it. (even though I wasn't the one who told the musicians to call her up!) Oh Mahea girl...

So you see the song becomes important to da player. I try to remember "always" that most of these pieces, especially the traditional stuff, that they have very important stories/history to them. I always learn the history of a song first. That way when I play the song I know 1. What its about 2. The Translations (very important) and 3. probably more importantly who is the composer/artist who wrote it (Originally and maybe the newer version artist).

My playing consists mainly of friends and Ohana. I have been practicing more and more with guys who regularly play gigs/restaurants and because I have a restaurant, I get to see firsthand what they go thru. And so more and more I am getting chances to play.

Talking story is so imortant in my opinion. Playing as piece is one thing in and of itself, but knowing the background of it is even more important as well as neccesary. For many of the players of Slack Key "Ki ho'alu", when we are first hearing it we are blown away at the beauty and Mana of the sound. Next we find ourselves trying to figure out how the hell they are tuning that damn thing... We figure out a song or two and then we are playing for the rest of our lives... "We" owe it to the people of Hawai'i to "know" what we are singing/playing. We actually are very lucky to have Ki ho'alu so readily available knowing how hard it was to find someone to teach it long ago...

Wow I am going on and on... Basically my mentor has taught me that the most important aspect of Slack key, is the Poetry. Having knowledge of its background. I always find it so interesting to hear a song like: Ulupalakua and know its right in my backyard! (back home) If your from Ulupalakua then you have all kine stories to tell about it. But going to da roots of a song pays tribute to the person(s) who first made up the melody/ hummed it and eventually wrote it.

Talk story, make it interesting. Use your own life examples and how it became important to you. Or what the song means to you or how it makes you feel... Let folks see da personality that plays dat instrument! COME ON NOW KAUWILA!!!!!!!!!

"Me ke aloha o Maui nei"
Good luck and look forward to meeting you!
a hui hou,
Timmy
www.alohaislandgrille.com
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  7:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Timmy

Thanks for the thoughts! My musical partner and I will be playing Friday Dec 9 and again on Friday the 23rd, 6:30 - 8:30 pm, at the Hana Ranch Restaurant. I'll be performing with the hula halau on Friday Dec 16 at 7 pm, and again Dec 30 at 6:30 pm and 7:30 pm (two shows) at the Hotel Hana Maui in the main dining room. I think what I need to decide is how much to talk during the background music we are providing to diners at the restaurant (who aren't there for a show). I already know I talk too much during the hula show at the hotel because I think it's meaningful to the viewers who are there for a show. :)

Mahalo nui for your mana'o

Duke
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  7:12:10 PM  Show Profile
When I play restaurant I'm not doing a floor show nor am I somehow a "featured pertformer." I am playing background as part of the dining experience - no talk.

This also comes from the fact that when I go to a restaurant, as opposed to a concert, I prefer to be able to converse witrh my wife and friends and do not like to be disturbed by musician talking story. Going to a concert, floor show or featured performer is difdferent 'cause then I'm really making the choice to go for the performance.
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  9:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Here's my take on that Raymond.

Folks come to my place to "see" people play. Its not a show(floor show), but folks know that when they come here on a thursday nights, Huna Wai is playing and that means getting da crowd involved. ie: dancers in the crowd, people who want to come up and sing and folks who appreciate the music and are there to hear them play. People love it.

I think that some restaurants are different than others and that may be the case. But also it may be that some "styles" dont fit the enviorment. Like quiet mellow nahe nahe players who play songs and aren't really into getting the people involved.(a different arena) Yes they are there to eat and converse. But if you are going to a restaurant you know has music every thursday night, you know what you are there for. To Eat, and Enjoy the music! So Talk story in my place happens every time a musician plays. Regardless. If a person wants to not be disturbed by the musician then they probably won't be found at a place like ours on Thursday nights... Its all about da aloha and that is the night.

Steve Inglis played today. He is amazing. He plays more technical and Naha nahe then many many people I have seen play. He's very talented and sings with great passion and aloha. He slows it down to da nahe nahe stuff and speeds it up to his own fun stuff. All along "talking story".And people love it. We had people up dancing, duets, and rounds of applause just like a "floor show".
It all comes down to what "you" want as a customer and the kind of establishment your in.

The folks who come here, are here for the enviorment, the food and... The music/talk story. Just depends on the kind of place. For instance. I don't go to an Italian restuarant to hear Italian musicians playing. Unless I like Italian music and I know that its going on there. Or going to a mexican restaurant to hear Mariachi's. If I am in the mood I will go. But if not then...

Talking story doesn't mean a rambling of things on and on... It is meant to let people know what song is being played and the story behind it. So if that is going to disturb your conversation or dinner... maybe a piano bar? Hawaiians talk story. Huna wai plays great "Every" time. I guess you just have to come and see for yourself...

But if not, then wait till the next show. possibly sometime in January. They opened for Makaha Sons of Niihau, played with Eddie Kamae, Debbie Ahuna, Led Kaapana and da list goes on...

Bottom line is there is "no rule" for "where" you talk story. Once again it all comes down to the type of people and the type of restaurant your playing in. We have people who are from Hawai'i,visit Hawai'i, love Hawai'i and enjoy our "aloha spirit". Thats what we do. Its all part of the experience.

Duke, To answer your question in my opinion. Just do it little by little. You will figure out what is comfortable to you within time. guage the intrest of the crowd. If they are not responsive then back off a bit... Or maybe talking period is not meant for the place your in (where is it?)... Folks in our place that are not there for the music enjoy the excitment of the enviorment and "NOBODY" has ever complained about the "Talk Story". Either way brah you will know just by the look and feel of the mana (energy) in da people. And you know what if its a tourist kine place then they eat that kind of stuff up!

I look forward to seeing you on Maui. Are you ever in Kihei? I will be at my moms house and we are having a Christmas party sometime around the 20th? Uncle George K will be there with his Ohana. We would love to have you there. I will give you more details when we I get em'. Maybe a Kanikapila session? I will try to make it for one of your shows. Sounds like fun.

I love long letters... My mom always told me "eh you can write boy!"
Malama pono
Timmy

Edited by - alohakanakaluka on 12/03/2005 9:59:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  07:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Raymond and Timmy. All helpful information. And thanks for the open invitation to the party Tim. Will try to keep you posted about any kanikapila happening in Waihe'e. We haven't gotten together in quite awhile. Maybe sometime before Christmas.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

leokiekie
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  07:44:20 AM  Show Profile
what's the use in playing hawaiian music if you don't really know and share the meaning behind the mele you're playing? i agree with timmy. hawaiian music is an oral history that is invaluable to the preservation of hawaiian culture. every mele is a written journal of people, places, events, feelings, and personal experiences and rememberences by the composer. The poetry of hawaiian mele speaks of places, people, kings, queens and of enduring love between friends and lovers. hawaiian mele is a folk music that needs to be explained to all who are willing to listen. if we don't "talk story" about the mele, the next generation will certainly lose all the kaona and meaning behind each and every mele we play. And each and every mele we play will be just be..........a song.

vince fernandez
www.hunawai.com

Edited by - leokiekie on 12/04/2005 08:00:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  10:42:08 AM  Show Profile
IMHO - PLaying at a restaurant, when you are not a highlight performer - such as the feature act of a nightclub - is a specific type of venue. It is not the kind of venue where passing on the tradition is intended. The music at a restaurant is incidental music, intended to contribute to the overall atmosphere and experience of the place.
It certainly should not be the only place where Hawaiian music is played, and there are many more appropriate places to share and pass on the tradition.

Edited by - RJS on 12/04/2005 4:17:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

alohakanakaluka
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  8:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit alohakanakaluka's Homepage
Duke and Steve,
Good Luck playing your restaurant gigs... Have fun with it and remember what kind of music your playing. Hawaiian music. Talk all you want and get the crowd involved! Call up dancers if its your style, See if anybody in the crowd wants to come up and join in on a song or two! Just remember that we support you all the way! Talk to the owner/manager and see what he is looking for with his clientel. See what S(he) wants because they will have an idea of what the people that come in their place are lookin for. This is advise from someone who knows restaurants. My family has been in the business, and I am in the business. We do great and so from a restaurant owner to a musician enjoy yourself! You aren't just incidentals your Ohana! At least in our place you are! "There is always a place for Hawaiian Tradition"... We invite you to come check out our place on Thursday nights. Aloha, sharing, talkstory, hula, good vibes and good food! Guaranteed! You never know what's next at da grille! Maybe we will have one of you over here sometime to play!
Aloha and good luck!
Timmy

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2005 :  9:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Having had a few contacts with Steve I am reasonably sure of one thing = he will do what he wants regardless of what any of us post.
Go get 'em
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  01:38:28 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Kakou,

Wow! Leave you folks alone for a few days and you fill up plenny kine space! Right on! Each one of your posts have something I can take something from. I appreciate your support, your advice and your humor. Sometimes people have different views on things and that is actually a good thing. I love to see your commitment to your ideas because it helps me to dig further and uncover why you are so committed to it. Either way, your passion to pass on your ideas matters alot to me. I really appreciate your help and hope others can benefit from your suggestions as well.
This has turned out to be a wealth of information and support. Bigger than I anticipated. The restaurant owner and I have talked only briefly as I wasn't prepared to commit to anything. Now, thanks to you all, I feel much more confident about moving forward. That being said I am still open to hearing more posts. Please feel free to email me directly through this forum if your hesitant about posting publicly, I am open to hearing all angles. Ray, in regards to your last statement, it sounds as though you've been talking to my mom! Truth is, what you see in me is the result of a person with a creative side that operates outside of the box. I'm a risk taker and the advice that you and everyone else has given me can be thought of as risk management strategies or just darned good advice. You are right, I am free spirit and now I'm a little wiser because of what you and everyone else has posted. So to all of you.....

Mahalo nui for chiming in!!
Mele Kalikimaka, Hauoli Maka Hiki Hou!
Kiwini

Edited by - Kiwini on 12/05/2005 01:47:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  10:27:02 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Kiwini,
Ahhh schucks Portagee boy, no make shy, and no make ass. Piece of cake.
I already know you can play, and quite well too. Get your songs down well, practice till you have about 30 minutes worth of music. Six is a good number if you include song intro's and some very short story telling.
You'll probably be nervous your first time out, break the ice, tell the crowd. "hey, I'm a little nervous, its my first time out" dah! My first time out I just focused on the guitar, too shy to look at the audience and this helped. Then just play.
You can always play songs in front of neighbors, people at work, etc.. to see where you might "stumble" on certain songs for practice.
Best of luck to you, I know you'll do great.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000