Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Vote: a new section for non-Hawaiian open tunings?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  5:58:37 PM  Show Profile
I always played the Christmas Songs in a Hawaiian Slack Key Style. The melody and lyrics may have other origins but not now.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  10:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by slackkeymike

quote:
Originally posted by cpatchWhat was proposed was a general section for any music in open tunings, not a section for non-Hawaiian tunes in a slack-key style.

Could you please provide an example...I am not sure I follow that...

For example, I think one song that you would not include (based on your definition) would be Crow River Waltz because it is not slack key style, but it is open tuning. I guess some of the Christmas songs qualify as non-Hawaiian, but slack key style?

I'm sure someone else can argue the technical aspects of the style, but to me it comes down to the intent. Is the intent to take a song and give it the Hawaiian slack key treatment or is it just a song that happens to be played in an open tuning. It's the latter that I'm against in terms of adding to the forums here.

Assuming a song like Crow River Waltz (which I've never heard) could given a slack key arrangement in a given tuning (even standard tuning) then that arrangement would belong here.

Perhaps my point would be better expressed by saying that TP is not an open (or alternate) tuning forum...it is "an online community dedicated to Hawaiian slack key guitar & `ukulele."

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/20/2006 1:24:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  12:00:53 PM  Show Profile
Actually, this thread has a somewhat erroneous word in its title.

The tunings used by people like Bensusan, Kottke, McMeen, Hedges, et.al. are not really "open", they are "Alternate Tunings" - alternates to the "Standard Tuning" dogma (like DAGDAD, or whatever). For most of these artists, the choice of a tuning has to do with their own vision of a particular kind of sound for a particular kind of music. El McMeen, for instance, insists that his own C tuning (one note away from Leonard's C), is particularly suited to Celtic music and arpeggios derived from harp music; more so than Bensusan's DADGAD, he has said.

I don't write this merely to be pedantic. I fail to see how what El does, for instance, (even though he is a nice guy, a great guitarist, and wrote a song in Taropatch to please Sarah) with Celtic music is germane to Hawaiian slack key music. There are gobs of "alternate" tunings and none of them do much for slack key pieces, although I am sure you can find one that fits one slack key piece fairly well.

There has certainly been a "survival of the fittest" process going on over the last 150 years that has resulted in the tunings that are used in slack key. Does anyone think that this lineage of artists has been unexposed or dumb - that they would use all the tunings that George Winston has categorized and not others that would offer better results?

So, if a tuning intrigues you for a slack key piece, just bring it up, as Nancy has already said.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  12:35:00 PM  Show Profile
I'm intrigued by the fact that only 20 people have voted. I'm not at all shure why only 20 have voted. Perhaps the topic of the vote just doesn't have any interest to the others who frequent this site. Maybe there are other reasons
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  1:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
I dont see the need, theres lots of good specialty sites dealing with non Hawaiian guitar styles, last thing we need here is the "Downtuned Death Metal Flog Forum" :^)

Lee
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  2:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, thats what I was talking about...heavy metal tunings...

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2006 :  3:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Ok I'll vote. After reading the first several posts on the topic, I figured it was all but decided...

I vote no. For reasons that have been well articulated by others already. With no malice towards other genres, the Hawai`ian flavor of this site and the aloha that seems to be integral to the music and the denizens of the site are what makes it special and keeps me coming back.

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2006 :  8:22:55 PM  Show Profile
There was a movie (some time ago) "Dumb & dumber" or "Me Myself, & Irene" where Jim Carey is pleading his case with the possiblity of romance with a girl, and finally he gets her to admit that he had at least a one in a million chance. With that, he became excited at the possibility. With 3 out of 20, I hold out hope that a possibility still exists.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  05:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
LOL! That'd be Dumb and Dumber.

"...they's a chance..."

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2006 :  06:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, thats what I'm talking about!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  10:55:05 AM  Show Profile
I voted a resounding YES. Let me see, open it up and have a section that deals with OTHER tunings...possibly other music forms? Why the hell not? This forum is firmly entrenched in Hawaiiana, and I don't think that's going to change.

Example: I went to the Aloha music camp this last summer. I on previous agreement, was well behaved, and strived not to even touch a guitar. ( I did a bit) Made my ukulele, and just watched.
There was a concert at the end. Went late into the night because there were so many people
A few of them even played Hawaiian songs. It was pretty cool, and I don't think Hawaiian music was under any threat.

My own opinion is that branching out and being exposed to other forms of music and tuning will only enrich your present experience, be it KihoAlu, or whatever you like.

Don't click on the tab if you don't want to. Kink of like the uke, or upcoming concerts, etc. If you don't want to go there, you don't have to.

and finally, I am right, and can prove it:

You know, 152% of arguments can be won by quoting random statistics
64 % of all statistics are made up on the spot
Statistics are a bunch of BS, social science teaches you that.
Statistics make me right

Cheers

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  1:36:30 PM  Show Profile
I voted no as well. I would like this board to stay slack key...

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  4:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Holy Cow! Too much thinking, too little playing.....
Mostly no vote cuz don't care.....
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  6:32:02 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, almost 20%. Perhaps an experiment is in order?

OK, really, I'm not a trouble maker....

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  09:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Raymond,
I know why i have not voted until now....too lazy to scroll down the main page to find "Announcments, Feedback, Suggestions"
NOw that i have found it, maybe i'll stick to the top of the page where the meat is. As one person quoted here said, most topics die a quiet death. If you post something here noone wants to read or reply to, they won't and it will go away. That would be the best way to get a good "vote". The information (data) gained would be at least as useful as Commander piffle's statistical analysis would lead us to believe is in an acceptible chi range of probablitly factors. Or not.
Slackkeymike, go ahead and post some stuff on the subject, see where it goes. And, hey, what kind of guy never heard Crow River Waltz, anyway? And who's the dude that "warms up" with Chet Atkins? The first guitar song i ever tried to play was one of his from teh "Teen Scene" album (dating myself again) in 19 what, 57? Couldn;t play it then, still can't.
Certainly my meager ability to pick up slack key has a lot to do with my exposure to other forms of fingerstyle music played in alternate tunings. This form is most pleasing to me, but i have no problem talking about other styles, even here. In fact, this one site is all i ever wish to visit. As Nancy said, too much talk (or too much read an ponder) and too little guitar. Even George K. said it on the interview posted last week..He said,"..get a life", getout there and play, quit talking about it and do it (or wahtever else it is you have on your plate).
I do not think this forum will self-destruct if we include in our discussions topics like alternate tunings. Heck, we talk abut alternate instruments..harp guitar, bass, that have no basis in hawaiian music, we talk about all kinds of recording, amplifying, caching, sharing technololgy that has nothing to do with hawaiian music. Let's face it, we all have a comomon interest in teh music and culture. If, by talking about subjects a little off-center, we can gain a further appreciation and knowledge of music in general and hawaiian music in particular, then this forum has served its purpose.
See, another slow day at work (it's 40 below nad nobody wnats to drive, I guess), and look what happens! I talk too much.
Think I'll warm up with some Leo Kottke, do a little Pat Donahue, segue into Mike Dowling or maybe Roy Rogers, then play some slack key. All in Taropatch tuning

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000