Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Chicago Tribune "Grammy Gripes" article
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Touching on several points covered here:

When you join NARAS, you aren't joining under a specific genre-umbrella, but there are certain activities only open to members from the tech side. For example, I joined as a Producer, after producing two jazz albums, one gospel album, and several tracks on a number of folk albums (this was before Hawaiian music took over my life.) I can participate in certain activities in the Producers and Engineers Wing of NARAS. If I were an album Art Designer, I could serve on the panel that selects the Design nominees.

As Raymond pointed out, you can choose from a limited number of categories on both the preliminary and final ballots (nine, I think), so you generally go for the ones you know best. I never vote in the Rap or Alternative categories, even though I know some of that music, but I know Jazz, Classical, World, New Age, Folk and a few others, very well.

I am an Associate Member of HARA, as I have no Hawai`i recording credits, but have affiliation to Hawaiian music as a radio host, music programmer and entertainment writer, so I can vote on the Hokus.

Only 13 "Hawaiian" albums submitted? Wow - are people just not submitting their releases for consideration any more (if so, THAT would be a huge warning sign that something is wrong with the system)? Looking back at my own, very UN-official list of releases I got last year, I count at least 35-40 that I would call "Hawaiian." Is the classification too strict?

Mark, you are EXACTLY the kind of person to have involved - you are creative, you know many aspects of the business, you are involved in many music activities and are passionate about it. Who else amongst us could join?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  10:52:29 AM  Show Profile
"Only 13 "Hawaiian" albums submitted? Wow - are people just not submitting their releases for consideration any more (if so, THAT would be a huge warning sign that something is wrong with the system)? "
Yup.
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  6:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
The Grammy's, much like any award of this type, is nothing more than a popularity contest. Sure the system is faulty, anyone who thinks otherwise is certainly living in a fantasy world. But to do nothing at all and accept it for what it is, is just giving up before even trying. Just getting a Hawaiian category added was a victory in itself but you can't being satisfied with that...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  05:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Quoting from the submission form for Na Hoku Hanohano Award consideration:

"Hawaiian Album...must contain 75% of material in the Hawaiian language."

All of the criteria for eligibility is available on the HARA website:
http://www.nahokuhanohano.org/pdf/2006NominationCriteria.pdf

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  06:30:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Just some thoughts that I must preface by saying I love the music and artistry of all those associated with Hawaiian music. I admire the folks that make the music and the pure aloha they bring where ever they go.

That being said of the 35 - 40 Cd's produced in a year not everyone can be considered a winner, or a contender for a national award. There is a huge division on the type of Hawaiian music people like. There is a huge division on what island people like, and what mainland people like.

The category is Hawaiian music, and when the people who vote, that are not really up on Hawaiian music in all its forms, think of Hawaiian music, I 'm not sure some of the contemporary Hawaiian music comes to their mind.

What does is a sound of "Hawaii" called Slack Key which is not in the Tiny Bubbles category. While we all enjoy very talented artists that perform other styles its not the same.

I happen to absolutely love MAKAHA Sons. At a concert a couple years ago, one of them made the comment that they have never received a Hoku award. Here is a very distinctive and unique blend of voices. But do they compete as Hawaiian, just because they are from Hawaii, or if the 4 Freshman were singing today would they compete in that non Hawaiian group?

I haven't been around Hawaiian music all that long, but in these few short years, I have come to know and understand the dedication and personal sacrifice of the artists that carry on the tradition of Slack Key. For a century Slack Key has been put behind a door which was only opened a crack every decade or so. Now the crack has opened a little wider and already some want to beat it back behind the door.

Slack Key is the powerful voice of the islands. It's the only music I know that is played from the heart to the heart. In no other can we find the honesty, and the giving of a touching spirit, without ever being asked for something in return.

Its time to stop trying to keep it a secrete from the world, and for island people to be proud of what they created, for it is culturally theirs.

IMO to compete in the HAWAIIAN music category the music should be Hawaiian and not construed as an award to any style music as performed by a specific Racial group.

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  06:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Quoting Ianui:
"I happen to absolutely love MAKAHA Sons. At a concert a couple years ago, one of them made the comment that they have never received a Hoku award."

Nahhhh...Moon, John & Jerome have scored _7_ Na Hoku Awards:
"Best Anthology" in 2002 (Na Pua O Hawai`i)
"Group" and "Graphics" and "Haku Mele" and "Liner Notes" in 1995 (Ke Alaula)
"Engineering" and "Popular Hawaiian" in 1997 (Kuikawa)
...and speaking of that talented trio, they are celebrating their 30th anniversary today -- well-earned congratulations to each of them!

Quoting Ianui:
"IMO to compete in the HAWAIIAN music category the music should be Hawaiian and not construed as an award to any style music as performed by a specific Racial group"

Not sure what you're saying -- but here's the criteria from HARA:
Hawaiian Album of the Year: Best performance of Hawaiian music. Album must contain 75% of material in the Hawaiian language.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  08:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
"Slack Key is the powerful voice of the islands."
I agree, but I think the Hawaiian language is vital to the broad definition of "Hawaiian music". IMO, slack key guitar's popularity today isn't a resurrection of Hawaiian music so much as an emphasis on a single accessible aspect of the music.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  09:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Remember, slack key is not necessarily instrumental-only, though that adds to the accessibility for many folks. Hook 'em with the instrumentals, then reel 'em into the boat with a nahenahe vocal rendition of "Hi`ilawe."
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  12:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
I think what Ianui was trying to say is, just because a Hawaiian plays a piece of music that doesn't automatically make it "Hawaiian music". Which is true, in a sense. I agree with what Auntie Maria, Jesse and Retro all say about the Hawaiian language. Slack key is a form of Hawaiian music, but not the only form. Many slackers, including the masters, sing Hawaiian language songs. So now my question is, what happens when a slacker or Hawaiian singer takes a non-Hawaiian song or melody and plays it in slack key or translates the lyrics into Hawaiian?

Art
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  12:20:07 PM  Show Profile
Art, it happens all the time: Yellow Bird, Turkey/Chicken in the Straw, etc.

I don't think Leonard or Raymond would be considered inauthentic. Slack Key is a style.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  12:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Reid, I agree and that's exactly my point...

Art
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  1:34:21 PM  Show Profile
Many Hawai'ian Songs are themselves old Hymns: Hawai'i Aloha. Many of the melodic and choral forms used in "traditional" Hawai'ian music were taught by missionaries. Slack Key has its roots in Mexican Cowboy (Vaquero) songs. What is unique is how the chants and hulas were adapted into these forms by the Hawai'ians.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  6:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I don't think anyone doubts that Hawaiian music is a mix of styles and cultures, but this thread started about slack key, specifically solo instrumental music, representing Hawaiian music in general in the Grammy Awards because of the limited knowledge of voters in the folk category. Any disatisfaction shouldn't reflect on the quality of the winning albums, just that if you asked Hawaiians what Hawaiian music is, it probably wouldn't be solo acoustic guitar instrumental music. And perhaps that doesn't and shouldn't matter. Or perhaps I'm wrong.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  9:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Good refocus, Jesse, and right on the mark, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  06:34:59 AM  Show Profile
Slack Key RULES

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000