Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Kaui Low
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  06:04:44 AM  Show Profile
After reading the post by Mainkaukau in the Waihe`e Jam thread about Kaui Low dying, I found this obituary in the Kauai paper:

Warren Kaui Low

Warren Kaui Low of Lawa'i, died Feb. 2, 2006, at Wilcox Memorial Hospital at the age of 49.

Born May 6, 1956, in Honolulu, he was a musician.

He is survived by his daughter: Jennifer Moani Low and her mom V; hanai son: Jayme Shimamura; three brothers: Thomas "Komo" (Valerie) Low, Adrian (Tylene) Low and Clifton "Keao" Low; two sisters: Cheryl (Felix) Mena and Sandra Strutin; and companion Susan Tai; numerous nieces, nephews and cousins.

Family and friends may call on Sunday, Feb. 29, at Borthwick Makai Chapel in Honolulu from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and again for a celebration of Kaui's life on Saturday, Feb. 25, at Po'ipu Beach Park from 2 p.m. where services will be at 5 p.m. Scattering of remains will follow at sunset.

I've emailed Mainkaukau and Auntie Maria to confirm if it's the Kaui that I know.

Kaui was a regular performer on the South Shore of Kauai and played with Leilani Bond at the Hyatt and with Kirby Keough at Joe's on the Green. I talked to him in Jan and everything seemed to be fine. He was a very good guitarist and had the skill to play many of the slack key standards in standard tuning.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 02/24/2006 06:06:09 AM

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1003 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  06:35:25 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria and Mainkaukau have verified that this is the Kaui that we knew. Auwe.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  09:46:40 AM  Show Profile
I also saw the obit for Kaui in The Garden Island. Kaui was a wonderful singer as well as a fantastic guitarist. As Terry mentioned, he played in standard tuning flatpick style but a lot with a thumbpick. He will be missed.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000