Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Chicago Tribune "Grammy Gripes" article
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2006 :  8:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo to the ever-vigilent Keola Donaghy for pointing out this article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/arts/chi-0602120050feb12,1,698860.story?page=1&ctrack=1&cset=true

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Nice article, and very accurate. Two quotes I seized upon:

Keola Donaghy: "the feeling out here is that the [Grammy] voting is being unfairly influenced by voters outside of Hawaii who know slack key, but may not know [other Hawaiian] artists."

Kip Lukela Keala, lead vocalist for Ekolu: "When we have more musicians in Hawaii who sing and play different styles of music getting involved in the Grammy voting process, then the Grammy will reflect or represent their opinions."

It's the same point I keep harping on --- as long as there are only about 100 Hawai`i-based members of NARAS, their influence will not be felt in the Grammy voting. How many members of HARA are there? How many of them are eligible to join NARAS? Besides the annual cost of NARAS membership (around $100/year), why aren't they joining?

HARA & NARAS could easily team up for a major membership push through the Pacific Northwest Chapter. Offer discounts for new members, have a drive and contest to sign up new members. Alan Yamamoto is an officer in both organizations; he should be able to help coordinate such an activity.

Either that, or just sit back and let those who don't really know Hawaiian music pick the Grammy winner every year, and don't complain. Frankly, all the nominees the past two years have been excellent representatives of the music of the Islands. Does two years of slack key actually equal a "trend?"
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  12:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
With the Grammy's Hawaiian Music Category still in its infancy it might be several years before there is any sort of change in the voting results. It will probably take a combination of educating the current voting members of NARAS and having Hawaiian musicians become voting members before any significant changes are seen. Maybe the record companies could play a role by paying the initial membership fee for any their artists, thus, ensuring them the ability to vote if they so desire. It's a stretch but what the heck...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  12:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
That's a very reasonable idea, Art.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  1:53:56 PM  Show Profile
I wonder, world-wide, what kind of "Hawaiian" music albums are best sellers? Not just inside Hawaii. Maybe I'll ask Keola if he knows.

The grammy voting is a democracy. If you don't like the results, maybe you should vote.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:02:33 PM  Show Profile
I've come to a different position on this stuff.
The grammy's are basically a publicity tool of the recording industry, which is primarily based in LA. Bottom line, they are intended to sell more product. As much as winners would like to think so, an album getting a grammy does not really mean it is the best piece of music in that category for that year. By its very nature, every member of NARAS could vote for any category he or she chooses, whether or not they "understand" that music, or whether or not they care. Campaigns to "get out the vote," widespread publicity and name recognition have at l;east as much to do with it than everything else.
Why waiste energy trying to make it something that it isn't.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
That's true, Raymond. I may be one of the small percentage of Grammy voters who won't vote in fields where I don't feel qualified (which is why I tend to focus on world, folk, classical & jazz.)
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  2:49:23 PM  Show Profile
From a "marketing" slant, one album equals eight "Grammy Winning Artists". Just another "spin" on things. To me, winning is not what it's all about. Make Music!!

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  3:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message
Well, from where I stand as a newcomer to Hawaiian Music, no matter what the vehicle would have been, I wish I had discovered Hawaiian Music much earlier than I did. Whether I would have seen Slack Key, the Makaha Sons, Amy Gilliom or Brothers Cazimero... I would have heard it, loved it and supported it. Just like seeing Cyril when I didn't even know what slack key was, it melted me instantly... I guess my point is that regardless of whether its being judged accurately, fairly or whatever... I'm happy that its exposure on a large level whick will hopefully translate into more people appreciating and supporting Hawaiian Music. I can't believe I missed out on such incredible music for 34 and a half years...
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  7:08:10 PM  Show Profile
Ask your non-Hawaiian friends who won the Hawaiian Grammy. I'll bet as many know that as those who know who won best Polka album. First year there was a Hawaiian Grammy category there was publicity. Now its just relegated to the afternoon presentations and mention in those publications that print the entire winning list.

A more effective way of getting publicity would be for local pbs stations to pick up PBS Hawai'i series. I think many ran one of the specials from that series during a past pledge break. There are more specials and the actual series.

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  8:26:59 PM  Show Profile
Retro:

All voting members of HARA are eligible to join NARAS -- but to be a voting member of NARAS, one must have a recording credit.

The majority of music being recorded by island musicians is by far, non-Hawaiian. I'm on the HARA Selection Committee for this year's Hoku Awards -- of the 145 albums submitted for Na Hoku Hanohano consideration this year, only 13 are Hawaiian.

All of the HARA voting non-Hawaiian musicians, could join NARAS -- but would be allowed to vote only in the category into which they submitted their membership (reggae, rock, etc.). Any island musician who is _not_ in the Hawaiian category, has always been able to join NARAS and vote in their own category. Only the "folk music" members can vote for a Hawaiian recording.

As for NARAS and HARA joining forces, that's been done...more than once. The first meeting was attended by about 20 of us; the second one offered a bar, free pupus, and entertainment -- that drew a crowd of 75-80. Attendance at subsequent meetings went back down to 20 or less. Why? Who knows...?

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2006 :  10:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, but it is not true that you can vote only in the category into which you submit membership to NARAS. Everyone votes the "biggies" - album of the year, song, etc. You then vote for up to 5, or is it 9 (sorry I can't remember) categories from the list of categories. Each category has subcategories, as, for example, Hawaiian is a subcategory of folk. You can vote for all the subcategories within the larger category. Someone who joined under "Hawaiian" can vote for , for example, classical, latin, country, etc. in addition to "folk." One would hope that members vote in categories for which they know something, but there is no one actually checking up.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2006 :  4:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
All voting members of HARA are eligible to join NARAS -- but to be a voting member of NARAS, one must have a recording credit.

Hey Auntie & Retro. For the benefit of those of us with very small brains, how about some links and background?

I have numerous recording credits, on both Hawaiian and mainland albums, but I haven't a clue how to join either organiziation. I'm sure there are numerous TP'ers in the same boat -- depending of course on the definition of "recording credit."

At any rate, it would be a start. I believe firmly in the "big splashes start out as little ripples" theory.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  05:56:11 AM  Show Profile
Glad to help you out, Mark. Here's the link for HARA:
http://www.nahokuhanohano.org/
(click "Membership" for that info)

Here's the link for NARAS:
http://www.grammy.com/
(click "Join Us")

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  4:03:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Mahalo!

I'll be joining ASAP. Bribes cheerfully accepted.

For the record, so to speak, here's the text from NARAS (Grammies) as to eligibility:

quote:

How do I qualify to become a Voting member?
You need to have creative or technical credit on a minimum of six tracks (or their equivalent) in at least one voting discipline and the album must have been commercially released in the United States. Qualifying tracks can be on one album or a combination of albums. In the music video and craft categories you must have at least six commercial or promotional videos/albums released in the United States.

What is a ‘commercial’ release?
Any album released and sold in a record store or on the Internet on a non-consignment basis.

What is ‘consignment’ distribution?
Sales at venues, on personal Web sites, Web sites such as towerrecords.com, cdnow.com, cdbaby.com, amazon.com and any Web site where albums are not purchased in advance for sale to the general public, but rather sold individually on behalf of the artist.

And for HARAS:

quote:
Regular Membership

Open to all professionals in the Hawai'i recording industry. Included are resident recording artists, singers, musicians, studio technicians, engineers, producers, song writers, graphic artists and liner note annotators with a recording credit. Regular members may nominate, vote for and sit on the Board of Governors of the Academy; vote for all ballot categories, including technical categories such as graphics, liner notes, engineering and haku mele; chair committees, and receive the newsletter.

I'll bet more than a few of us can meet these criteria, eh?
cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  5:17:32 PM  Show Profile
There are two more categories for HARA membership -- the second one here is, however, non-voting:

Associate Membership

Open to all members of industries affiliated with the recording industries: radio, television, record stores, record distributors, record companies, arts and entertainment writers, other members of the media and professional musicians without a recording credit. Associate members may vote for all ballot categories with the exception of technical categories; may sit on committees of the Academy, and receive the newsletter.

Friends of the Academy

Open to anyone demonstrating a keen interest in the recorded music of Hawai'i. This fully tax deductible, but non voting membership, will entitle the member to the newsletter. Designed for the non-professional who wishes to support the efforts of the Academy.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000