Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hi'Ilawe
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  11:19:26 PM  Show Profile
I used Aauntie Maria's web site to listen to all the versions of Hi`ilawe that she sells....I know they are only about 1 minute long, but you can still get a good feel for how each person does the mele. I searched for Hi`ilawe by song title, and then just went down the list, listening to each. I really do like seeing the hula for this as well. Very powerful.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  05:04:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the sugestion Wanda. I still haven't learned the song even with all this background information--maybe because it will be an easy project. Hi'ilawe is a very beautiful and soulfull song. The words are awesome too.
As a coincidence, Alika just asked me to learn and record it a week ago, so she can sing to it. I am finishing a difficult project first: A Lili'u song arranged by Ozzie, and then I will finally learn it.
Ozzie's arrangement has taken 4-5 months (off and on) and I think Hi'ilawe will only take a weekend.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2007 :  05:07:35 AM  Show Profile
No'eau:

Mahalo!

Once you're in this tuning, as I assume most of the regulars on this list know, if you now tune the 2nd string down from B to A, you can play in Gabby's favorite tuning. In this tuning, those moving interval figures (for lack of a better description) can be played on the 1st and 2nd strings. In Taropatch these are the figures that you play up and down the neck on the 1st and 3rd strings.

As you point out, if the relative stress of these tunings is too much, drop down a full step. I play a lot on an old Gibson B-45 12 string, and I start out a full step below pitch just out of habit, then tune down from there. I take a much simpler approach to tunings, mostly just using Taropatch, or a drop C by lowering the bottom string from D to C.. This is great for playing Leonard Kwan type stuff. (Like Silver Threads Among the Gold...)

Hint: Try playing "Hawaiian Cowboy" in drop C sometime. Start with a bar chord on the 5th fret...

[i]I've been playing 37 years and I once saw a commercial with Pops playing that song and I saw where his fingers were and what they were doing. I could not figure out the tuning. Thanks so much. I know sometimes we go up instead of down. Thats why Atta's b flat is actually Gabby's C which Cyril also plays. But the b flat goes down (easier on the guitar neck) then capo 2 it is back to C. But the trick of tuning D to E and the other two bass strings down and leaving the rest where they are just never occurred to me. Larry you da bomb.
No'eau

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  9:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage
I am very pleased to hear that someone wants to learn my version of Hiilawe. I have recorded the song several times on my own albums and with my dad on his albums.

I would be glad to share information on my tunning on this song. Please email me at cyril @ cyrilpahinui.com

And consider attending one of my classes or workshops where you can learn it first hand.

Like the one this week held in Waipio Valley where we will be learning Hiilawe on site.

A hui hou, Cyril

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  12:10:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by cyril

I am very pleased to hear that someone wants to learn my version of Hiilawe. I have recorded the song several times on my own albums and with my dad on his albums.

I would be glad to share information on my tunning on this song. Please email me at cyril @ cyrilpahinui.com

And consider attending one of my classes or workshops where you can learn it first hand.

Like the one this week held in Waipio Valley where we will be learning Hiilawe on site.

A hui hou, Cyril

Aloha e Cyril, just wanted to say thank you for posting. Glad that you are here. Still have to see you perform one day. I love your version of Hi'ilawe even though I don't play slack-key guitar.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  09:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Cyril: Where can I get information on your workshops? I tried your website but it's "under construction." LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  09:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Leonard

Cyril: Where can I get information on your workshops?
Uncle Cyril sent me the poster and application available here

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  10:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cyril

A hui hou, Cyril

Wow! Another legend has graced the Taropatch forum. Nice to know that we can get first hand information by those who's names are synonymous with this form of music.

Cyril thanks for sharing with us here...and for teasing us with that fantasy regarding learning Hi'ilawe in Waipio Valley. What an awesome experience that will be for some lucky lucky people. I gotta' do that someday!

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 11/26/2007 10:04:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  10:27:26 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Cyril,

Welcome to "the patch" and thanks for giving us so many good lessons and good times at George Kahumoku's workshop over the years.

Mahalo nui loa me ke pumehana.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 11/26/2007 10:30:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  09:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
Thanks Andy. Looks like I missed it for this year. How would I find out about NEXT year in plenty of time to rearrange my schedule and get plane tickets? LRR

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000