Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ka Wailele O Nu'uanu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lisa Marie
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  12:26:56 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all-
I am looking for tab for Ka Wailele O Nu'uanu. Anyone know where I can find it? I am a beginner so nahe nahe appeals to me .
Mahalo in advance.
lisa~marie

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2006 :  4:42:39 PM  Show Profile
Words and background are here
http://www.huapala.org/Ka/Ka_Wailele_O_Nuuanu.html

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1004 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2006 :  05:07:13 AM  Show Profile
I play an arrangement done by Ozzie Kotani. The tab was done for a workshop in LA a couple of years ago. Email Ozzie and ask. He answers his email. Last one I had was ozziek @ verizon.net.
After I posted,
Pua kai says Ozzie ok'd me sending this to you. Email me your snail mail and if I can find the tab, I'll send you a copy. Be advised, I wouldn't consider this a beginner song. Depends on how beginner you are. There are some "interesting" fingerings, but it is learnable. The one characteristic that I've found is that I really have to think about what I'm doing next each time I play this. Rote drill doesn't seem to have sunken in yet and I've played it 500 times. I also was able to see him play it so I know what it's supposed to look and sound like. Let me know. It's one of my standards, now.

Edited by - chunky monkey on 08/08/2006 06:54:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2006 :  1:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
Qzzie's arrangement is truly fine. I also had trouble mastering this. Note sure why. Perhaps it is the cramped finterings you get into and all the unfamilair (but beautiful) chords. In a number of palces you have to think hard abut which finger goes on which fret so that you can get to the next chord OK. Ozzie gave some nice pointers on this at George's camp 2 years ago Texas Jim

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  09:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Lisa,

I just learned this song from Ozzie. True, it is slow and beautiful but I agree it is not exactly a beginners song. Technically, its a little challenging but not too difficult---however, the sheer number of different finger positions and transitions is difficult to mentally master. Took me a long time to get this tune down. However, it is worth it--I think its the most beautiful song I know how to play.

One key to this song is to think of the next phrase you need to play before you get there---mental preparation is important due to the many fingerings. Also, it is not a traditional slack key arrangement per se, no alternating bass rhythm for example. However, it is a real crowd pleaser and well worth the effort!

Good luck!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Marie
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2006 :  2:00:59 PM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone-
Mahalo for all of the great insights and advise regarding my request for Ka Wailele O Nu`uanu tab. I look forward to being able to play this tune (properly) one day soon.
Aloah nui loa-
Lisa Marie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000