Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Zoom H4: $300 handheld recorder
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2006 :  4:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Mark and Craig,

Thanks to you both for the updates. I think I'll be happy with the H4 as I don't really intend to use it for 4-track...if it comes to four tracks, there are other means.

Mahalos,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

steveleone
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2006 :  07:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit steveleone's Homepage  Send steveleone an AOL message
If anyone has had any experience using 4 GB SD cards on this device , please post a message about it...I had heard rumors that you can successfully use Transcend 4 GB 150X SD cards in the Zoom H4 .......
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  8:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I haven't used a 4GB card personally but I've read posts on other boards by people who have.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  08:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yo Ho -

Zoom has finally relased the new OS for the H4. It purports to fix the MP3 encoding issue, plus one other issue I'd not encountered (relating to using it to record sine waves when connected to a computer.)

Download the update here: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/download/software/h4.php. Yes, there are instructions, plus this wonderfully enigmatic warning:

quote:
Before you start updating, we strongly recommend you to BACKUP all data. Even if your original data will be lost by un-known reason, recovering is not possible.

Haven't tried it out yet, will do so when I get some time.

Happy zooming!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  09:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Also bear in mind (as stated in the fine print) that the H4 should be powered by its AC adapter while performing the update. (I toasted a Microtrack by not following this advice.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 11/30/2006 09:01:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I just got an Edirol 09 for work and it's an amazing little machine. Built-in mics with plug-in power are a plus and the built-in stereo mic recordings sound pretty good to my ear. A techie friend plugged in a Rode NT3 (powered condenser mic) and put the little built-ins to shame.
Other pluses: boots up quick (less than 10 seconds), downloads at USB 2.0 speed, several built-in reverb effect and is very intuitive to use. I pulled it out, put batteries in it and started recording.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R09/
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  6:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Hi and Aloha -

Question: Would ANY of these recorders adequately do the job of making a recording for the Taropatch CD or one's own CD to give to friends?

Thanks for the very informative discussion.

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1574 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  07:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Yes.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  1:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Question: Would ANY of these recorders adequately do the job of making a recording for the Taropatch CD or one's own CD to give to friends?

To amplify Fran's response: yes, any and all of of these recorders- the Microtrack, Edirol R09 & Zoom H4- would serve nicely to do just that. As would any number of other choices, including minidiscs.

M
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  08:26:17 AM  Show Profile
I just ordered one of the Zoom units. Mark and Reid sold me
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  09:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
What?! I recorded you playing with the H4 and don't even get a passing mention? I'm insulted. (Granted, a month later and I have yet to send you a copy of the recording, but still!)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 01/26/2007 09:28:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  2:42:06 PM  Show Profile
Chunky

Happy recording!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1005 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  09:15:02 AM  Show Profile
You're correct Craig. E kala mai. I forgot that I actually got to hear your recording and that's what got me started looking at it. Reid help me decide between the Edirol and the Zoom. I could use that recording that you made. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  09:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I was just kidding about being insulted but I do need to dig up that recording and get it to you...sorry about that.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  09:42:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha from Maui!

My review of the Zoom H4 has (finally) been published. Check it out at

http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/

Mahalos to Kevin & Ikaika Brown, the Royal Hawaiian Luau, the Hula Honeys and Robyn Mahealani Kneubuhl for their wonderful music.

I'd suggest following the links back to the reviews of the M-Audio Microtarck and Roland H-4 posted in the story to learn how they compare.

Happy taping!

Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000