Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Translation please
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  02:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Sarah! You never fail to amaze me...Your Kiho'alu stylings, the Hawaiian Language...More especially so, your singing voice. Please say hello to Reid for me. "Andy! Wassssupp!!!"

slackkey Bill

BTW! Miss you guys!
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  04:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Bill!

Great to hear from you again! Reid sez Hi and Aloha! How are you doing? What's new in Pa'ia?

me ke aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  04:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
SKB,

Aloha! Happy New Year. We miss you too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  9:49:36 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Everyone! All is fine in Paia, and the weather's been a bit chilly. No snow yet on Haleakala Crater! But boy did the "Big Island" catch it!

BTW! did the news about a Tsunami hitting the Hawaiian Islands reach you guys up there? I was doing some shopping at Maui's Home Depot, when my wife called me that Saturday evening 1/13/07.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it was to hit us at around 12:00 mdnt. By the time I got home, they had officially annouced it as misinformation (WARNING vs. WATCH). The good news is, there were no panic.

I hope to see you all in the near future to "kanikajammapila"! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  11:51:20 AM  Show Profile
We here in Cleveland, OH heard about the earthquake of the coast of Japan and that there was a tsunami warning for Hawai`i, but it fizzled out at 16 inches.

Maybe that is why it rained here for days and days and days .... and now we have snow up to our you-know-what.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

bankdude
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  07:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit bankdude's Homepage
Aloha, what does "Hale 'O Maui" mean, Maui house - house on Maui? I have seen Na Hale 'o Maui (a civic organization) and He Hale 'O Maui (a chant), and wondered if they mean the same thing as just plain "Hale 'O Maui. Mahalo, Joe

www.HaleOMaui.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  05:14:21 AM  Show Profile
In a word, no. Small words make a difference. Hale 'o Maui would mean Maui House. He Hale 'o Maui would mean Maui is a House. Na Hale 'o Maui would mean The Maui Houses. However, it is not unheard of that local organizations mispell or misuse Hawaiian (such as No Ka 'Oi car rentals...) so perhaps they mean Na Hale o Maui, or The Houses of Maui. Context is really important in interpreting things. Just curious, where did you see the Hale 'o Maui phrase?
Go to Top of Page

bankdude
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  12:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit bankdude's Homepage
Mahalo Sarah for the translation... I own the domain www.haleomaui.com which I use for my Maui vacation condo rental and I thought it meant Maui House, but was unsure. When I went to the web for translations I found the civic group and the Sonny Ching chant but no Hale 'o Maui, so I turned to my friends here at TaroPatch. Thank you again for your kokua.

www.HaleOMaui.com
Go to Top of Page

Colby Maher
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  11:41:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi. I'm checking to see if anyone would be so kind as to help me with some phrases I'd like to say in Hawaiian.

A bit of background - I lived in Hawaii as a child, grew up mostly in California, but my family is all on O'ahu, so I've spent holidays and summers there since I was a kid, so you could say I'm hapa kama'aina. I'm now getting married in Hawai'i and wanted to incorporate some Hawaiian into our wedding programs and events.

I'm hoping to have the following phrases translated to hawaiian:

--"Those Who Came Before Us" or "Those Who Walked the Aina Before Us" - My parents and grandparents were married in the same church we'll be married in, so I'm wanting to say something about honoring those who walked this same path before us. We heard a Kahu describe it once as "honoring those who walked the 'aina before you". A phrase indicating something of that nature, if a literal translation is not possible would work.

--E Komo Mai i O'ahu Nei - Does this translate to "Welcome to Beloved O'ahu" - I know "welcome" and "beloved O'ahu" and looked up "to", but again, I don't know enough about Hawaiian sentence structure as to whether these phrases can be joined in this way.

--"We look forward to sharing this time with you" - Just looking for a phrase to welcome our non kama'aina guests after "E Komo Mai".

--Aloha nui loa - can this be said from two people? i.e., "With All Our Love"

Mahalo nui loa for your kokua!
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  05:52:41 AM  Show Profile
Colby,

Here are some of my thoughts. I know there are some others who could add more than I can.

Sounds like for the 'äina phrase, there is a proverb of some sort you might be seeking, or at least a known idiom. Maybe someone else is familiar with the phrase(s).

You're fine with "E komo mai i O'ahu nei". Just don't refer to O'ahu nei if you aren't actually on O'ahu. That doesn't make sense, because "nei" connotes "here" (and affection, as well, in this construction). (Same goes for Hawai'i nei: it isn't appropriate to say it if you aren't in Hawaii.)

A simple phrase for augmenting "E komo mai" might be, for example (and I'm sure there are many others that could be suggested):
"Mahalo iä 'oukou a pau no ko 'oukou hele 'ana mai no këia manawa küikawä." -- "Thank you all for your coming here for this special time."
If you want to say it directly to an individual, you'd just omit "iä 'oukou a pau" and change "ko 'oukou" to "kou", like this:
"Mahalo no kou hele 'ana mai no këia manawa küikawä."
--"Thank [you] for your coming here for this special time."

Yes, "aloha nui loa" can be said from two people. Are you speaking or writing? "With all our Love" sounds like a written expression to me, in English. Some comparable written Hawaiian expressions are:
"Me ke aloha" -- with love
"Me ke aloha nö" -- with love [emphasizes love and respect]
"Me ke aloha pumehana" -- with warm affection
All can be said from two people, you just don't specify the pronoun; if you want to say the pronoun, you could say, "Na mäua, me ke aloha" -- "By/from us two, with love".

Hope this helps, Colby.

To the others: please correct me if I've misstated something.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Colby Maher
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  07:18:25 AM  Show Profile
wow. thanks so much sarah for the help. and thank you for providing the background (e.g., on hawai'i nei or o'ahu nei). we will be on o'ahu, but it's interesting to learn more about the nuances to the words. i think i've heard phrases my whole life, but never knew the true meaning or how to deconstruct them.

this is definitely very helpful to me!
Go to Top of Page

bankdude
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  04:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit bankdude's Homepage
Aloha again Sarah,
Which would be grammatically correct? hale 'o Maui or hale Maui"
Does one mean Maui House (hale maui) and the other house of/on Maui (hale 'o Maui)
Do they mean the same thing or is one usage "more correct" than the other?
Just curious, Mahalo again, Joe

www.HaleOMaui.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  06:13:13 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Joe,

To say "[the] Maui House", you would say "[ka] Hale 'o Maui", where the 'o is the particle (untranslatable) that indicates the name is a proper name and the name is positioned to qualify the noun before it. In Hawaiian, most "adjectives" -- I put that in quotes because that grammatical term is more of a western concept -- follow the noun they modify, kind of like in French, if you have any familiarity with that language.

To say "[the] house of Maui", you would say "[ka] hale o Maui". The difference is that the o has no 'okina, and means "of" -- i.e., it is a different word altogether.

"Hale Maui" is not grammatically correct. It would mean something entirely else, because maui (not capitalized) is a kind of sweet potato, and mäui (with the kahakö) means bruised, crushed, beaten.

aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000