Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 First Kihoalu Gig
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  1:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Alaho fellow slackers,

I just had an exciting experience I thought I'd share.

A friend of mine (Doug Fitch) called me up a few days back. Doug is an accomplished slack key player and has a regular gig at the Royal Hawaiian. He had been asked to play for the Kailua Farmers Market and did so last week. Turns out, he never took a break and wound up not meeting anyone and having a sore arm as a result.

So, he wound up asking me to play during his break, to keep the audience around and give him a chance to meet some folks and to get a little rest. I was nervous---very nervous---but decided to go ahead and do it. I have played out a lot in "standard" tuning which I am very comfortable in, but slack key is fairly new to me and this was a first for me.

I was anxious until I played the first few notes, then started to relax and all in all it went well.

I played: 1) Ka Wailele O Nuuanu, 2) Maori Brown Eyes and 3) Paka Ua. Then Doug joined back in and we played 4) Slack Key Lullaby and another song I'm not sure the name of, I just kind of strummed to chord changes on that one.

All in all I was happy with my playing and even more happy to "get the first one out of the way." It was fun and the highlight was when I saw a tourist taking a picture of me playing. The duet with Doug was also very well received, he carried me the whole way.

Thanks for listening and if you get a chance to play out somewhere, I suggest you take it. Lots of fun.

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  2:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Aloooooha, Lance, congrats on the first one. Whatever you do, don't tell my wife you played Ka Wailele O Nuuanu in slack, I told her it was impossible! She dances it and is always after me to learn it. I hope your family is well, and that we figure out how to hook up again some day.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  6:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Congrats. Glad it went well.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  08:35:37 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful story, Lance, and congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  4:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Lance,

Thanks for sharing your successful tale! Hope your next one is even more fun.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2153 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2006 :  05:43:08 AM  Show Profile
Always remember: The ride to the gig is more dangerous than the gig itself.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000