Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Augusta Heritage
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skinny1
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  12:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Has anybody in the Mid-Atlantic area attended the August Heritage theme week in Elkins, WV? I missed it this year but hope to make it next year.
I hope they keep the "Slack guitar" spot in their guitar week.

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  1:20:35 PM  Show Profile
Skinny,

I haven't "formally" attended but one of my best friends is an instructor and many of my friends regularly attend. They are all extermely positive about their experiences there and almost 100% end up taking other classes.

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  05:36:47 AM  Show Profile
Aloha. My husband and I attended Guitar Week this July at the August Heritage Center. It was about as swell a vacation as you can get. The comeraderie and fellowship was wonderful. Patrick Landeza was a most excellent instructor and is an all around genuinely swell guy. The first day of classes only two folks showed up for his lessons. Then, after the instructor concert and people heard him, theyn each day more and more folks would come to his classes. He is a trained educator by profession and a hi ho`alu player by heart, so he makes a most excellent instructor. The facilites are good. Constant jam sessions in the evening. You can either choose to stay on campus (At Davis & Elkins College) or get a hotel off site. On campus there is a beautifully restored Victorian Era mansion with 11 rooms that act as a hotel (and they teach students hospitality science). The restaurant at the restored Graceland Inn is wonderful. The town of Elkins, WV is wonderfully friendly. I would strongly urge you to attend. Also - if folks would write to Augusta Heritage and express interest in slack key, I am sure they would invite Patrick back. They have to invite you to be an instructor, you cannot invite yourself.

Wanda
Cleveland, OH

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

skinny1
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  4:11:09 PM  Show Profile
We live in Northern Virginia so it's nice that its close by. I will check it out next year.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  6:35:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Augusta has one of the best instrumental/dance/folk-arts programs around--certainly the best workshop system I've experienced in nearly 20 years of guitar workshopping. I'm told that it was the inspiration for Swannanoa. I've been a swing week participant for a decade now and have done a couple guitar weeks (when George Kahumoku was in residence), and it has been consistently excellent. With Mary Flower as the new guitar week coordinator, things should continue to go well.

And as Wanda points out, if you want to see a genre or instructor included or asked back, it's a good idea to let the Augusta folks know about it--they do take student feedback very seriously.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000