Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 I'm missing the aloha
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:14:18 AM  Show Profile
Aloha - I am Wanda from Cleveland, Ohio. My husband, Paul, is the ki ho`alu player in our family. I like to sing da kine but no have ka leo nani. I am fascinated by Hawaiian history, by the wondrous nature of it all, by the `olelo, by the mele (and the kaona), by the hula, by the generous, kind souls of the people. I am trying to learn the language -- both on line and by listening to the mele with my Kawena Pukui dictionary in my lap. We do not get very many opportunities to see the music/dance live. We have been lucky one time because Patrick Landeza (my husband's kumu)and Uncle Cyril came here to play at the Kent Stage. Also this past spring Keali`i Reichel and Puakea Nogelmeier came here to teach `olelo and hula workshop. We traveled to Las Vegas to see Patrick, Uncle Cyril and Uncle Dennis Kamakahi (one chicken skin show!). We have been to Hawaii three times and are going again in February. We saw the Bros. Caz in Honolulu at Chai's. We have been to `Oahu, Maui, Big Island and Kaua`i. I love just about any kind of traditional Hawaiian music -- especially ki ho`alu and falsetto singing. I work for the Defense Department as a quality inspector going around to factories in the Cleveland area that make "stuff" for DoD and inspect to make sure it is pono before being shipped to the soldiers, etc. who need the "stuff". I have found taro patch to be one very friendly and kind group of people. I posted something a week or so ago about searching for the words to "Keiki Mahini" and was overwhelmed at the help I recieved. Mahalo for the forum.

Malama pono,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  10:58:36 AM  Show Profile
E Wanda e, e komo mai!

Boy, you hit pay dirt going to a Keali'i and Puakea workshop. Keali'i is rightfully famous, and Puakea is one of the premier language experts and a superb haku mele. I'm jealous already!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  11:28:07 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Sara. Oooh - that Puakea -- what a lovely speaking voice he has. Hanohano ka leo aloha o Puakea. Ka leo nahenahe. Ka leo Hawai`i nei. Ka leo nui. Ka mana`o nui. He opened my eyes to so much! Since I was a newbie, I didn't know so much about kaona. After his classes, I was amazed at how much more complex the mele are than "mainland" music. With a few simple notes and chords, those mele have a depth that can never be reached by those who know nothing of writing Hawaiian mele. Puakea is working on all the old, old Hawaiian language newspapers and getting them digitized, translated, and searchable. He has found so much important history in those newspapers. It is a noble cause -- and a lovely thing for a malihini to do for his adopted `aina.

Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 10/03/2006 12:28:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  7:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Hi Wanda and Paul

I so appreciated you coming out to Las Vegas to the concert. It was a great night. I am pleased to hear Paul is continueing with his lessons.

You guys have jumped into Slack Key big time. Have you thought about trying to put an Ohio group together. A Ken Toth is listed as Taro Patch member in Cleveland where you are, and he last posted 10/13/2006?

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  10:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Don. Oh, that concert you put together was most wonderful! The `ukulele players in the foyer were great and played with such enthusiasm. Gary Haleamau was fantastic! I had never heard of him before (being new to this genre), but I was blown away by his guitar picking, his beautiful voice, and yes....even the yodeling! After the concert, I searched high and low for some of Gary's recorded music and struck out. Finally, we found Hemolele, which is where I fell in love with Keiki Mahine. Patrick was his normal wonderful self, Uncle Cyril sang and played so beautifully; Uncle Dennis was wonderful as usual with his beautiful poetry; the steel guitar, etc......It was all so fantastic. We really do need some of that type entertainment here in Ohio. Paul is certainly not yet ready to play ki ho`alu when he has gigs at the local coffee shops, etc. I am not even sure if there would be an audience for it, but I would like to think so. Why doesn't a promoter like you bring something to town for us. I am sure the Kent Stage would be a perfect venue. That is where Patrick and Cyril played when they came here. Also every year at the Kent State University, they have a folk festival. Perhaps this music would be well received at that time. Or a guitar workshop would be a great idea. Now that, I am sure, could be productive. Plenty of guitar pickers hereabouts, who would love to learn something new.

Thank you for arranging that wonderful concert. (Plus the slot machines were good to me, as well).

Mahalo nui loa,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  02:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha e Wanda!
He mai! Mai! Mai!
I'm so glad to see yet another soul on the mainland who loves Hawai`i Nei. I come from Maine, and I can't wait to go back to Hawai`i in about a week... woo-hoooooo! Hopefully we can wala'au together sometime. I'd like that. We could sing mele Hawai`i too... that would be maika'i no! I love singing too as well as playing the piano. Maybe we could email each other? Talk to you later!
A hui hou,
Alex

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  11:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha mai kaua e Wanda! Mahalo for posting. I was born and raised in Hawai'i on the island of O'ahu. I also love everything that has to do with Hawaiiana. I love the language because I took my 'olelo Hawai'i up to the 202 level in college. I would like to wala'au with you more. Please feel free to email me. Me ke aloha pumehana e malama pono.

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

pittdg
Aloha

22 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  1:41:42 PM  Show Profile  Send pittdg a Yahoo! Message
Aloha, I am also from the Cleveland area. I have been fascinated by the hawaiian heritage since my wife and I returned from Hawaii about a year ago. I replied to this topic because I am an administrator for DoD contracts for a distribution company. My wife and I are always looking for anything and everything "hawaiian" whether it be music, events, food, etc. My wife and I would love any help in leading us to learning more about the heritage. I know cleveland is not a place for that , but I look forward to the upcoming hula workshop here which is only 10 minutes from where we live. Any other options, please feel free to let me know via this wonderful forum.

Mahalo,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2007 :  2:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by pittdg

Aloha, I am also from the Cleveland area. I have been fascinated by the hawaiian heritage since my wife and I returned from Hawaii about a year ago. I replied to this topic because I am an administrator for DoD contracts for a distribution company. My wife and I are always looking for anything and everything "hawaiian" whether it be music, events, food, etc. My wife and I would love any help in leading us to learning more about the heritage. I know cleveland is not a place for that , but I look forward to the upcoming hula workshop here which is only 10 minutes from where we live. Any other options, please feel free to let me know via this wonderful forum.

Mahalo,
Dan

Aloha mai!

If you are interested in learning the Hawaiian language, I invite you to a lesson on Sunday, February 25 on the phone. If you're interested, I can send you information. Please reply if you have any questions. Either that or you can email me. Mahalo for the support!
Please see a topic all about the upcoming lesson at the following link:
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=4814#29801
Enjoy!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000