Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 ME
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wercampbells
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  11:28:23 AM  Show Profile
Hello,

I spent Thanksgiving in Kauai and attended a slack key guitar concert by Doug & Sandy McMaster in Hanalei. I LOVE THIS STYLE OF MUSIC!!! I have been listening to CDs of it at home (and work) ever since I got back. I want to learn how to play this style of guitar. Can anyone give any advice to me as a beginner? Thank in advance!

Mahalo!

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  1:06:52 PM  Show Profile
Ron,
You live in Orange County huh? Come hear us play at the weekly Southern California Slack Key Society, Open Mike in Oceanside every Tuesday evening. We can help you get started and will encourage you as you learn. I'll send you an email invitation.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wercampbells
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  1:56:38 PM  Show Profile
Please send the invitation.

Many, many thanks
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  04:07:03 AM  Show Profile
E Ron e, aloha mai,

Check out this thread called "Where to start with no guitar background"
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4377
Even if you have a guitar background, there is advice for instructional materials, etc.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  12:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Welcome to the 'Patch.

If you sincerely want to learn, there is no better way than to attend one of the many camps and workshops in Hawaii. You'll get to learn from great teachers who grew up inside the tradition, and immerse yourself in the music, songs and culture. Nice scenery, too.

There are great choices on Maui, Hawaii and Moloka`i. And don't forget Kevin Brown will be teaching at Lark Camp in Mendocino this summer.

You are lucky enough to live somewhere near a great group of folks who share their love and skills. Above all, have fun. It doesn't have to be hard!

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  3:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Ron,
The SoCal group is avaiable and willing to help. Some of us are not bad people . .

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  06:51:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry I'm just reading this now... It's been so busy through the holidays. Please come to any of the kanikapilas and open mics in both LA and SD counties. We all travel the 405/5 regularly. And you did miss a kanikapila with some fine musicians here on Saturday. Watch the kanikapila section and come. Everyone is welcome!!
nancy
PS: Several folks are excellent teachers and are a good way to get the initial feel before going to any workshops anywhere. Try to hook up with Rik Nieves, slkho. He's a terrific teacher!!!

Edited by - Pua Kai on 01/08/2007 06:53:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000