Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Old Time Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar ~ CD and Book
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  09:24:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The best deal around for someone who has already read through Ozzie's book or who has at least a basic familiarity with fingerstyle guitar...19 songs for $30?? An amazing collection that belongs in every slack key player's library (both for listening and learning)!

Lawrence, just curious...why would you want MIDI files if the pieces are performed on the CD? To quote Mark from the book:

"So I decided to take nineteen cuts–-twenty-four songs and over an hour's worth of music–-and transcribe exactly what I'd played."

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/23/2007 09:40:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  10:07:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Lawrence, just curious...why would you want MIDI files if the pieces are performed on the CD? To quote Mark from the book:

Because, with the MIDI files is is trivially easy to change Keys, Tunings and Tempo. This makes the material much more valuable to those familiar with MIDI (like myself).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/23/2007 10:12:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  10:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Mark,
Who did the Cover Art? I like it.

I wish I knew the artist. It's on a royalty-free clip art disc I bought some years ago. Uncredited, sadly.

I love the image -- and the dog looks just like Buster, part of the brother and sister team Annie & I live with. Buster can't hula, tho'.

RE: MIDI Files. Sorry -- don't have time to generate and post 'em.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  3:44:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
RE: MIDI Files. Sorry -- don't have time to generate and post 'em.
Hmmmm.... Maybe you could sell complete MIDI files of the tunes for an additional fee, say $5 per song (i.e. about $100 for the set). I would gladly pay such a price because it is a lot easier
than trying to generate MIDI from the recordings (via WAV to MIDI - fraught with problems) or the TAB.

Don't know how many other sales you would get for the MIDI, perhaps more than a few, but not zillions.

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  10:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You're probably aware of this already, but there are several software applications available that allow you to change the tempo of an audio file without affecting the pitch, and to change the key as well (all while retaining the nuances of the performance which you don't get with a MIDI file). I'm curious as to how MIDI would help in changing tunings unless you import it into a tablature application.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 01/24/2007 05:18:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  07:22:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
unless you import it into a tablature application.

...Duh!

Most MIDI Apps these days do TAB as well (and vice versa).

And what about GUITAR TUNING changes? How do you do that with a wav file?

P.S the wav-file tempo and pitch changers always generate artifacts that I find highly objectionable. I prefer modulated, tempo-changed Midi for rehearsal. Then, after the tune is comfortable I like to play along with an acoustic recording. This is my preferred mode for all new material when possible.

Mark's book is a really great deal for under $2 a song and he has already put some sort of MIDI out on his site for the individual $5 song "lessons", so I am encouraging him to expand on this concept.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/24/2007 07:46:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  3:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Most MIDI Apps these days do TAB as well (and vice versa).

And most scoring programs can generate scores from scanned music. From there it's just one more step to creating the smf....

So ya see, Lawrence, you have no excuse not to buy the furshlugginer book.

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Andy, this topic (or at least a copy of Mark's original post) should be moved to the "Books" section.

And from now on I think it should be officially referred to as "The Furshlugginer Book."

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 01/30/2007 09:57:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  12:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
LoL

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi all -

Thanks to the folks at CdBaby, you can now buy Old Time Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar on iTunes. Better, you can now buy individual songs - so you can just sample one or two or choose the ones you want to learn.

Here's the link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=216968139

I'll update my website so you can buy the book on its own, as well. (Though I doubt I'll be doing individual pages for each song. Too dang much work...)

Mahalo for the support.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  1:57:45 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

Just spent the last week working on songs from the tab book and listening non-stop to the CD (which I downloaded from iTunes). I know it has been said, but wanted to re-iterate how great this music is and how great the tab is. Hat off to you Mark...your playing is wonderful and I love your arrangements. In fact, many of your arrangements are now my favorite versions.

Also I wanted to tell you that I love your songs. They have great melodies and are a blast to play...Pua Lena, Taro Patch Blues, Kowali. In fact, after listening to the CD, these were the songs I wanted to learn first and I had no idea that you were the composer. I have your book that you did with Keola Beamer so some of the others weren't so new, but hearing them again with this new stuff was great. Anyways, I just wanted to say your songs are great so on top of the classics I think your songs were an outstanding addition. Mahalo. Your hard work and talent is greatly appreciated.

Keone
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  06:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aw shucks....

Thanks for the kind words.

For the record, I didn't write Kowali. Don't know who did, or even where I learned it. I think it's just one of those tunes that lots of people play.

Also, my Pua Lena bears no resemblance to the great Hawaiian song of the same name. In fact, it bears no resemblance to the tune as I originally wrote it! But I didn't know that until I got home and compared the CD to my notes.

cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  2:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello Mark,

Interesting about the Kowali. It's got such a great and distinctive hook that your arrangement of it is fun to play. Also ,its interesting to hear about the evolution of Pua Lena. It would be fun to hear about your writing process--how the idea of a melody turns into an arrangement with baselines, verse, bridges, etc. And then how that transmogrifies over time to a complete song that is distinct. That's probably too complicated a process to write about hear, but if I get to AMC at some point, I will certainly like to hear about it.

Keone
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000