Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tradewinds Records
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  1:40:15 PM  Show Profile
The owner of Tradewind Records passed away -- and according to many, took all recording rights to the grave. There are still some CD titles available which bear the Tradewinds label.

I've been unable to find out if these titles are just remaining inventory, or if ownership changed somewhere along the way.

So the Tradewinds mystery continues...

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  3:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
As you indicate, I had heard that Margaret Williams requested all the master tapes be destroyed when she passed away. That is all I ever heard. Never knew of the reason why or if anyone took over. If the masters are indeed gone, I guess no one would be able to continue distribution.

I can't think of anyone more qualified to look in to this Auntie. Thanks for the research!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  3:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
This should at least help to set the record straight. The following obituary appeared in the Honolulu Star Bulletin dated 7/5/93:

--------------------------------------------

Margaret V. Williams-Tufft, 8/21/1906 - 7/2/1993.

'Margaret Williams-Tufft, who founded Tradewinds Records in Honolulu, died [7/2/93] in Alameda, California.

"Margaret never made a bad record," said Noelani Kanoho Mahoe, who sang "Palisa" on the first disc produced by Tradewinds in the 1950's, on the flip side of "Boy" Suminguit's "Beyond the Reef."

Williams-Tufft produced about two dozen Hawaiian albums, featuring such musicians as Gabby Pahinui, Raymond Kane, the Leo Nahenahe Singers, Leonard Kwan, the Halekulani Girls, Atta Isaacs, Bill Ali'iloa Lincoln and Ka'upena Wong. In 1992, the company issued it's first compact disc, a re-release of "Hawaiian Christmas."

"She paid all the musicians, and everyone got royalties," Mahoe said. "She helped a lot of us. If it were not for Margaret, we wouldn't have been recorded."

Williams-Tufft, 86, was born in Florida and came to Hawaiian with her first husband, professional wrestler Cy Williams. Mahoe said she was inspired by hearing young singers and musicians at Waikiki to begin the record company.

Following the death of Williams, she married Dr. Robert Tufft, a San Francisco area physician whom she had known for many years and who had urged her to pursue her recording interests. She did not produce any new recordings after her subsequent move to the mainland but continued to manufacture the standards in her catalog.'

--------------------------------------------

On 11/30/94, Margaret's husband (Dr. Tufft) wrote the following letter to the Hui Ki Ho`alu International Newsletter:

"I appreciate your paper about slack key. Unfortunately, Tradewinds Recording is no longer functioning, due to the death of its founder, my late wife, Margaret Williams. It was her final wish that her company be dissolved after her death, and no further recording be done under that name.

"She was very instrumental in getting Ray Kane recognized, as well as Leonard Kwan and others, as she many years ago became interested in slack key and put out a number of tapes of various artists over the past 25 years.

"The remaining tapes and CD's were left with the wholesale house Music Craft, in Honolulu [(808) 841-6219]. These include the last instructional books of Leonard Kwan on slack key.

"She appreciated your efforts to promote slack key, her chief musical interest."

s/ Robert W. Tufft, M.D.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 11/21/2002 3:28:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2002 :  4:16:18 PM  Show Profile
Uh Oh, Craig! Now, you did it! The Honolulu Star Bulletin article is copyrighted. You now owe royalties :-)

(Please don't hurt me. Life nowadays is sooooo complimacated.)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000