Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Pilioha's Debut Release
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

glennm
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  8:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit glennm's Homepage
Mahalo for the support. We sincerly hope you enjoy it as it reflects our work, ideas, and thoughts over the last couple of years. Aloha, Glenn

P.S. we will be on the KINE morning show tomorrow morning (3-20) 5-8 am Hawaii time. I believe you can listen to it on their website for those people not located in Hawaii.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  05:49:48 AM  Show Profile
And I'll be interviewing Glenn tomorrow (3/28) on my show -- 7:30a.m. (HST):
http://www.kkcr.org/live/live.html

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  06:01:09 AM  Show Profile
Auntie - tomorrow is 3/21. Will you be interviewing him tomorrow or next Wednesday?

Mahalo,
Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  10:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Erk!

Glenn's interview is tomorrow.
The following Wednesday, I'll be interviewing Hoku Zuttermeister.

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  12:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Glenn, I totally missed your interview today on KHNL8 Morning News here in Hawaii. Wanted to hear you guys so badly. Once again congratulations on you debut CD!

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

glennm
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  1:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit glennm's Homepage
Alana,

Thanks for the words of support. If you are up early enough, we will be on KITV morning news tomorrow (Friday) morning.

Mahalo,

Glenn c/o Pilioha

Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  07:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Glenn and all the bruddahs of Pilioha and welcome to the Taropatch ohana. Always good to hear Hawaiian music played so beautifully. Looking forward to seeing you on my next trip back to my island home in Mililani. A hui hou...malama pono...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  09:31:30 AM  Show Profile
Well, I missed the radio shows, but I did get my copy of the CD and it is quite enjoyable - congratulations on a fine debut!
Go to Top of Page

glennm
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit glennm's Homepage
Thanks for purchasing the CD. We hope you like it. Mahalo from Pilioha.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  6:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Here's the review of Pilioha's E Kanikapila Kakou gig -- as written by EKK's own Carol Yotsuda:

Monday, March 26, 2007
Pilioha Rocks at EKK

It was music, music and more music with Pilioha on Kaua'i. They started with a Borders gig on Sunday, a Kukui Grove Center gig on Monday and gave a music-packed night at Island School on EKK Monday.

The instrumental hour featured Kamuela Kimokeo teaching "Ghost Riders in the Night" to the advanced students and Gary Kalehua Krug working with the ukulele circle; Glenn Mayeda raced back and forth between the two groups to share his mana'o. When I called "time" on the instrumental hour, groans of "awwwhhh...." indicated that they wanted more private instructions. It's amazing how good they sound with just one hour of instruction.

Like all other visiting talent, the members of Pilioha expressed their appreciation to be on Kaua'i -- "As soon as we arrive, we can feel our blood pressure going down!" Glenn told the doctor they just have to go to Kaua'i to bring the BP down.

First things first: Questions from the audience about tattoo-covered Kalehua who looks like he stepped out of a mortal combat movie rather than being on stage for an evening of sharing Hawaiian music. He told us that he is learning the traditional art of Polynesian tattoo from his mentor Keone Nunes (who gave a talk on this topic two years ago on Kaua'i) and that eventually half his bald head would be covered with tattoos. Many of the tattoos relate to his geneology and ancestral responsibilities. This process, however, is something that has to be earned through study; he is also studying to be a kahuna. Glenn assured everyone, "He's a really nice guy although he looks scary; you can talk to him...he's not on exhibit."

Glenn added, "Our mothers are Machado sisters so we are first cousins. Another thing we all have in common is that we like to yell at young kids." Three educator/musicians, Pilioha is comprised of Glenn Mayeda who teaches 8th graders in public school, Gary Kalehua Krug who is working toward his double major PhD at UH-Manoa (Hawaiian language & music education), and Kamuela Kimokeo who is teaching and working on his music major at BYU-Laie. Typical teachers, they kept testing the audience with questions on information shared, and those with the right answers got beautiful black Pilioha tee-shirts.

The trio launched into an evening packed with beautiful harmonies and stories behind the songs. They were invited last year to perform at the westside Kanahele graduation party and were thrilled to meet the sister of George Huddy who composed "Kekaha". It was surprising to hear such high falsetto singing from such a huge man.

To introduce the surfing song "Pipeline", they talked about their afternoon venture to Kalapaki beach where they rented styrofoam surfboards to attempt surfing, something that Kalehua had never done before. They managed to paddle out although they felt like they weren't moving in the water no matter how hard they paddled. Once they got out to the waves, they had to turn around and paddle back to shore because "the shark was coming from the side". Everyone could really get the feel of the thrill of riding on the wave with Kamuela's amazing guitar fingering, strums and steel guitar sounds and Glenn and Kalehua keeping the beat....their skill in music was way over their brief surfing adventure in Kalapaki. Huge applause and lotta laughing over their funny stories.

Kamuela wrote "Kahakuloa", a song about his trip to Maui with 11th grade students. Warm in the day and cold at night, the house on the beach was surrounded by hundreds of wind chimes, bamboo groves, the ocean and the running river making so much noise all night. He imagined hearing ghosts and someone calling his name . .. all of which translated into "nanea ko makou pepeiao" (so pleasing to our ears). The song describes the lush green cliffs above and below the single road, the popping sounds of the waves, the voices of the wind blowing through the louvers. Different meanings are hidden in various phrases, such as "wiliwili" describing the way the roads winds as well as the tangled relationships between the students.

Since this is one of the songs that the ukulele gang learned, we all had a chance to sing and play the beautiful song. The song at our regular speed sounded a bit different from the way Pilioha sang it ... much faster and much higher than we ever could. It still sounded great to our ears. Audience members came up afterwards to tell me how much they loved having the songs interpreted for them.

Another song we learned is "Kaula'ili/Pu'u o Hulu", a song with several versions. One is by Sonny Chillingsworth about the cowboy that fell into the lava tube, one is Sam Bernard's story, and one is Kindy Sproat's version. The song they shared had verses provided by Tony Conjugacion from the I'i Rodrigues collection.

"Pi'i Ka 'Ula", written by Kalehua and Glenn is a love song that incubated for five years before bursting into song. Written by Kalehua when his wife was hapai with their son Ka 'Ula, the lyrics are replete with metaphors and underlying meanings. Glenn said the music actually came quite quickly once he started composing it; it still took longer than the baby to be realized. Every bit worth the wait.

Kamuela said their CD has five-and-a-half new original songs and five-and-a-half other songs. In one of the songs about the adopted child of Pau'ahi, Kalehua inserted a verse for the child written from the perspective of parents taking care of an adopted child by building a world of love for the child. "This is how it was; this is how it is; this is how it's going to be."

They performed some standards with beautiful falsetto harmonies, "Hilo March" with little snippets of other tunes mixed in (Jingle Bells, Looney Tunes, and other recognizable but unexpected surprises) and Fred Punohu's song about how Hawaiians mix poi, made famous by Ledward Kaapana.

On the topic of Ledward, one of their mentors, they describe what it's like to record with this kiho'alu legend. It takes them about two months to record one song and Ledward walks into the recording studio and takes less than twenty minutes to record his whole song.

When Kamuela played his version of "Ghost Riders In the Sky", it was a WOW moment. It was good for the guitar players to see where they were headed with the song they learned earlier...like a light at the end of a tunnel. A long tunnel.

Pilioha did a beautiful rendition of "Nani Kaua'i" and invited Po'ai Galindo to dance the hula; all three were quite distracted from playing their music as they could not take their eyes off Po'ai's hula interpretation of the song. "Hana hou! Hana Hou!" screamed the audience, so Pilioha and Po'ai obliged with a medium tempo, key of F version of "Makee" about the boat that sank off the shores of Kaua'i....it appeared to be a faster-paced and way more sexy hula than the previous one; the musicians were totally distracted from playing music so they went to automatic pilot and they were fine. Truthfully, these guys could probably play in their sleep.

Now that the stage was open to audience participation, Sanoe Duarte and Nalani Duarte Vidal, came up to share their music and dance. Nalani said, "I'll dance in whatever key they play" and she certainly danced up and down the scale with such grace and beauty. When Sanoe sat down between Glenn Mayeda and Kalehua Krug, he looked like a sixteen year old, but when he hit the high notes with his falsetto of "I Kona" , Kamuela yelled out, "I going lose my job!" What a gift of a voice Sanoe has.

Finally, they called up the "Show Stopper" Keola Alalem who took Kalehua's guitar and filled the hall with his rich falsetto singing of "Kaua'i Beauty". Glad to see Keola back at EKK. "Hawai'i Aloha" closed an evening jam-packed with music.

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2007 :  6:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a wonderful event . . . I'm so-o-o-o jealous!

How 'bout you package it all up and bring it on tour through the Northwest!

Don
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000