Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiians in 2000 Census
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2002 :  5:06:44 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e hui,

This is not really Off Topic. I think all of you would be interested in reading the following publication (PDF):

http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/c2kbr01-14.pdf

It gives us an approximation of the number of people who might be susceptible to the strains of ki ho`alu and, maybe, the potential population of subscribers to TP.net. :-) Of course, there are lots of confusing factors, as who is a Hawaiian (really) and if so, do they have a computer, etc., etc.

Nonetheless, there are some striking things in the report: NY City has the second largest population of Hawaiians and Other Pacific Islanders after Honolulu. CT has 4076 H and OPI, NJ has 10,065. I am looking hard, but I only have encountered about a a dozen - and those were at George Kahumoku's concert in Deep River, CT.

Andy, you and Lynette should keep looking, too ;-)

There is also an interesting map showing pop. densities by county. There is a hotspot in the upper midwest, for some reason.

...Reid

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  02:20:42 AM  Show Profile
that's interesting about NY City. I would have thought it would have been LA or even Seattle area. Lots of kanaka in those places!

Thanks for sharing that, Reid.

Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  02:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Duke,

Sorry i missed you in Hana. Ikaika and I got in around 3:00. But that was the most Hawaiian wedding I've ever seen.

How long were you there? I know the food was being served till the next day. We played till 1:00 in the morning and people was still coming to eat.....Only in Hana! Sorry we did'nt get to meet that day. Maybe another event we could jam together. Hana is always special to us.

Malama Pono! hui hou!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  12:49:08 PM  Show Profile
aloha e Kevin--

I think our halau went on right around 3 or so. I had to go back to work so I had to run right after our performance. Lots of our members stayed until 10 and said the Brown Ohana and Peter Cosma were awesome. Earle Medeiros told me you folks played a non-stop two-hour set and still going 'til after 1 am. Auwe! I should have come back after pau hana. Yes, that was quite a wedding. Well, there will be others, I'm sure. Next time you come, give me a call if you need help getting a place to stay. I hope to make it over some Saturday for one of the Waihee gang sessions. Our halau is coming over this Wednesday to play at Kahului Shopping Center. I think we're on around 10 am.

Malama pono! Hauoli la Ho'omaika'i!

Duke
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2002 :  1:16:47 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Duke,

We must've just missed you, When we walked in the bride was dancing "e ka pilina". I'll try to make your halaus performance on Wednesday.

Duke if you have the time, We'd sure like to have you join us at the jam session in Waihee.
Mahalo for the offer.( a place to stay. )

Malama Kou Kino!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000