Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Not "Wai Kaulana" , It's "Paliakamoa"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  04:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks, everyone. I hope that all of you are inspired to try recording because I'm hoping to produce the next Taropatch.net CD project before the end of the year. I'm just working out the details before announcing rules deadlines.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  06:29:28 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, you got *soul*. You made that song pure and gorgeous. To paraphrase Sarah, there were no distractions from its essence - na'au ali'i.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  07:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Oh yeah. This post is something. All about `ohana and the music.

From Jesse's initial post with the sound clip to people providing answers and then to Jesse's recorded version. Wow. I am speachless.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  3:36:39 PM  Show Profile
Jesse. Your recording works for me. I've heard many versions and yours holds its own. Thanks for sharing. I also like this song a lot.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  12:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo e Noeau and Menpachi Man.
As Bobo Miles said on another thread, the music, outside of Hawai'i nei, is just different. But I was trying to recapture the feelings I had during family kanikapila. When we played, it was not competitive or loud. We tried to do our best and enjoy the mana'o behind the song.
My goal with this quickie recording was to just reset the song in slack key style from what my uncle sang to me. As it was, he was just winging it by stringing together various lines of the song he probably heard on the radio. It is similar to Mike Ka'awa's version with simple guitar and simple vocals.
Now I'm going back over the lyrics to try and get them pronounced correctly. Then I would like to go back and record myself singing all the songs my uncles and aunties sang to me while I was in Hawai'i in June. I'll send them all a copy as a
gift to thank them for what they shared with me. So many beautiful songs, so little time.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1573 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  5:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'm still fixated on "Pali O Ka Moa" - I can't wait to visit the Cliff of the Rooster and see the place that recalls the distant land of California.

While I was listening to Gary Haleamau some more this evening I realized I might be able to Google up a picture of the area. Here's a link focused in on the Upolu Point Coast Guard station. The airport is north up the coast.

http://tinyurl.com/2s5v8g

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  06:48:20 AM  Show Profile
I knew we had this mele at home....duh! It is on the Clyde Sproat "Na Mele Kupuna" http://www.mele.com/music/artist/clyde+%22kindy%22+sproat/na+mele+kupuna/.

On this CD, it is called Awaiaulu. Give it a listen. Jesse, your version is really top notch, I am really serious. Maybe you need to really truly record stuff for sale.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/18/2007 06:48:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2007 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Wow Jesse, when you coming out with your first album? Reserve one for me!

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000