Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Parts for Oahu Steel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  12:36:28 PM  Show Profile
A friend cleaned his closet, and now I need a pickup for an old Oahu steel guitar. It also needs knobs for the tuners, but those I can get. Does any one have any ideas where a pickup might be located?
Paul

note: Paul wrote this but was logged on as me. Me, I'd rather have Paul clean his closet (and me clean my closet, too). We have all kinds of falling apart/hacked up/trash heap guitars that folks give Paul.

Wanda

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 06/29/2007 2:43:54 PM

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  6:56:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

A friend cleaned his closet, and now I need a pickup for an old Oahu steel guitar. It also needs knobs for the tuners, but those I can get. Does any one have any ideas where a pickup might be located?
Paul

note: Paul wrote this but was logged on as me. Me, I'd rather have Paul clean his closet (and me clean my closet, too). We have all kinds of falling apart/hacked up/trash heap guitars that folks give Paul.

Wanda

Paul - Are you looking for an original, or do you just want a replacement?

keaka
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  08:21:07 AM  Show Profile
I would prefer an original, if one is available. But a replacement that doesn't require any modification of the body cavity would be ok. I hate to change the instrument in ways that can't be reversed, so carpentry work is out. If I could get this pick up rewound and potted, that would be good also. Right now, I just want to make music. I don't know if it has any collector value, and I'm not really concerned either way. I'm not a collector or an investor, just a wanna-be musician with a new toy that don't work. Scared to clean my closet, my camping knife is hiding in there, lurking in the shadows, waiting to pounce, just like a spider!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:22:46 PM  Show Profile
I thought I'd revive this, in case any new info is lurking any where.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  08:24:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

I thought I'd revive this, in case any new info is lurking any where.
Paul

Got picha? What model is it? Don't know if I can help, tho.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  1:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
This man is THE expert on pickups http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=104705

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  5:38:22 PM  Show Profile
Saturday I took the Oahu guitar to a shop across town to see if they thought they could do anything with it. They called yesterday and said it's ready. They put a small Fender single coil in, new knobs on the tuners(all 6 were missing) and new pots & strings. I'll pick it up tomorrow and see if I can learn anything. Never have learned nothing before. I'll probably look for a book/CD. First, I'll play some blues and try picking out a few tunes by ear, untill I get a book.
Paul

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  12:31:30 AM  Show Profile
What is a good book for a rank beginner? Kika kila coming home today.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  05:46:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

What is a good book for a rank beginner? Kika kila coming home today.

Hi, Wanda. If it's still there, the Jerry Byrd teaching method, a book with 2 CD's, is up on e-bay. It is encyclopedic, and you can hear everything that's tabbed in the book. They go for about $80. Scotty's Music in St. Louis also has them at $120 - these are official, and the difference goes to Jerry's widow. The guy who sells them on e-bay found a couple of boxes at a defunct music store. Noeau & I both have them. I, of course, skimmed through the first part of the book, and I've found the intermediate and advanced sections to be invaluable for getting further into the steel. If you have any questions, contact me (you know how, and thanks again for the cards and humerous e-mails). Greg Sardinha put together 4 CD's called "Hawaiian Steel", with all of the guys playing in Hawaii which is great to listen to. My mantra for learning: "Listen, Listen Listen" - I've sent money Auntie Maria big time!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  12:40:40 PM  Show Profile
Kika Kila is home now. She now has a Gibson pickup, and it actually sounds pretty good. The music store guy tuned to Em and Paul is retuning to Taro Patch. Gots flat wound strings. He did not have a steel. Paul went to about 4 music stores looking for a steel. Finally found one guy had a used one and just gave it to Paul. That was quite friendly.

How often should strings be changed?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  6:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Can't beat a steel guitar for o bucks Some players change strings like they own the string factory, and some maybe once a month etc. The other extreme was Uncle Barney Issacs, who rarely ever changed them I'm told. He was helped by Jerry Byrd once, as the story goes, with Jerry and his wire cutters
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  07:39:17 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like Jerry thought he needed to be prodded into changing strings.
On another note, everything I've read recomends a bullet bar, but no one really says why. It took me 4 music stores to find a tone bar, and the only one they had was a used flat bar with a diamond pattern cut into the sides. Somebody had given it to the store, so they passed on the favor. I guess Cleveland isn't a good place to find steel guitar accessories. Not many stores carry the instruments, either. Will I hamper my learning if I try to learn with the flat bar, or just not progress fast? We'll be in Honolulu in a few days, so I'll probably find a bullet bar in any case. But I am curious about the difference.
Paul

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  09:18:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Sounds like Jerry thought he needed to be prodded into changing strings.
On another note, everything I've read recomends a bullet bar, but no one really says why. It took me 4 music stores to find a tone bar, and the only one they had was a used flat bar with a diamond pattern cut into the sides. Somebody had given it to the store, so they passed on the favor. I guess Cleveland isn't a good place to find steel guitar accessories. Not many stores carry the instruments, either. Will I hamper my learning if I try to learn with the flat bar, or just not progress fast? We'll be in Honolulu in a few days, so I'll probably find a bullet bar in any case. But I am curious about the difference.
Paul

The one you were given is ancient (1940's or earlier). Somewhere in the steel guitar section here there's a thread about different steels and their uses. Bas has a great picture of a shelf with a gazillion steels (more than 20) of all makes and materials in that thread. IMHO, since Dobro folks do a lot of hammer-on's and pull-off's and jump the bar all over the neck to get their single string bluegrass rolls and melodies, they need something to hold onto.
Also, one of the techniques a steel player uses to damp notes is called "blocking". Dobro players block by lifting the bar off the neck while resting the left hand on the strings. When you go electric, there is a distinct noise made when the steel comes down on the strings again, so you block by putting your right palm down on the strings behind the picks, so the bar most often stays on the strings. The bullet is better for this, and you can do forward and backward slants easier for making chords than with a Stevens steel.
On another note, Paul & Wanda, my daughter Mary, who lives in Newport News, just got us tickets for the Led concert in early August in DC, so I'll get to meet you at last.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  12:39:26 AM  Show Profile
Woo-hoo -- Get to meet Slipry1! Way cool! And Nani and Prentiss will be there and who knows who else. Fun! Picnic before the concert, too. And great hula. Can't wait. Got hugs for you, Jack.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  12:31:56 PM  Show Profile
Go to Harryʻs and look at the Dunlop tone bars. Tell em you like the kind Jerry used. The shape of the bar facilitates slants and ptahs. It is easier to control.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 05/15/2008 12:32:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000