Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Steel Guitar
 Eminor in taropatch tuning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rclink
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  09:01:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit rclink's Homepage  Send rclink a Yahoo! Message
Hey bruddah

Trying to transcribe a tune from standard tuning to taropatch and can't figure out a E minor
chord? I am new to this tuning and it's probably simple, can you help?

Clink

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  10:24:33 AM  Show Profile
Hold the 1st, 4th, and 6th strings at the second fret, and leave the other strings open. If that doesn't allow you to reach the melody notes you need, try 2nd string at the 8th fret, 1st,3rd & 4th strings at the ninth fret, 5th string can be left open or not played. 6th string is not played in this form.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  5:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
The notes in an E minor chord are: E-G-B. The B is superfluous since it doesn't convey any harmony info, so all you need is E-G (Steel players leave out chord tones all the time.)

That oughta to give you quite a few choices.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  07:01:48 AM  Show Profile
Just go to this site:

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html

Select your tuning, or make up a custom tuning, then select the desired chord and it will show you all the places you can play the notes of the selected Chord. Then choose the finger pattern and tonality that you prefer from the available notes. Of course, there are many different ways to play the same chord, especially if you allow inversions.

P.S. Welcome to the patch!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/05/2008 07:51:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1491 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  08:14:03 AM  Show Profile
Just use this web site's tuning applet. Works well!
http://www.taropatch.net/tuning_applet.htm

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  09:38:23 AM  Show Profile
One of the reasons that steel players like 6th tunings (C6, E13, B13, etc), or other tunings with a 6th in them, is that the 3, 6, and 1 notes are the relative minor of the major chord at that position. For instance, in a C6th tuning (say, C E G A C E, from the bottom)the E, A, and G are an A minor. Since E minor is the relative minor for G, it is found at the 7th fret, where the G is. It makes things easier. I don't use a taropatch or high G tuning on the steel for that, among many others, reason. It is rue for a major tuning, like G, that the E and G notes ARE an e minor, though.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  3:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
It is rue for a major tuning, like G, that the E and G notes ARE an e minor, though.

I rue the day....
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  07:53:26 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

quote:
It is rue for a major tuning, like G, that the E and G notes ARE an e minor, though.

I rue the day....

OH, CUT IT OUT!;) See ya at Folklife.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  06:27:33 AM  Show Profile
Having grown up in Southeast Texas, this discussion makes me wonder if Mark & Slipry are thinking about cooking some gumbo!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  08:57:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FROPPE

Having grown up in Southeast Texas, this discussion makes me wonder if Mark & Slipry are thinking about cooking some gumbo!

I DO make a mean roux, if that's where we're headed. Learned how from Cajun friends of mine. My pal, Tina Pileone, who works for Mark Savoy, turned out a great video of a bunch of Cajun steel players a few years back. I have been know to play Cajun as well as Hawaiian. Lassez le bon temps roulez!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  3:47:09 PM  Show Profile
Then you should "roux" the day! I always make too much and freeze for quick meals.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  11:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Which brings me to the first 3 chords of Ozzie's "Aloha Kaua'i"...
both the intro and outro start with Rendevouz 1840's voicing which described E minor ( actually on guitar in taropatch, it's a voicing of E minor 9th --thank Pele it's not an A flat minor, I couldn't take the jokes!)

Essentially what a rocker calls "power chords" covering the 3 lowest strings, plus the drones...actually equals the Em9,
and then by moving ONLY the 1st finger straight over to the same fret on the G string and adding the 2nd finger to cover the 4th fret on the b string...you get a b minor 7th...keep the open strings for drone, and for easy execution of a fancy sounding chord...
then for the lost chord...
Scoot the entire shape down 2 frets...to "open (or 1st position), the nut (don't finger where you've gone below the nut...unless you like it on the dark side...and you're now at an A minor ( like 11th-dude, if you count the high 1st string drone...
These 3 chords are easier than the painstaking description in this here yadda yadda style....
Don't bad mouth tab!...
Anyhoo, these 3 minors in the correct order are all you need for Nirvana!
When I heard this opening sequence on Ozzie's blue cd....I couldn't stop listening to the intro...
I wouldn't go into work, or to meet my friends to eat, just a driveway moment, listening to the 3 big minors.
The rest of the song till outro is in G major....no retuning, it's right there
When you first hear these chords, you can't believe it's taropatch tuning...
I think the guitar may be tuned a little low for the recording...
This has turned up occassionally at an Ozzie's workshops...in tab...
Anyway, once you stay in your car, and don't go into work enough times...then you'll have all the practice time you want.

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  11:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh shoots, we're/I'm posting this taropatch stuff on the HSG board...
talk about the dark side...
Also, don't abandon the 5th, although many chord voicings choose to leave it out...both because it's extra weight above timberline.
But I like the open 5ths, and also the 5ths are the first ones to alter when you enter the "golden triangle" of altered dominants....then you can alter the 9ths and 7ths...and many tri-tone options...
"Where Tones?"
"There Tones."
or was it,
"Where Wolf?"
Ah, Wolf-tones, from Transylvannia.
Oh, geez, I Gotta go back to bed before sunrise.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 05/14/2008 11:39:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000