Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 E Nihi Ka Hele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  05:21:36 AM  Show Profile
I've decided to study this song and learn all about it that I can. The tune is beautiful and has been done so well by so many artists. I am especially fond of Makana's version and also Lono's.

Why is it that some songs do not have the "Ha`ina"? Seemed to me like that was a pretty hard and fast rule with the older songs. I can understand that the more modern music has been influenced by other cultures and other musical conventions. Once again, I am amazed by the musical talent of the royal family. That leads me to believe that musical talent is inborn. Do you folks believe that or do you believe it can be learned? If one studies hard enough, practices enough, listens enough, can one become a good musician? Or must that talent be there already? It just seems that there are so many musically talented families...the royal family; the Pahinui `ohana; the Kahumoku `ohana; the Beamers; the Ho`opi`i `ohana; the Kaapana family; Woody & Arlo Guthrie and their family; the Seeger family (Pete, not Bob). And of course, there are many families who are not famous musicians, but have plenty of talent and skill, everyday folks playing on the porch, at family gatherings, etc.

E Nihi Ka Hele - by King David Kalâkaua

E ka moana nui kai hohonu
E lana mâlie kou mau ai
E ka makani nui ikaika
E pâ aheahe mâlie `oe

Hui:
E nihi ka hele mai ho`opâ
Mai pûlale i ka `ike a ka maka
Ho`okahi nô makamaka `o ke aloha
A hea mai `o ka lani a e kipa

`Ike iâ Kaleponi he `âina anu
Ke hau ho`okuakea i ka `ili
Lamalama i ka `ili o ke kama
Ka wahine i ka `iu o luna

E hele me ka poina `ole
E huli `ê ke alo i hope nei
Eia kô lei kalaunu
O ka `ônohi o Hawai`i Great ocean, deep sea
Let your stirring moods be gentle
Great and mighty wind
Blow gently

Chorus:
Tread softly, don't touch
Don't be overwhelmed by what you see
True friendship is love
When royalty calls one to visit

California, see, it is a cold land
Snow that bleaches the skin
Glowing skin of the Princess
Lady of high station

Go and do not forget
To come back again
Here is your crown lei
Hawai`i is the heart

Source: In 1887, Queen Kapi`olani visited California on her way to England to attend the Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The title, taken from the legend of Pele and Hi`iaka, e nihi ka hele mai ho`olawehala translates: walk softly and commit no offense. Hi`iaka warns of the dangerous trip thru the forest of Pana`ewa and says "E nihi ka hele i uka o Puna mai `ako i ka pua o lilo i ke ala o ka hewahewa" or "be cautious in the forests of Puna, do not pluck the flowers, lest you be lost in the pathways of errors". This song composed by King David Kalâkaua for his Queen, is an expression of his love for her, a prayer for calm seas, an admonition to be cautious and careful in the cold of California, and a remembrance of his love, her duty as Queen, their nation and home. Translated by Henry Kaalakahi

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 07/13/2007 05:31:01 AM

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  06:01:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
If one studies hard enough, practices enough, listens enough, can one become a good musician? Or must that talent be there already?

I can comment on this part of your questions because it is me. Yes a person can become "good" without what I describe as talent. If that person also has a deep desire to express themselves emotionally, that person can even become very good. With talent, that same person can become great.
And, talent and greatness are so very obvious to those of us that are merely good.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 07/13/2007 06:01:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  10:55:34 AM  Show Profile
Talent can make things easier i.e. the ability to create or pick up a song easily, or sing and play an instrument at the same time, or a hindrance to learning convention music i.e. reading music, understanding musical theory. How many great musicians are out there who can't read music? And if they're already performing well do they want to spend the time studying music? Will practice help an untalented person? If the person is discipline and works diligently they'll have a great understanding and might become good and maybe not. You got to find the right music outlet, too. You might not be good at guitar, but you excell as a bass player. You can't play percussion, but you can sing. And finally if you got talent and don't develop it, someone with less talent can sound better.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  5:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Regarding ha'ina - they are most common in hula ku'i and hula 'olapa - strophic songs which are verse-only and contain no chorus. They are less common in songs with chorus, which are sometimes called "mele Hawai'i". Amy Stillman has done a lot of rearch into the structures. Hula 'olapa and hula ku'i are the same structurally - all verse - but hula 'olapa most often accompanied by ipu and hula ku'i by western instrumentation, though sometimes there is overlap.

I would hesitate to call the ha'ina verse (or one of the common variations) in hula ku'i and hula 'olapa a "rule", but most do have them. I can't think of any hula 'olapa that don't have a "ha'ina" verse though there may be.

The song you quote above is not a hula ku'i - note the chorus. Some mele Hawai'i do have ha'ina in them (I've written a few like that) but they are less common than in hula ku'i, IMHO. It does have a verse with a "closing" feel to it though, which is what the ha'ina verse functionally does.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000