Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Whatcha workin' on?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  2:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
What song(s) is everyone working on right now? For me (in order of progress):

Manuela Boy (90% memorized)
Molehu (90% memorized)
La Paloma (25% memorized)
Moe `Uhane (10% memorized)
Ho`omalu Slack Key (20% memorized)
White Sandy Beach (just started)

(I read books the same way...3 or 4 at a time. I don't complete anything for months then all of a sudden I'm done with several at a time. Keeps me from getting bored.)

Also, on my "someday, somehow" list is Hula Blues.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 12/30/2002 7:57:03 PM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  6:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, I've just got a Christmas set up to where I can play it in public. Silent night, Drummer Boy, A Medley of 3 Polish Carols, Two Spanish Carols, Shaker Hymn (Simple Gifts), a Medley of I'll Be Home for Chirstmas, White Christmas, Silver Bells; and , if an "encore" is needed, Jingle Bell Rock. Ozzie's arrangements on Silent,I'll be Home, White and Jingle, my own for the rest.

As far as my ongoing slack key, I'm working up Green Rose Hula in a "theme and variations" style in which I'm trying to incorportate some of what Mozart did on his Variations on a Theme by Hayden, but in a slack key mode, and struggling with a Taro Patch arrangement of Soft Green Seas.

Raymond Stovich
San Jose

Edited by - RJS on 12/21/2002 3:38:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  7:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
So Raymond and I are the only ones working on new songs?!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

ManaKapu
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  9:09:04 PM  Show Profile
I have a few I'm working on right now:

Keala's Mele (Leonard's C)
Cyril's Sanoe (D6 Add 9)
Wheeha Swing (G Wahine)
Kuu Ipo Onaona (Taro Patch) From Led's Video

I've only memorized a few variations on Keala's and Sanoe because I'm not familiar with the tunings. The other two I'm starting to be able to roll along and ad lib on, which is really exciting!

Aloha

Danno

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  10:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Prior to the 25th, I'd been working on Silent Night, Jingle Bells and Do You Hear What I Hear? From 12/20 to 12/24, I was shopping.

The "good" guitar has not been out of the case for a while. Maybe tonight, I'll take it out and try the new music stand that I got for Xmas. No more music on the legs, table, floor... you know the drill.

Don't know about you all, but I've been trying to figure out what to play for our little CD project. Been playing around with:
  • Akaka Falls
  • Or trying to come up will a new song in taro patch, yet to be named...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  11:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by ManaKapu

The other two I'm starting to be able to roll along and ad lib on, which is really exciting!
For me, ad libbing on a song is saying something like, "you know, this really is a pretty song when it's played properly."

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2002 :  11:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Pacobel Canon in D......
The Baroque rendition

I say that only because its Christmas......for you Christians.

What I am THINKING about, but not actually playing.....(after shooting off my mouth) is which piece I am going to play for the CD.

This makes it the beginning of Jan, and what I am submitting to Raymond hasnt even been put on my computer yet. What the hell, its only Monday !!! I've got another month.....

John...........JWN.....you ARE going to be going to Maui during Jan, thereby giving all of us an excuse to call Feb the due date...right?....yes?..

Gawd, its good to play in standard tuning again!!:)

his holiness,

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  4:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Man, I had just written a reply here last week and was about to hit "post", when the phone line went out in the storms, so I'll try again now from my brothers

Working on these(cannot play through yet):

Ipu Lei Manu
Ahe Lau Makani
Hi`ilawe
Aloha Chant
Punahele

Can play these through, slowly:

Paka Ua
Molehu
Haleakala
Salomila
Alekoki

As for practice/performance, when I play around others(limited, believe me), I always tell people I'm practicing publicly, not performing.

Ross
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2003 :  6:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha all,

i was off in maui for the last 18 or so days, and not using the computer much. i got to play with bill (slackkey) and got to meet kevin (ohanabrown). whenever i spend time with the maui gang, i come back with a fresh view.

i recorded several songs to select one for the CD (thank you again, raymond!!) i recorded lahainaluna, ho'okipa paka, dream slack key, and a multitrack version of hi'ilawe. i felt good about these songs, but actually recording them got me to look at the songs more closely. for example, i added some variations to ho'okipa paka, following bill's advice of trying to sweeten it up a song a bit.

i'm polishing 'opihi moemoe and working out mama's music box (by john kiawe), which is a beautiful song. after spending a few hours with kevin, though, i've decided to start going back to some basics and working through some of the old songs with words, like lu'au hula and ke aloha manini. sitting around swapping pa'ani was such a blast (in that terrifying sort of way).

hey ross, are you plaing ipo lei manu in a C or a G tuning? i love that song.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  12:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Aloha "Bruddah" Keith

Just wanted to say, We had such a great time with suzie and you. Im glad your doing Lahaina Luna.

Suzie thank you for your Mom's "Banana Chip" cookies. Bill and I had to almost fight over who was going to take the rest home. But being we're Ohana, we solved the whole problem.
We Ate It All...
So none of our familys got to taste it. sorry??
Mahalo for taking some of your time to come and join us at Waihee. Keith, Just wanted to say, Your style of slack key has a very pleasant sound. Very sweet!

Hope to see you in May???.... Until then take care. A Hui Hou..Give my Fondest Aloha to Suzy.

"Bruddah" Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  2:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha kevin,

we had such a great time with you all in waihe'e! sue's mom is glad that the cookies went to a good home, no matter how localized... thanks for the kind words, every time i play with bill and with you i learn a lot. i can't wait for our next trip over there.

i checked up on "manuela boy", and it was written by johnny noble in 1936. we picked up the "two guitars" CD at borders where they sing the words you sang; that's a great CD. they also have a few copies "three generations" and "kalo boy" there, so we picked up those too. the songs are all great; others, see if you can pick these up! 'ikaika can really play, and the "three generations" album shows why...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  3:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
For those of you trying to follow along:

Kalo Man (Ikaika Brown):

Info: http://www.interpac.net/~nahenahe/ikaika/kalo.html
Order: http://www.mele.com/v3/info/59.htm

'Ekolu Hanauna Nei - Three Generations (Ikaika Brown):

Info: http://www.interpac.net/~nahenahe/ikaika/hanauna.html
Order: http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1836.htm

Two Slack Key Guitars (Gabby Pahinue & Atta Isaacs):

Order: http://www.mele.com/v3/info/793.htm

All great stuff based on listening to the samples!

Sorry, I can't provide more information on the cookies.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  4:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi craig,

thanks for posting the full URLs. i should've done that but i teach in four hours and i'm still organizing my class

in case it wasn't clear, 'ikaika is kevin's son.

i'll see if i can get the recipe for the cookies

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2003 :  6:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No problem. Incidentally, Auntie Marie is out of "Two Slack Key Guitars," as is almost everyone else I checked, no doubt due to the fact that it's a Tradewinds release! I did find it here though (assuming they still have copies...my order went through OK):

http://www.hulasource.com/gabbypahinui.html

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 01/07/2003 7:55:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  01:32:48 AM  Show Profile
I just want to listen to ALL of you! Since I have not been to a concert in, say, 4 weeks or so, I need my Aloha fix. Wouldn't it be just great fun if all of us planned to meet somewhere in the middle for a long weekend, and just play our hearts out? Bring on the cookies and the okolehau! Sigh... Julie
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2003 :  01:48:26 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Keith and Craig,
Thank you for the kind words!
If I had a choice between the
CD's or the "Banana Cookies"?

I'D Take The Cookies!..haha!

So Keith are you back in the class rooms already?
Oh Boy! After a vacation on Maui, It'll take
awhile to recuperate. Thanks for showing me the
F chord. It's faster to hold, and much fuller.

We had fun! take care, give our aloha to Sue.
Hey Craig maybe you can come the next time
Keith and Sue comes?.....a hui hou!

Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000