Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 In memoriam - Uncle Sol Kawaihoa
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  12:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message

Sadly, I am posting this news from our `ohana on Maui. Slack Key Bill emailed me yesterday after visiting the Bailey House looking for Uncle Sol. Mahalo to Popoki and Kawika for forwarding the obituary from the Maui News and for sharing this photo with us.

Uncle Sol touched so many of us and was a master of ki ho`alu and respected kumu. Solomon Kawaihoa, known on Maui as "Uncle Sol", worked at Wailuku's Bailey House Museum sharing his knowledge of Hawaiiana and his music with visitors from around the world.

Although my personal fond memories live on, I couldn't help but feel an emptiness upon hearing of Uncle Sol's passing. The next time you pick up your instrument, please play one for Uncle Sol.

quote:
From http://www.mauinews.com/obit/2007/8/26/03sol0826.html

Solomon Kawaihoa, 76

Solomon Denis Kawaihoa, 76, of Wailuku, died Aug. 21, 2007, at Maui Memorial Medical Center.

Visitation will be from 5 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Borthwick Norman’s Mortuary, with a prayer service at 7 p.m. Visitation will continue at 9 a.m. Thursday at St. Anthony Church, with Mass at 10 a.m. Burial will be at 11 a.m. at Valley Isle Memorial Park. The family requests aloha attire.

Mr. Kawaihoa was born Oct. 9, 1930, on Maui. He was a teacher with the Maui Historical Society.

Andy

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  02:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Uncle Sol was a pivotal person in Sarah's and my life. He was our entre into slack key, into local Maui society (which Kevin Brown and others continued), and Hawaiian culture, in general. Without him our lives over the last decade would have been very different.

Here is my email to Uncle Charlie Maxwell after we returned from Maui in 1997 (Uncle Charlie was of the same `ohana as Uncle Sol, and first suggested to us that we contact him):

http://www.moolelo.com/talkstory/messages/141.html

We had heard Uncle Ray’s and Sonny’s Dancing Cat albums before we left for Maui, and, at that first meeting, when Uncle played with the bouncing needle (he had a rolled up piece of denim pierced with needles of various weights and sizes from which he would select the proper one) I told him that Sarah and I had heard Sonny do that. He said “But, I did it before he did and I do it the right way”. Sonny held the string in his teeth, but Uncle made a loop of the string and put it over his head, held up by his ears. He said he had learned that technique from a Filipino cane cutter who first saw him holding the string in his mouth. The cane cutter told him “Solomon, put it over your ears; then you can SING!”.

Uncle Sol had a stroke at a very young age and his right side was initially paralyzed completely. He told us that his boss, a haole from Alaska, sat with him day after day and finally convinced him that his rehabilitation was possible if he would play slack key guitar. Uncle Sol fought his way back to functionality - he told us he would have died (his words) if he hadn't been able to play slack key in the end. His left hand was wonderful, even if his right was less agile (it deteriorated, over the years, until Uncle was reduced to a kind of chick-boom, but the Hawaiian slack key feeling always came through.)

We corresponded with Uncle Sol regularly when we were home here in CT. Sarah would always make him a special hand-made Christmas card and we always got a wonderful letter in Uncle’s gorgeous Copperplate hand. He said that he had learned that at St. Louis School. They were so artistic and beautiful that we framed them and put them on display. How a person with a stroke could have created those works of artistic penmanship is beyond us.

Uncle endured some setbacks of various sorts over the years, but always overcame them with grace, and as a gentleman. He was a dapper dresser, known by every musician on Maui, a hit with the ladies, and maybe, most important, a true kumu; a source without peer. He gave us (and Andy and Kawika, I think) copies of his personal songbook that is a goldmine of slack key music.

The notice of his death was a true shock to us. Even here, 5000 miles away, we feel the hole in our lives his passing created. But his memory will always be with us and with the others who knew and cared for him.

Here is Sandy McMaster's profile of Uncle Sol. We met the McMasters at the Bailey house during one on of the many jams we attended in the Gazebo, just as we met so many people because of Uncle – including Kevin and Don Kaulia and Billy, and, at the first Aloha Camp, Kitty and Kawika Lengkeek, who were, perhaps closest to Uncle.
http://lists.topica.com/lists/kihoalu/read/message.html?sort=t&mid=1300645670

A review of Uncle Sol's CD (which we also have) with some more pix of him.

http://www.chancegardner.com/sol.html

Uncle Sol was an artist on the first demo disk of Rainsong guitars:

http://www.tagtuner.com/music/albums/Various-Guitarists/RainSong-Sampler/album-v21c8b7e

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  05:50:23 AM  Show Profile
Andy...Mahalo so much for your posting of Uncle's passing. I at first I wasn't sure if the news had reached you, Sarah and Reid before I did...As I try to send this email, my emmotions are so heavy, my tears flowing with that same emptiness all of you feel...That photo with all of us with our Uncle Sol will always be kept close to my heart...

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  11:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to pass this on to the taropatch ohana's, If any of you will be on Maui this wednesday and thursday, theres going to be a service for uncle at Normans mortuary in wailuku. To the Waihee slackers, if your free on wednesday evening at 7pm come and bring your guitars.

Kitty and Kawika said uncle Sol's cousin asked if there was anyone of us that could come. I can't make the wednesday evening but will be there thursday morning. ( thursday at St. Anthony church.) Bill, Duke, Ed, ( both Ed's.) Hal, Dan that belong to taropatch, lets give uncle one last kanikapila, gabby, sonny, leonard, and the other slackers will have an extra chair for uncle sol to sit with them in there own jam session. Reid uncle sol really talked highly about you and sarah everytime we saw him. He truely will be missed by all.

Ke Akua Pu.
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  02:22:47 AM  Show Profile
Lovely idea Kevin - a kanikapila chair for Uncle Sol. Play him one for us. Sarah remembers that his favorite was Pu`uanahulu.

Reid and Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  06:46:58 AM  Show Profile
These are pictures of Uncle Sol as I think he would want to be remembered.

The first is one that Uncle Sol mailed us and I think was taken by Kitty. It is at the Bailey House. Uncle Sol is looking very good. Notice the inscription in his Copperplate hand. Beautiful. The famous gazebo is in the background and, on the right, the hale with the restored koa canoe and Duke's redwood longboard

The second is the picture that Bill mentioned. Also at the Bailey House and, I think, the very last time there. taken by Lynette. From l. to r. Andy, David, Uncle Sol, Sarah, me, Bill and Kitty.

The third is a picture that Sarah took of our two original guides into the world of Hawaii: Uncle and Kevin, doing what they love and do best at a kanikapila.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  10:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Pictures say a thousand words. Reid, you just said 3000 words and then some. Thanks for sharing these photos. It reminds me to not only cherish the moments shared with Uncle Sol but the friendships in Maui and Taropatch.net.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  10:46:50 AM  Show Profile
Great pictures. Cherish them. All the more reason to document the kupuna and preserve their memories, their mana`o. It will fade if not kept in the forefront.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

kawika
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  3:19:00 PM  Show Profile
I would like to clarify the schedule for wednesday night that has been requested by uncle Sol's family. Visitation starts at 5pm. Kanikapila has been suggested to start at 6pm. Prayer service at 7pm with possibly more kanikapila after that until 9pm.
aloha, Kawika
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  01:09:44 AM  Show Profile
Aloha TaroPatch Ohana...Andy, Reid, Sarah and all of you who may have met Uncle Sol at one time or another. I arrived at "Norman's Mortuary" at about 6:10 this evening, and was very happy to see the "Bailey House/Waihe'e Slackers" all in the back-room tuning-up and just starting the "Kanikajammapila"...

There was Ed Bigelow, Kawika, Dan Sythe(Of The Maui Whale Foundation), Bruce Spencer (School Principal), "Aunty who played the ukulele, and sang so beautifully, a guy who plays a "Keola Beamer Double-Hole"...I can't remember his name, myself, "Bruddah" Randy of Waihe'e (He plays "Gabby's signature C-tuning) and very well-known Local Boy entertainer "Bruddah Wilson Kanakaole".

Before going in the back to join the gang, I went to Uncle's casket to pay my humble respect to him...and I remembered...When I began to learn "kiho'alu", and first joined the "Bailey House Slackers", how he always praised my trying-effort, and constantly encouraged me never give-up, or become discouraged...I will forever cherish those moments

As the "Jam-Session" began, I began my tribute to Uncle Sol with his favorite number during our "Bailey House Jams"...Pu'u Anahulu in open G-tuning, followed later by Ka Makani Ka'ili Aloha in C-tuning..."Bruddah" Wilson Kanakaole played a beautiful version of Ipo Lei Manu.

I really wished all of you could have been there with us...But then I am certain Uncle Sol was there with all of you...Did you feel his presence?

"To Uncle Sol...I will miss you dearly and the times we all jammed together...But forever you will be my inspiration each day I "kiho'alu on my guitar...Love You Uncle Sol!"

Slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  05:24:19 AM  Show Profile
Correction on Bruce's lastname, It's 'Bruce Anderson'. On my email I said Bruce Spencer...I still can't remember the one who played with "Keola Beamer Double-Hole" tho...

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

kawika
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  5:32:13 PM  Show Profile
Bill, the guy with the double hole "Grimes" is Richard Wirtz.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  4:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Popoki emailed me this today to share here. Thank you and sorry that I can't be there myself.

Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  04:14:49 AM  Show Profile
"Mahalo for sharing this "Memoriam Of Our Uncle Sol" Popoki...Andy." I remembered a time when Uncle was celebrating his Birthday up in "Iao Valley". One of his wishes was, to have all of us with him...myself, Kevin, Don Kaulia, Hal, all the regulars.

We were told to drop-by and surprise him. Uncle Sol...his face just lit-up like a christmas tree when he saw all of us walking-in with our guitars on our shoulders. TaroPatch Ohana Uncle was so...so HAPPY! Talk-about one 'chicken-skin moment...the 'puhiwa so strong. There with all of us such a joyful feeling so overwhelming.

That was a very special moment for not only for Uncle Sol, but for us as well. Just to see, and feel the Love he had for everyone touch us like a gentle breeze....That memory, and so many others will forever be in my heart..."LOVE YOU UNCLE SOL"!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  09:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Bill,

Sorry that I cannot be there for the celebration of Uncle Sol's life. He gave so much to the community and visitors alike. I really wish that I could join you guys for a song. Please play one on behalf of us here on the East Coast.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000