Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Who were members of "Sons of Hawai`i"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  01:55:45 AM  Show Profile
Here is who I know, but I am sure there are others I do not know.

Eddie Kamae
Gabby Pahinui
Joe Marshall
Feet Rogers
Mo Keale
Dennis Kamakahi
George Kuo
Ocean Kaowili
Paul Kim
Braddah Smitty
Pekelo Cosma
Gary Haleamau

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  07:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Tracing the Sons personnel can be tricky, since not all the performing versions of the band have been recorded, and even dating the recordings can be uncertain. Here's as far as I've got it figured, from the *Hawaiian Son* bio/memoir (which has a discography), the *Sons of Hawai`i* film, album notes, and interviews:

The first four names on the list are the original members that played the Sandbox bar and made the first, second, and fourth Sons albums. The third LP, "This is Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawai`i," substitutes Atta for Gabby and adds singer Bobby Larrison. (A version of this band, as the Maile Serenaders, also made the "Kani Ka Pila! Volume 1" album for Hula Records and, with some variations, served as backing musicians on Marcella Kalua's "Girl from Papakolea," [with Norman Isaacs on bass], "Charles K. L. Davis at Home," and "Bill Kaiwa Sings at Maunalahilahi.") Gabby came back for the boxed-set "Folk Music of Hawai`i," which also added Moe Keale.

After Gabby left the Sons in 1971, Atta played with them again, but he wasn't always available, and in 1974 Eddie Kamae asked Dennis to join, and he stayed on for more than 20 years. That is the lineup that made the long string of albums on the Hawaii Sons label. Sonny Chillingworth recorded with the band on their 1977 release--there are two vocals on last year's Sons compilation album, along with a couple with Diana Aki from that period. I don't believe that any of the players on the list after Dennis ever recorded with the band--there are no new recordings after 1980, and those seem to be the guys called on to do live gigs and (later) special-occasion appearances.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2007 :  8:58:39 PM  Show Profile
I've already mentioned this on my radio show -- so for those who may not have heard it, a new "Eddie Kamae & The Sons of Hawai`i" will be released this year.

I asked Eddie about the CD last week -- and he grinned and said, "This one's different; got tracks with 'the old Sons', plus tracks with the new Sons". That would be the gang at Honey's and/or the Elk's Club.

So expect to hear Eddie plus some (or all?) of the aforementioned "old Sons", plus the new ones -- Analu `Aina, Mike Ka`awa, Ocean Kaowili, and Paul Kim. Uiha!!!!!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  02:01:09 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful news. I'm glad Uncle is still excited about recording. I'm still excited about listening. When we went to O`ahu, I asked Ocean why he never recorded a solo album. He said he never got to it, but he was seriously considering it. Now that would be way swell. Just to see his picture on the cover. Ku`u baby hot-cha-cha.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 09/02/2007 04:49:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  07:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Aloha Folks,

Here's an interesting footnote...I was told Aunty Diana Aki was the only woman, who once was a "son of Hawaii"...that probably doesn't sound right. She was working on a recording not long ago, which had some really good material she was excited about...but I have lost contact with her. Anybody know if she ever finished it?

Ray
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  09:50:00 AM  Show Profile
I would LOVE to see a new release by Diana Aki. What a voice. What a repetoire.

Auntie Myrna sent Paul and I an advance copy of their release last year. Great music. What a gracious lady she is. Her and Uncle are quite a team. I wish there were ways to get more of their films on DVD. I am sure the market is there, just takes $$$ to release and market them, I guess.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  08:55:42 AM  Show Profile
Final touches on the next Kamae film -- about Lahaina -- are now being applied. Hopefully it will debut at film festivals this year, or early 2008.

No word yet on the next film to be released to the public on DVD though...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  09:18:24 AM  Show Profile
As Russel points out above.

Marcella Kalua did a wonderful album called "The Girl From Papakolea", in which Eddie plays ukulele, Feet Rogers on steel, Leland Isaacs on slack key, Norman Isaacs on Bass with backing vocals by Bobby Larrison and Eddie. Eddie even produced the album. If you ever run across it at a used record store, grab it. Sadly, even though it says that this was going to be the first of many albums that she would be doing....she only did the one. I'd like to find out more about Marcella, if any one has any info to share, that would be appreciated.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 09/03/2007 09:20:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

nick_borho
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  08:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick_borho's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Russell Letson

...The third LP, "This is Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawai`i," substitutes Atta for Gabby and adds singer Bobby Larrison. (A version of this band, as the Maile Serenaders, also made the "Kani Ka Pila! Volume 1" ....

Interesting you bring the Serenaders up, there are several albums... The first "Volcano" album which is excellent. Bobby Ingano mentioned this was one of his favorite steel albums.
Also the the second 'waterfall' album is excellent. I believe that has Peter Moon on it. Hard to tell who was on the sessions and on what songs sometimes. Here's a nice little link with some info about a 3rd album, which I haven't heard, http://www.hulasource.com/mailser.html

Like the Sons of Hawaii this was another all star band with changing line ups.

Nick Borho
Kona
http://www.nickborho.com
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  09:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
There seem to have been two Maile Serenaders units: the Sons/Isaacs brothers/Gabby/Charles Miller version; and the one that did the "Let's Hula" and "Hawaiian Songs for Children" albums. From what I've been told, the Serenaders was a house name for whichever collection of players worked on a project. Various combinations of these musicians also played the clubs together and had worked house-band gigs on the earlier Waikiki Records "Slack Key Guitar" vols. I and II and compilation albums.

Peter Moon played uke and guitar on the second "Kani Ka Pila" album--George Winston thinks he plays guitar on "Ia Oe E Ka La" and "Kananaka" and that the doubled guitar-uke figure on "Kahuli Aku" (with Gabby on guitar) sounds like his arranging idea. By the way, I'm told that Robert Cazimero plays bass on this album, but he's just about inaudible in the mix.

Figuring out the production and personnel details on these records is like doing a jigsaw puzzle with only part of the box picture to guide you.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  10:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Correction: The backing band on "Charles K. L. Davis at Home" (Hula 532) is the *other* (or mostly-other) version of the Maile Serenaders, with Atta and Barney Isaacs, Sonny Kamahele, and Jimmy Kaopuiki. I had it mentally flagged as Sons because I got it when I was tracking Atta's Sons work and this album came up in the trawl. Moral: Always check against your notes.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  1:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Interesting you bring the Serenaders up, there are several albums... The first "Volcano" album which is excellent. Bobby Ingano mentioned this was one of his favorite steel albums.
Also the the second 'waterfall' album is excellent. I believe that has Peter Moon on it. Hard to tell who was on the sessions and on what songs sometimes.
These two recordings were both originally called "Kani Ka Pila" (Volume 1 and 2) when they were released in the 1960s. (I like the original covers better.)

Peter Moon does play `ukulele on the second - or 'waterfall' - album. But contrary to the notes on the cover, Gabby Pahinui, in fact, did most of the steel work on that album, and the mystery bass player is not Joe Marshall (which is why his name doesn't appear on this one) but Robert Cazimero.

quote:
Here's a nice little link with some info about a 3rd album, which I haven't heard, http://www.hulasource.com/mailser.html
This one - 'Let`s Hula' - is nothing like the others. This is more of a hapa-haole swing album along with some comic hulas - no backporch slack key. The line-up on this one is Benny Kalama on `ukulele, Joe Custino on steel guitar, Sonny Kamahele on rhythm guitar, and Jimmy Kaopuiki on bass - none of the usual Maile Serenaders "suspects." It is one of my favorites, however, as I consider it largely a Nina Keali`iwahamana album because she provides most of the vocal leads (with a few more from Sonny Nicholas of Hawaii Calls fame).

Ironically, this same line-up of musicians is the back-up band on both of Auntie Vicki Ii Rodrigues albums, but they are not called the "Maile Serenaders" on those LPs. It is also mostly the same line-up as "Hawaiian Songs For Children" but swap out Joe Custino for Eddie Pang on steel.

We haven't yet mentioned the Maile Serenaders' "Evening In The Islands." This is probably the most interesting line-up because it is a combination of the folksy line-up and the swing hapa-haole line-up with a few twists. Gabby on slack key, Eddie on `ukulele, Charles Kaipo Miller on bass, Sonny Kamahele on rhythm guitar, and two steel guitars - Eddie Pang and Barney Isaacs.

I have had the wonderful pleasure of spending a little time with Don McDiarmid, Jr. (and much more time with his son, Flip, who signs my residual checks) and we regale each other with Hula Records notes and trivia. It's very cool to learn things about these artists and their recordings - even the trivia. I wonder how many others care about the trivia - like the story of the dog who accidentally peed on Auntie Alice Namakelua while shooting the back cover photo for the Sunday Manoa's 'Guava Jam?' I am a Hula Records "buff." I have every one of their releases and they were an instrumental (no pun intended) part of my Hawaiian music training. So when I got to record for that label, it was the thrill of a lifetime.

I owe the McDiarmid `ohana a lot...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000